Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hello, a friend bought an iMac 5k 27, late 2014, (i7, 8gb, 512gb SSD). He's not really using it since the computer is located downstairs and would prefer a laptop. I have a rMBP late 2013 (maxed out model, dual gpu, 512gb ssd, 16gb ram). I use it from time to time but not that much. He suggested we switch computers.

It's seemed like a cool idea but I'm not totally convince. I'm here for a second opinion.

In my office I have 2x PC with i7 4790k, both 32gb RAM, one have a GTX680 the other a new GTX1080, the later, is hooked to a LG 4k monitor. The iMac would be in my case, a third 4790k. I would probably feel the need to upgrade the RAM.

I used to manage my pictures on the mac but have more storage on my PC, and since i use Lightroom, I was able to move my collection quickly.

I use the laptop sometime on the couch but I don't find it very confortable to use without a desk. I also wanted to use it while I commute but it's not confortable and too heavy for travelling everyday with it.

Facts:
- I also have an iPad and Galaxy Note4 (which I'm looking to replace).
- I had an iMac before, I liked it but I sold it before it was getting old (2008).
- I don't really need a laptop when I'm at home and watch multimedia on my phone/ipad/pc?
- I will have to replace the battery in a few years, while they are still supported by apple.

- I need a Mac to develop my softwares (hobby job).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nobody has replied to you because there is nothing we can say, you have laid out the pros and cons now just need to make a decision.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Nobody has replied to you because there is nothing we can say, you have laid out the pros and cons now just need to make a decision.

I understand, I was just curious and wanted to see if I could get another perspective. People are probably too busy bashing on the iPhone7,Samsung or the new Surface computer.

:)

thanks for replying on my lonely thread, have a good day

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
For what its worth its worth the swap just because its a better computer, that I think will hold its price better.

have a top day dude.

Reactions: 762999

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In my office I have 2x PC with i7 4790k, both 32gb RAM, one have a GTX680 the other a new GTX1080, the later, is hooked to a LG 4k monitor. The iMac would be in my case, a third 4790k. I would probably feel the need to upgrade the RAM.

I don't really need a laptop when I'm at home and watch multimedia on my phone/ipad/pc?

So to summarize, you already own two desktop computers and you state you don't need a laptop.

My question, if you don't need the laptop, do you naturally gravitate to any one machine now? That is do you use a specific computer most of the time?

How would the iMac change your usage patterns, would you use that more then the laptop, or the desktops?

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
So to summarize, you already own two desktop computers and you state you don't need a laptop.

My question, if you don't need the laptop, do you naturally gravitate to any one machine now? That is do you use a specific computer most of the time?

How would the iMac change your usage patterns, would you use that more then the laptop, or the desktops?

for web surfing, I normally use the mac because of the retina display. Win10 and 4k doesn't provide the same reading experience, not sure if it's technical or if I just prefer the default Mac font better. I invested in several mac softwares that aren't available on the PC.

PC 1 : music, gaming,movies, windows programming (I didn't do much in the last few years)
PC 2 : server with vm (personal lab)
Mac: surfing, photo editing, drawings, programming

I think you have a point, I think I would use the Mac for if it was an iMac. Sometime I switch back to my PC because of the real estate my 4k provides, I often use it without scaling. When I use the laptop, I find myself going back to display settings to max out the resolution and it`s often not enough.

With an iMac I would think I would use it for anything but gaming. Its getting clearer! :)

4ubrey

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I did this same trade off when the 5k Retina iMac launched. I bought a fully loaded (4.0ghz, 32gb, SSD, 4gb graphics) iMac and sold my MBP and my Thunderbolt display. While 85-90% of my time with the iMac has been great - problems get pretty complex when I need to work elsewhere.

I should mention I work from home FT, so most of my time is at my desk.

When I needed to go to visit family on the opposite coast, I was in a predicament. Buying a travel case for the iMac was not only expensive - if you read the experiences people had, it's kind of nerve racking (lots of broken iMacs). I decided against this and just bought a 13" rMBP and a dell 4k monitor and returned the laptop after my trip and gave the 4k to my wife to use with her old/slow 13" MBP. I felt awful about it this return shenanigans I did too, I just needed to complete these projects for clients that were depending on me and didn't see a really viable option. It wasn't a real long term solution either ($2100 laptop + $400 display + what I'd already dropped on the iMac).

I think the real question you need to think about is not if you enjoy working on the couch with your 15" machine - the question is - what are you going to do when you really need to use your tailored work machine somewhere other than your desk? For me, I did have a good run with this device but was disappointed yesterday when I saw no entirely-apple solution to wanting to have a MBP AND a 5k Display. I don't know if I want that LG display. I def don't want to drop another $5,000 on a new setup while trying to not get destroyed fiscally in reselling my current iMac.

Best of luck and just think about what you are going to do when you need to work mobile. It sucks to drag an iMac around.

Also should be noted it is incredibly hard to enjoy a non-5k-display after you've been on one for a while. :) First world problems though of course.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I did this same trade off when the 5k Retina iMac launched. I bought a fully loaded (4.0ghz, 32gb, SSD, 4gb graphics) iMac and sold my MBP and my Thunderbolt display. While 85-90% of my time with the iMac has been great - problems get pretty complex when I need to work elsewhere.

I should mention I work from home FT, so most of my time is at my desk.

When I needed to go to visit family on the opposite coast, I was in a predicament. Buying a travel case for the iMac was not only expensive - if you read the experiences people had, it's kind of nerve racking (lots of broken iMacs). I decided against this and just bought a 13" rMBP and a dell 4k monitor and returned the laptop after my trip and gave the 4k to my wife to use with her old/slow 13" MBP. I felt awful about it this return shenanigans I did too, I just needed to complete these projects for clients that were depending on me and didn't see a really viable option. It wasn't a real long term solution either ($2100 laptop + $400 display + what I'd already dropped on the iMac).

I think the real question you need to think about is not if you enjoy working on the couch with your 15" machine - the question is - what are you going to do when you really need to use your tailored work machine somewhere other than your desk? For me, I did have a good run with this device but was disappointed yesterday when I saw no entirely-apple solution to wanting to have a MBP AND a 5k Display. I don't know if I want that LG display. I def don't want to drop another $5,000 on a new setup while trying to not get destroyed fiscally in reselling my current iMac.

Best of luck and just think about what you are going to do when you need to work mobile. It sucks to drag an iMac around.

Also should be noted it is incredibly hard to enjoy a non-5k-display after you've been on one for a while. :) First world problems though of course.

yes, you also have a point. I work in IT during the day, and do programming and system administration stuff after that. I do from work remotely from time to time for my friend, so getting rid of the macbook would also implicate to get back a small windows laptop (I had two and sold them). Swapping for an iMac would mean: upgrading the ram and probably get a cheap win laptop. Which can be resolved by not swapping! :)

I also keep the rMBP and hook the 4k monitor on it. So I can work with extended resolution when I'm on the mac and flip the input when I want to use the pc.

Sounds like a viable solution also.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Depends on how much your traveling needs are.

At any point in time for the cost of a really high end laptop you can buy a desktop that is much faster and a laptop that is pretty nice also.

With cloud services being so useful much of the inconvenience of two machines is minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.