Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
Hello there, I have a question about swapping HDDs out of LaCie 1Big Dock (TB3 version). I use two of them in two different locations. I've read in a review that the TB2 version of 2Big Dock Raid units create a unique Raid ID for each disk inserted and, unbeknown to the user, if you swap the disks out and store them as archives, you cannot just put them back in and expect to read the content. The box will attempt to write a new Raid ID to the reinserted disks and essentially wipe them. Now, my 1Big Docks are still under warranty so I haven't swapped any disks yet. My question is, in the future when the HDDs are full and I'd like to take them out to store them as archives somewhere, will I be able be to read them again in other enclosures down the road?

The 1Big's design seems to let users easily change disks. It'd be a pity if the disks swapped out cannot be read somewhere else or stored safely as archives. Thank y'all for your inputs and time!

TBrandCDN

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2024
Hello! I was just trying to find out the same thing. I have a 16TB LaCie 1Big Dock... and would love to be able to use it to archive footage. I wondered if it might be able to "back and forth" individual drives and worried it might not work that way.

Have you learned anything since your post? I may test the theory soon; I just want to be sure to back everything up on the drive ATM.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
No, not yet. Still using both of them as they came. Please post back if you test them out. I haven't got a chance to test as I haven't needed to do so. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.