Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe_V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Hoping for some advice here. I have been a mac user for 20+ years and regularly will update my computers with new MACs.
I have a power book that is serving me well since 2015. BUT! I have had to have the battery replaced 3 times.

First time it was under warrantee and then only a few months later it happened again. I took it into the store and I was blamed by a tech in the store for keeping my lap top plugged in too much and was pushed hard to buy new laptop. I called Apple and they agreed to replace the battery no charge. A year latter it happened again.

Questions:

1. Is a swollen battery truly a fire hazard? I have read the battery are designed to expand to avoid fire.
  2. Do people have this issue on all the new lap tops? I have not had this issue with my iPhone or iPad. I don't want to purchase a new laptop and repeat this insanity.
  3. Is there some solution to removing the battery and just using the laptop plugged in.
  4. Isn't there software in the computer that cycles the battery so it is not over charged? I was pretty annoyed that I was blamed sharply as if I was an idiot for keeping my laptop plugged in too much by someone in the store.
Thank you for your advice.

Joe

P.S. HEY TIM COOK! solve this battery problem for your loyal customers. Thank you!

Joe_V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
1. yup
2. not me personally
3. no
4. no, use your battery once a month
Thank you!. When you say use your battery once a month is that use it and drain it all the way down? Isn't there something in the computers software that can cycle the power to avoid this problem? I have heard yes and no.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Thank you!. When you say use your battery once a month is that use it and drain it all the way down? Isn't there something in the computers software that can cycle the power to avoid this problem? I have heard yes and no.
If possible, yes. The Mac doesn't drain the battery on its own, but enabling optimized charging will help https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211094

Reactions: Joe_V

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"First time it was under warrantee and then only a few months later it happened again. I took it into the store and I was blamed by a tech in the store for keeping my lap top plugged in too much and was pushed hard to buy new laptop. I called Apple and they agreed to replace the battery no charge. A year latter it happened again."

Well, there's your problem.
Are you STILL leaving it "plugged in almost all the time"?
Then... no wonder the battery keeps going bad on you.

YES, a swollen battery IS a fire hazard.
It can also EXPLODE on you.
Go to YouTube and watch some videos, you'll get the idea.

You've been advised on how to alleviate the problem in the future.
Whether you choose to do so or not... is up to you.

How I would advise you to care for the battery:
- Every 3rd day, take it "off the charger" and let the battery run down to about 45% or so. Then, plug it back in.
- EACH AND EVERY NIGHT, unplug the charger from the wall. Do this whether you power down the MacBook at night, or just "let it sleep".

Are taking these simple steps too much?

Reactions: jerryk

Joe_V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
OP wrote:
"First time it was under warrantee and then only a few months later it happened again. I took it into the store and I was blamed by a tech in the store for keeping my lap top plugged in too much and was pushed hard to buy new laptop. I called Apple and they agreed to replace the battery no charge. A year latter it happened again."

Well, there's your problem.
Are you STILL leaving it "plugged in almost all the time"?
Then... no wonder the battery keeps going bad on you.

YES, a swollen battery IS a fire hazard.
It can also EXPLODE on you.
Go to YouTube and watch some videos, you'll get the idea.

You've been advised on how to alleviate the problem in the future.
Whether you choose to do so or not... is up to you.

How I would advise you to care for the battery:
- Every 3rd day, take it "off the charger" and let the battery run down to about 45% or so. Then, plug it back in.
- EACH AND EVERY NIGHT, unplug the charger from the wall. Do this whether you power down the MacBook at night, or just "let it sleep".

Are taking these simple steps too much?
No I have not done that. This seems like a simple idea. I wish mac support would have suggested it to me. Thank you.

happysymptom

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
I have a Retina MacBook Pro (2014), and have had my battery replaced 3 times as well. And like you I left it plugged in almost always.
  1. Is a swollen battery truly a fire hazard? I have read the battery are designed to expand to avoid fire.
I would think so, yes.
  1. Do people have this issue on all the new lap tops? I have not had this issue with my iPhone or iPad. I don't want to purchase a new laptop and repeat this insanity.
On my third replacement, the Genius told me that newer Mac notebooks are smart enough to help prevent this by stopping charging (or something similar) when the battery is detected as full.
  1. Is there some solution to removing the battery and just using the laptop plugged in.
Nope - but I thought of that too!
  1. Isn't there software in the computer that cycles the battery so it is not over charged? I was pretty annoyed that I was blamed sharply as if I was an idiot for keeping my laptop plugged in too much by someone in the store.
Not idiotic at all IMO, and I do think that feature should have been there in the past - but it sounds like newer models are better about it.

What I do now is always leave the laptop screen open (when I'm working), plugged into my external monitor, and I remove the MagSafe charger as soon as it's got a green light. Rinse and repeat (I'm sure this is overkill but I'm done with this issue). I also never leave it plugged in overnight.

Last edited:

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I've got an early-2011 MBP 15" that has had its battery replaced twice. First was just over one year after purchase, had Apple replace it (got Amex to pay for that since in the time period of the credit card extended warranty). Got same warning you got from Genius guy, don't leave it plugged in all the time . . .

Well, that battery lasted for 6 more years and I did not take any special care about leaving it unplugged most of the time. It started to swell and then when it bulged enough it caused the trackpad to not work anymore. Got a replacement from macsales.com for about $100 and replaced it myself. Been good since then. I'm hoping the 14" MBP will debut this year so I can finally retire my trusty old MBP (alas, with dead GPU)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.