Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I know with verizon you can just swap sim cards without having to contact them. But if i take my current sprint sim out of my unlocked iphone 5s and put it in an unlocked (paid full price on apple.com) iPhone X will it automatically work like verizon? I'm new to sprint and don't know if i can just swap it or do i have to go into my account and use the activate/swap phone feature.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Sprint and Verizon both have to have the phone in their databases before it will work. You will have to contact Sprint customer service to get the phone in their database.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know with verizon you can just swap sim cards without having to contact them. But if i take my current sprint sim out of my unlocked iphone 5s and put it in an unlocked (paid full price on apple.com) iPhone X will it automatically work like verizon? I'm new to sprint and don't know if i can just swap it or do i have to go into my account and use the activate/swap phone feature.
Yes, but you will need to go online or call to pair the new IMEI with the serial number of your SIM. If you had an iPhone 5c or less then you would not be able to do this as these are a different SIM type.

Sprint and Verizon both have to have the phone in their databases before it will work. You will have to contact Sprint customer service to get the phone in their database.
Any iPhone sold from Apple is automatically in Sprint's whitelist. It's only unlocked non-Sprint carrier phones that need to have their IMEI added.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I know with verizon you can just swap sim cards without having to contact them. But if i take my current sprint sim out of my unlocked iphone 5s and put it in an unlocked (paid full price on apple.com) iPhone X will it automatically work like verizon?
No it will not. You have to not only have the proper SIM card type (there are many different SIM cards with Sprint, just because they are the same size doesn't mean they will work in a phone), you have to get the IMEI of the phone associated with the SIM card either by doing it yourself online or by calling.
[doublepost=1508955893][/doublepost]
Sprint and Verizon are completely different. You can't SIM swap with Sprint, you can with Verizon.
[doublepost=1508955939][/doublepost]
do i have to go into my account and use the activate/swap phone feature.
You have to associate the IMEI of the phone with the SIM card number. But like I said, you can only do it if the SIM card is the proper type.

However, even when I have the correct SIM card type, I get an error every time I try to do it myself online and always have to call. It's so annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.