Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
This might be an exaggeration but lately I’m falling asleep and I do so by watching YouTube videos hence holding my iPhone very tightly. However I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands dripping wet and my iPhone covered in sweat, a lot. This of course isn’t the place to ask for medical advice so I won’t be asking that, but I want to know how sweat acts on iPhones, the area were sweat collects is back/camera and speaker/microphone area. It’s a lot of sweat, but when I wake up in the middle of the night I just put it aside without cleaning it and the next morning I see massive spots from dried sweat where my fingers were holding the iPhone..

Am I risking water damage?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Also I’d like to add that I woke up with wifi off (it’s never off normally) and of my whatsapp chats saying I have a missed call from 1969 ..

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Over time, the salts could start to leave permanent marks on the phone. And the salt could possibly impact the seals on the phone.
I’m not too concerned about the marks, neither the seals (although I am not sure how they could be weakened) , as much as I am worried about the moisture (when the sweat evaporate) going into speakers/microphone and camera module..

when I hold the iPhone it’s normally under the blankets, and the speaker hole/microphone are covered with my fingers, which in the middle of the night are wet due to sweat and that sweat apart from making the iPhone wet also evaporates and as I said, the speaker/microphone holes are covered (forcing the evaporation to go inside?)

btw I should have specified that this happens using an Apple silicone case so idk if that helps

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Speaker and microphone will probably be affected at some stage as they get clogged up.

Although it’s rather obvious that watching tv by itself can disturb your sleep, grabbing said tv in your hand in the form of an iPhone is equally questionable. Maybe you simply adjust to a healthier set of habits and enhance the potential lifetime of the device too.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Use a Loopy case when in bed. You don't have to hold the phone. The loop hangs on your middle finger. Case snaps on & off easily.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Wow this going to be an interesting thread. I can see where it might overtime mar the finish. I wipe off sweat from my home gym equipment and after a 60 min ride on the bike there's tons of streaks. The manufacturer recommends wiping the sweat. So same can potentially happen to a phone. But you might not even notice it by the time you upgrade.

Just curious, I also sometimes play YouTube videos when going to sleep (documentaries are kinda soothing lol), and no I'm not single lol. Anyway, why do you have to hold it? I just put my phone on the nightstand.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Speaker and microphone will probably be affected at some stage as they get clogged up.

Although it’s rather obvious that watching tv by itself can disturb your sleep, grabbing said tv in your hand in the form of an iPhone is equally questionable. Maybe you simply adjust to a healthier set of habits and enhance the potential lifetime of the device too.
I think I intended the question to be more moisture related and moisture entering the insides of the iPhone. Essentially having my finger resting on the microphone or speaker hole, and the finger sweating overnight, the sweat has to evaporate and the only way it can evaporate is in the space between the speaker/microphone grill ..hence is this something that would cause moisture to enter? Same goes for the camera module

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
missed call from year 1969? o_O
Strangely enough yes, no idea what happened here.
I woke up to a call from the night before, at a time I was definitely awake so I should have heard or noticed it at least ..but only this morning I saw the notification, a call from 1969.. here’s the screenshot

Attachments

• 24EBEA72-B940-4710-9D1B-682D58BBE9B3.jpeg
    24EBEA72-B940-4710-9D1B-682D58BBE9B3.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 136

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Wow this going to be an interesting thread. I can see where it might overtime mar the finish. I wipe off sweat from my home gym equipment and after a 60 min ride on the bike there's tons of streaks. The manufacturer recommends wiping the sweat. So same can potentially happen to a phone. But you might not even notice it by the time you upgrade.

Just curious, I also sometimes play YouTube videos when going to sleep (documentaries are kinda soothing lol), and no I'm not single lol. Anyway, why do you have to hold it? I just put my phone on the nightstand.
May I ask what nightstand do you use? I tend to fall asleep (or I struggle falling asleep) watching videos and I guess my grip stays strong enough while I’m asleep to cause my hands to sweat ..
rather than the finish I’m worried about the moisture damage though

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Had to google up the meaning of it, but my question is serious ahah
Get a iPad and lean it against a pillow, preferably your Mrs or Mr or if single get another pillow, lie on your side with 1 AirPod in your ear.
Your welcolme, thank me later lol.
The end.

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
May I ask what nightstand do you use? I tend to fall asleep (or I struggle falling asleep) watching videos and I guess my grip stays strong enough while I’m asleep to cause my hands to sweat ..
rather than the finish I’m worried about the moisture damage though
a regular night stand lol nothing fancy

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Strangely enough yes, no idea what happened here.
I woke up to a call from the night before, at a time I was definitely awake so I should have heard or noticed it at least ..but only this morning I saw the notification, a call from 1969.. here’s the screenshot

That is Marty McFly stuff, but note the call is shown as Today. Your phone has been back to 1969, it’s perfectly normal.

Reactions: ericwn

ubinko

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
This might be an exaggeration but lately I’m falling asleep and I do so by watching YouTube videos hence holding my iPhone very tightly. However I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands dripping wet and my iPhone covered in sweat, a lot. This of course isn’t the place to ask for medical advice so I won’t be asking that, but I want to know how sweat acts on iPhones, the area were sweat collects is back/camera and speaker/microphone area. It’s a lot of sweat, but when I wake up in the middle of the night I just put it aside without cleaning it and the next morning I see massive spots from dried sweat where my fingers were holding the iPhone..

Am I risking water damage?
Have you heard of Carpe Lotion? It's really good at helping with hand sweat. It's the only product that really made any difference for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.