Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone know this. The earlier post about the subject is old, so maybe it don’t count today.

I got 2 iphone. An iPhone 11 and a iPhone SE (2016).

Both phones are signed in to same Apple ID and basic same apps.

Can I take the SIM cards (I have one SIM card and one data sim card) and move between both phones (as I like) with out any problem with FaceTime & iMessage?

Frank

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The OP should be good as I swap SIM cards occasionally between my 11 Pro and SE. I will note that I’m T-Mobile.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for your reply guys.

Both phone are running on same network and no Sprint.

Frank

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone know this. The earlier post about the subject is old, so maybe it don’t count today.

I got 2 iphone. An iPhone 11 and a iPhone SE (2016).

Both phones are signed in to same Apple ID and basic same apps.

Can I take the SIM cards (I have one SIM card and one data sim card) and move between both phones (as I like) with out any problem with FaceTime & iMessage?

Frank

There’s some things you should know before hand. If you switch Sim cards between phones on the same network, disable Wi-FI first, followed by powering down both iPhones. Insert the Sim of your choice into the phone, power the phone back on, allow for the initialization to take place for approximately one minute, then re-enable Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Frankras

Frankras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
There’s some things you should know before hand. If you switch Sim cards between phones on the same network, disable Wi-FI first, followed by powering down both iPhones. Insert the Sim of your choice into the phone, power the phone back on, allow for the initialization to take place for approximately one minute, then re-enable Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the info about WiFi. Didn’t know that.

Frank

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Techs at Apple Store just swap sims while phone is on. No messing with wifi settings, no turning off the device. Just hot swap. I've seen them do it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've never bothered with any wifi settings when moving the SIM between my two phones and have never had an issue.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've never bothered with any wifi settings when moving the SIM between my two phones and have never had an issue.

Re-read my post. You’re not changing any ‘Wi-Fi settings‘, you’re simply disabling it temporarily. What happens is, the Sim card has to initialize through the LTE signal first before connecting to Wi-Fi. What can happen, is if Wi-Fi is automatically enabled, the Sim card doesn’t sometimes initialize where it may show no reception/no signal.

Reactions: compwiz1202

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Re-read my post. You’re not changing any ‘Wi-Fi settings‘, you’re simply disabling it temporarily. What happens is, the Sim card has to initialize through the LTE signal first before connecting to Wi-Fi. What can happen, is if Wi-Fi is automatically enabled, the Sim card doesn’t sometimes initialize where it may show no reception/no signal.
There's no need to do that, which is what I meant by changing wifi settings. I never have.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There's no need to do that, which is what I meant by changing wifi settings. I never have.

Which means you’re uneducated . That’s a direct carrier setting if you’re switching SIM cards, that’s specifically what they state. It doesn’t necessarily mean you will experience issues, it’s a preventive measure. But I’m sure you probably didn’t know that, because it doesn’t apply to you ‘because chrfr never had to that’. Ok. 😁

Reactions: compwiz1202

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Which means you’re uneducated . That’s a direct carrier setting if you’re switching SIM cards, that’s specifically what they state. It doesn’t necessarily mean you will experience issues, it’s a preventive measure. But I’m sure you probably didn’t know that, because it doesn’t apply to you ‘because chrfr never had to that’. Ok. ?
Apple store staff don't turn off wifi either to change SIMs, but you know more than they do, I guess.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Now i have done it a few times. One just swap the cards without doing anything else. Another time I turned off both iPhones and WiFI.

No matter how I did it, it worked fine. Only thing is that I get a pop up saying something link there is a new iPhone using FaceTime.

That works for me..

In the meantime I sold my iphone 11 and got at SE 2020 instead (as you properly have seen in an another topic on the site) , so now am rocking SE 2020 and a old 8 plus, but that a different story.

Thanks for Your input on the topic.

Frank

Wedger 1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Good news about being able to swap sims , I have a old 6s plus with a water proof case and working perfectly fine but have invested in the new iPhone 12 pro max 512gb and I think whilst walking and hiking I’ll use the older phone it will save me crying if I broke or lost the new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.