Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karacaoglanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Hi,

I've took a look of some iOS/SwiftUI programming courses on Udemy, but I could not found any updated course. Some courses have been updated with additional SwiftUI course contents but still they have lots of sections with old Swift programming details.

I want to learn iOS programming with SwiftUI, any course/platform recommendation that I can learn iOS programming in a up-to-date way would be great.

Best regards.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Paul Hudson, Hacking With Swift
He makes books, YouTube videos, has a learning app and writes on his website; All fantastic resources for learning. He has lessons for different levels of prior knowledge also does these streams of "programming this app in an hour" and such. He's generally the greatest Swift/SwiftUI learning resource ever I think

karacaoglanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Paul Hudson, Hacking With Swift
He makes books, YouTube videos, has a learning app and writes on his website; All fantastic resources for learning. He has lessons for different levels of prior knowledge also does these streams of "programming this app in an hour" and such. He's generally the greatest Swift/SwiftUI learning resource ever I think
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hi,

I've took a look of some iOS/SwiftUI programming courses on Udemy, but I could not found any updated course. Some courses have been updated with additional SwiftUI course contents but still they have lots of sections with old Swift programming details.

I want to learn iOS programming with SwiftUI, any course/platform recommendation that I can learn iOS programming in a up-to-date way would be great.

Best regards.
For what I heard a lot of/some things cannot be done in SwiftUI yet. Apple's own course is still using UIKit.

tara7046

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
The name of the 2 books of Ray Wenderlich are Swift apprentice and iOS apprentice. One should study which book of Ray Wenderlich if he/she wants to study iOS programming from very start till the end? What is the difference in the books of Swift apprentice and iOS apprentice?

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
The Swift Apprentice book teaches the Swift programming language but not does teach iOS app development. The iOS Apprentice (the title has been changed to UIKit Apprentice) book teaches app development with the UIKit framework.

If you want to study iOS programming and can afford to buy only one of the books, buy the iOS (UIKit) Apprentice book, as that book is the one that teaches iOS programming. The Swift Apprentice book will help if you have never programmed before, but it won't teach you anything about making iOS apps.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

MitSwifty

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2022
Another good source is Sean Allen courses. He has a youtube channel as well, where he released sample videos from some of his courses. I have bought one of his course & I was pretty happy with it, clear and concise.

tara7046

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
I think one should study latest edition of swift instead of old edition. One should study through which reference book or resource for up-to-date knowledge of swift?

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
A few years ago, all apps used UIKit then Apple introduced SwiftUI, and a different way of doing things. Many of the older books and courses still rely on UIKit which seems to be outdated and on its way to depreciation. Even the Udemy courses, taught UIKit then when they update it, they simple add another 10 minute lesson at the end of the old material. Indeed, there are many new features and methods for release of Swift. Paul Hudson seems to update his stuff, although he too sells old material with UIKit. there are a number of YouTube channels - including Hackingwithswift (PH again), CodeWithChris, Sean Allen, Swiftful Thinking, IOS Academy, and Stewart Lynch, etc. There is also a full on Stanford Swift class, but really tedious and only if you essentially already know Swift.

pardel

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2023
London, UK
Daniel Steinberg has also published some good books on SwiftUI, Async & Functional Programming.
Another avenue for learning is going to events - lists are maintained in various places such as https://cocoaconferences.com/
Lots of events also have scheduled workshops - eg. Pragma Conference in Oct 2023 has 2 workshops from Paul Hudson (on SwiftData) and Daniel Steinberg (on Swift Macros).
Workshops are also organised independent of events - eg. there are 3 Swift workshops scheduled in Nov 2023 in London: Data flow in SwiftUI, Introduction to Async/Await and Pioneering Swift Macros.
Hope this helps...

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
A few years ago, all apps used UIKit then Apple introduced SwiftUI, and a different way of doing things. Many of the older books and courses still rely on UIKit which seems to be outdated and on its way to depreciation. Even the Udemy courses, taught UIKit then when they update it, they simple add another 10 minute lesson at the end of the old material. Indeed, there are many new features and methods for release of Swift. Paul Hudson seems to update his stuff, although he too sells old material with UIKit. there are a number of YouTube channels - including Hackingwithswift (PH again), CodeWithChris, Sean Allen, Swiftful Thinking, IOS Academy, and Stewart Lynch, etc. There is also a full on Stanford Swift class, but really tedious and only if you essentially already know Swift.

UIKit is not going to be deprecated any time soon. SwiftUI is still in its infancy and many developers are frustrated with some edge cases it cannot handle. Understanding UIKit is vital for the foreseeable future.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Unfortunately, Swift and Xcode are updated faster than Udemy updates their courses. Otherwise, they're a decent resource so long as you organization is paying.
Don’t forget Udemy have frequent sales. My employer now provides me with the full thing (including courses on guitar and knitting), but I have in the past bought decent enough individual courses on things like cloud and Java very cheaply.

Reactions: ArrayDecay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.