Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Is there any reason why android devices don’t have swipe to go back from the left hand side of the screen? It’s a natural motion and I have googled this but haven’t been able to confirm if it’s because of patents. I’m assuming it is otherwise Android would adopt it surely?

OnePlus features are pretty cool in that you just swipe up on any side to go back, my favourite out of all the android implementations.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Some apps do support swipe from the left to go back, tapatalk for example.

I think the reason it isn't a wide spread feature as it is on IOS is that some apps have a drawer built in that is activated with a swipe in from the left. EBay is one of those apps off the top of my head.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah, it might interfere with the slide out menu from the left.

All of Google's gestures can be in one place, a singular pill shaped gesture at the bottom:

Up goes home - no explanation needed.

Left goes back, right goes to previous app - the gesture-right currently for the previous app works wonderfully. Gesturing left for back should be just as smooth and seamless.

Up + hold brings you to the full app switcher window with your quick launch icons in the dock, like what it looks like now.

And finally, the pill is still an actual button that you can hold to activate Assistant. Or just get rid of it all together since Pixels have squeeze for Assistant.

That's it. Make it true full screen without any navigation bar, and you're set.

(I still don't know how Google missed the mark on gestures so badly.)

Reactions: Fernandez21

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Samsung phones can have edge swipes using the One Hand Operation app, part of the Good Lock 2 app. You can set each side to have 3 action - sideways, diagonally up and sideways, diagonally down and sideways. It's pretty good, but not quite as smooth as iOS back swipe, and as it's in the Galaxy app store, only Samsungs can have it.

I have back from both sides, and multi tasking with a diagonal up swipe. I haven't found a good use for the other gestures.

Reactions: mib1800

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Is there any reason why android devices don’t have swipe to go back from the left hand side of the screen? It’s a natural motion and I have googled this but haven’t been able to confirm if it’s because of patents. I’m assuming it is otherwise Android would adopt it surely?

OnePlus features are pretty cool in that you just swipe up on any side to go back, my favourite out of all the android implementations.
Only a natural motion if you like the option :)

Personally I am not a great fan of all these swipe gestures and multi trackpad ones too IMO there are almost too many now :D:rolleyes:

When Pie is available on Samsung S9/Note 9 I hope they have the option to switch them off

My wife already looks like she is conducting a symphony LOL

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, it might interfere with the slide out menu from the left.

All of Google's gestures can be in one place, a singular pill shaped gesture at the bottom:

Up goes home - no explanation needed.

Left goes back, right goes to previous app - the gesture-right currently for the previous app works wonderfully. Gesturing left for back should be just as smooth and seamless.

Up + hold brings you to the full app switcher window with your quick launch icons in the dock, like what it looks like now.

And finally, the pill is still an actual button that you can hold to activate Assistant. Or just get rid of it all together since Pixels have squeeze for Assistant.

That's it. Make it true full screen without any navigation bar, and you're set.

(I still don't know how Google missed the mark on gestures so badly.)

Yup. You can add double tap the pill to go into multi screen mode and swipe down for something like reach ability or to bring down the notification bar.

HaliZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015

Try this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fb.fluid

Reactions: mi7chy

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Because Android already have a back button, at least before Google decided they'd rather copy Apple's swiping gestures instead of maintaining consistency of their own UI.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Personally I find swipe to go back far worse than a dedicated software Back key.

One of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of iOS is the lack of a Back button and software Home key, like Microsoft Windows Phone and Android phones have.

The swipe up to home sucks to. Far easier and faster just to tap the middle home soft key like on my Pixel 3, than having to swipe up to get Home .

And iOS will sometimes but very inconsistently have a menu Back button key somewhere in the App, but when it is there it might be up in the top corners, making it more difficult to use .
[doublepost=1543173402][/doublepost]
Yup. You can add double tap the pill to go into multi screen mode and swipe down for something like reach ability or to bring down the notification bar.

Are you talking Android or iPhone that can do the above ? Double tapping the pill bar to bring down the notification bar sounds great. Can I set that on my Pixel 3 XL ? Or are yyou talking iPhone XS Max stuff?

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Personally I find swipe to go back far worse than a dedicated software Back key.

One of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of iOS is the lack of a Back button and software Home key, like Microsoft Windows Phone and Android phones have.

The swipe up to home sucks to. Far easier and faster just to tap the middle home soft key like on my Pixel 3, than having to swipe up to get Home .

And iOS will sometimes but very inconsistently have a menu Back button key somewhere in the App, but when it is there it might be up in the top corners, making it more difficult to use .
[doublepost=1543173402][/doublepost]

Are you talking Android or iPhone that can do the above ? Double tapping the pill bar to bring down the notification bar sounds great. Can I set that on my Pixel 3 XL ? Or are yyou talking iPhone XS Max stuff?

This is actually with an app called gesture control that I use on my Note 9, I love it as it mimics the iPhone navigation bar (so all apps go full screen) while also allowing you to customize the gestures. I basically have it set up like how epicrayban described.

Doesn’t work properly with the pixel though, or at least it didn’t when I set it up a month ago, hopefully it’s been updated.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
This is actually with an app called gesture control that I use on my Note 9, I love it as it mimics the iPhone navigation bar (so all apps go full screen) while also allowing you to customize the gestures. I basically have it set up like how epicrayban described.

Doesn’t work properly with the pixel though, or at least it didn’t when I set it up a month ago, hopefully it’s been updated.

Intriguing. What's the name of that app ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.