Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi hope all are well!

This is actually an interesting one. Picked up this project with my Dad for...pretty much just a fun mod project. A matte black macbook just sounded badass to me. This began before the announcement of the midnight Macbook.

The plan was to separate the keyboard from the top case, and then plasti dip (a kind of spray paint) the top case matte black. It took time, along the way the IPD trackpad cable was torn, we got a new one and finally last night got it all back together. Wish I had some pics but it's at my parents' place. Looks pretty cool with the rose gold, the main difference versus aplying a skin was the black in the 'veins' of the keyboard.
When spraying, the top case had no electronics on it, purely metal. We waited multiple days for it to dry. Speaker holes / top bar was completely taped off and did not get any spray.

The power button works, the trackpad works, but the keyboard doesnt. We tried another keyboard to trackpad cable and it still didn't work.
Any ideas? I just cannot imagine where the room for error even exists - despite unscrewing probably 30 screws.

Process was - bought a new top case with keyboard. Had my existing 12" 2017 Rose Gold. Took it apart, got the top case, took out the keyboard. Plasti dipped it, then, took the purchased top case and also removed the keyboard. Migrated it to the previous top case. Put back all microphone, audio jack, etc. re assembled. Only hurdle / hiccup was the ribbon cable that was accidentally torn, which we purchased and replaced.

Any thoughts or ideas? Would be greatly appreciated! We've easily put 20+ hours at this point and...funny but, it was almost purely cosmetic, save for a few keys and some, what I call "key imbalance"
now, if nothing else works, the backup plan is to purchase another top case and drop the matte black idea and just put that on. Not ideal, even though the minute work was a great learning experience.

Macrumors, grant me some power! Most of all, I can't even imagine where the room for error is. My dad thinks something related to grounding with the keyboard?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
re-connect or recheck the keyboard and touchpad cable (probably one connector), you will have to open the case and clean connector and reseat the cable, also do the pram reset and svc reset.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
re-connect or recheck the keyboard and touchpad cable (probably one connector), you will have to open the case and clean connector and reseat the cable, also do the pram reset and svc reset.
Hi thanks for responding!
I tried those, and also tried a spare keyboard to trackpad cable. I should also note this problem occurred on two trackpad to MLB cables as well

Cleaning connectors I could try again. Heard an eraser on the back of a pencil works well? I used to just use the tip of an alcohol pad

I suppose I could try the smc reset, though I did do the NVRAM reset

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Try smc and clean mainboard connector not only cable one
Never tried eraser. Use clean alcohol or special cleaning liquid. Generally might be dust or something precluding connection. Also for test put old keyboard to check

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Try smc and clean mainboard connector not only cable one
Never tried eraser. Use clean alcohol or special cleaning liquid. Generally might be dust or something precluding connection. Also for test put old keyboard to check
Check this! I can do the NVRAM reset and smc reset via the keyboard. I can also use the power button. The keyboard has to be working on some level right?! Maybe a USB keyboard for another smc reset or something

Old keyboard actually got damaged on the way out, got a new one coming this Saturday.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Check this! I can do the NVRAM reset and smc reset via the keyboard. I can also use the power button. The keyboard has to be working on some level right?! Maybe a USB keyboard for another smc reset or something

Old keyboard actually got damaged on the way out, got a new one coming this Saturday.
Right. Maybe even wireless keyboard or USB keyboard. Anyway, did you reseat and clean the connectors?

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Right. Maybe even wireless keyboard or USB keyboard. Anyway, did you reseat and clean the connectors?
Thank you so much for all the help! Today that new top case came, and we noticed the cable from keyboard to trackpad was reversed! We reversed it and it worked! All working now! 😊👍
Presenting our custom Matte Black 12" MacBook!
16560410077113667725677965241519.jpg

Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Good to know! I assemble computers for last few years and such things do happen (like forgetting connect GPU) etc. Anyway, congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.