Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is quite the quagmire... Isn't using a 3rd party keyboard admitting that another company can do something better than apple?
It's called trying to appeal to as large a base as possible. Some people have never gotten an iPhone for something as simple as it not having the ability to have a feature like this. Gain a new customer with the iPhone and they tell someone else about their positive experience...

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
As an Android user, SwiftKey sucks. There are better, less source hogging options out there. Hopefully they also make the switch to iOS.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I'm probably going to buy a friend's 5s when he upgrades. Almost all my tech toys are Apple. I have an iPad Mini, a couple AppleTVs and a pair of Macs. Heck, I even have an Airport Extreme Base Station so my family's Macs can get Time Machine backups at my place

However I've been using Android phones since the G1. At first it was because I had little choice (I will not do business with AT&T) but as time went on there were iOS issues that kept me from switching. The keyboard was number one. Even before Swype type inputs I've found the stock Android keyboard to be vastly superior.

What app do I interact with more than the keyboard?

On top of that, for better or for worse, staying entirely inside Apple's ecosystem has a lot of advantages. (I'm also really excited about Coherence.)

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
This is pretty awesome. But does anyone know what their profit strategy is? If this is free, something's gotta give. Only temporarily free? Some sort of in-app purchase? Ads? Data mining? (My money is on that last one)

Apple says keyboard extensions are sandboxed and developers cannot access it unless you give them permission.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i like swiftkey itself but i have no use for suggestions or auto correct at all. by the time i check the suggestions, i am already done writing a whole sentence myself.

Doesn't seem to have my favorite feature from Google Keyboard: tap and hold any of the top row of letters for the number.

View attachment 492280

No more switching layouts to type numbers. After using it all other keyboards feel primitive.

didnt even know that was possible lol thanks

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is pretty awesome. But does anyone know what their profit strategy is? If this is free, something's gotta give. Only temporarily free? Some sort of in-app purchase? Ads? Data mining? (My money is on that last one)

The Verge says it'll cost £0.69.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Swiftkey learns how you talk via your FB and Google accounts, and so starts right off the bat with tons of personalized data.

But what if you don't use anyone if them ? Then there is nothing to learn, so why must I still use them to sign in ?

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
I am still a swipe-keyboard-virgin because I actually never typed on another phone than the iPhone. :O

So I will give it a go. Wanna see what all the cool kids talk about.
A little question mark about the free price tag as there was talk about key-press-mining capability on 3rd party keyboards. Whether this is true or not. And I don't like apps that wave with all the social media logins.
if that is necessary then I won't be able to use it even.

We will see in a few hours. Hope all the problems with extensions are fixed!

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy

Swiftkey Cloud.
They know what millions of users type on their devices.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Swiftkey Cloud.
They know what millions of users type on their devices.

I don't think you need SwiftKey Cloud for them to know what you are typing. In order to have full functionality after you install you have to give it permission to have full access to your device which includes network.

Cloud is just so it can be stored for syncing....and it's supposed to be encrypted.

If anything your normal typing is more in the clear than the backup to Cloud I would guess.

-Kevin

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy
I don't think you need SwiftKey Cloud for them to know what you are typing. In order to have full functionality after you install you have to give it permission to have full access to your device which includes network.

Cloud is just so it can be stored for syncing....and it's supposed to be encrypted.

If anything your normal typing is more in the clear than the backup to Cloud I would guess.

-Kevin

Why not to use iCloud or Dropbox to sync Swiftkey data?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Why not to use iCloud or Dropbox to sync Swiftkey data?

That would be great....if the developers coded for it. But I think the only sync functionality is with their own service.

Plus I think with the Cloud sign in it learns from other sources you have like FB and Gmail etc.

-Kevin

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida

Swiftkey, which has been around on Android for years, collects all kinds of data as you type. That is how they make money. They also have various themes for the keyboard which they charge for. I used to use it on my android devices till I saw all the permissions it was requiring to use. Full access to my emails, text messages, tweets etc.....No thank you.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Commercials like this are so frustrating. These companies a so focused on making a beautiful commercial that you learn NOTHING about the product.
If you just saw this commercial and never heard of swift key before,what did you learn in this ad? NOTHING!
Here's a great idea. Show us in the commercial how it works and the benefits of your product to make me want it.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
What a brilliant ad, I love stephen fry.

Well, sure, it was a great ad for Stephen Fry's voice. It told me very little about the actual app and showed about 1 second of use in the 1.5 minutes of time I spent watching it.

That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.