Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Will I be able to swap my ESIM over from my IP13PM to the new 14 or will I need to call Verizon?

Most likely you need call up your carrier and purchase a new QR code.

Personally, I HATE eSIM as this making changing phone harder... I often rotating my iPhone and Android every two to three months, I simply take out my physical SIM card to new devices.. .

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Will I be able to swap my ESIM over from my IP13PM to the new 14 or will I need to call Verizon?
According to Apple support, it’s an easy process and shouldn’t have to call the carrier. If Apple removes SIM tray there will be lots of swapping from esim and physical sim.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I believe with Verizon, you can simply just do this online without having to chat or contact anyone and I have done this few times. Just need to provide the IMEI2.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I got cricket wireless, and they got esim a week ago. I called them and within 5 minutes my call hang up and I got an email with a QR code and my new esim was set up. Sure its more pain to do it than a regular sim but not bad. And unless you need 2 sims like I do you can still have the regular 1 physical sim. I have two lines on my phone and it works perfectly.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
How easy or difficult it is entirely depends on carrier process. One of my carriers you can request online and you get the new QR within minutes, the other carrier you have to visit the store.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It also depends how you order it...you may not need to swap it.

Last year, I believe it worked something like this:
  • If you ordered through Apple and picked Verizon: It came with an eSIM; just turn on the phone and activate it.
  • If you ordered through Apple and picked the unlocked option: It came with no eSIM; add or transfer your own.
  • If you ordered through Verizon: it came with a physical SIM card; just turn on the phone and activate it.
I'm sure Apple will keep things the same, but we'll have to see if Verizon still ships with a physical SIM card or if they'll switch to eSIM as well.

Reactions: macbookguy

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure you will be able to transfer esim number during setup process if you have the other phone near you. Or you can select "Add eSim" from "Cellular" menu in settings. It will offer you chance to select other nearby current eSims attached to your account. It works for me.

Reactions: chabig

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Nano sim has been serving us well, leave the damn thing alone! I switch phones a lot to say the least and I don't want to be dealing with this BS every time. My last encounter with VZW for a friend who wanted an eSim was the most ridiculous and tedious process I've been through, maybe it's got better since but it would need to be light years better to even be good.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Doesn't it just copy over if you are setting up the new phone with the old phone nearby? I seem to remember doing this with my 13PM last year and everything just copied over seamlessly including the e-sim and all related settings.

Reactions: 3Rock and chabig

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006

• If you ordered through Apple and picked Verizon: It came with an eSIM; just turn on the phone and activate it.
  • If you ordered through Apple and picked the unlocked option: It came with no eSIM; add or transfer your own.
  • If you ordered through Verizon: it came with a physical SIM card; just turn on the phone and activate it.
I'm sure Apple will keep things the same, but we'll have to see if Verizon still ships with a physical SIM card or if they'll switch to eSIM as well.

The change this year is there is no physical SIM on any phone sold in the US. So Verizon will be eSIM.

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
Im on the ios16 beta, in settings>cellular if you click on add sim it gives you an option to transfer from nearby iphone

Reactions: MatthewStorm

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012

If you ordered a 13 Pro through Apple and picked unlocked, it came with esim and a physical sim card slot. It did not come with an actual sim card.

If you ordered a 13 through Verizon, it came with with - and uses - a physical sim

denisej

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Illinois
In theory it should be this easy: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210655

Recently I even moved my physical SIM on one phone to an eSIM on another (AT&T) literally just on the phone itself, no calls, no websites nothing. was SUPER easy
Did you move the physical sim from an IPhone to eSIM on an IPhone? I need to move from Android to IPhone and I'm wondering how easy that will be.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.