Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I'm considering making the switch back to iOS. I've been using the Pixel 7 pro for almost a year and the Galaxy tab S8 for a year and a half. I'm currently trying to sell my Tab S8 so I can afford the monthly payment of the iPhone. I can get a refurbished iPhone 13 Pro Max from Verizon, or wait for the 15 Pro Max and trade in my Pixel 7 pro. I'm mainly looking for a phone that will last 3-5 years and I don't see any android phone lasting that long apart from getting the S Ultra line. I'm just not a fan of the curved edges on the pro and ultra android phones.

My last iphone was 2 years ago when I had the 12 pro and I gave it a shot but I grew bored with it. Samsung started improving their phones with the S21 line as well as Google starting to improve as well. My problem is I can't seem to stick with a single android phone for very long. I am growing weary of constantly switching between Samsung and Google and never being satisfied with either one because of the inconsistent experience.

I am currently weighing my options as to how to switch. I can sell my Tab S8 and keep my Pixel and switch back and forth between the 13 Pro Max and it. Then eventually sell the Pixel. Or I can sell the Pixel now and keep my tablet and then still get the 13 Pro Max. Or I sell my tablet and then wait until the 15 Pro Max comes out and I trade my Pixel for that.

I think keeping both phones would stress me out. I'd like to keep the tablet but I'm not set on it either. I do enjoy watching content on it but at the same time, I have realized that I spend far too much time on it and not enough time with my family.

What will I be missing if I decide to get the 13 Pro Max instead of the 15 Pro Max?

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I think with ~30 days until a new phone release it would be worth waiting to see what comes out. Then you can do your research and make the most educated decision on what will fit your needs.

If you want a phone to last 3-5 years IMO it is good practice to get the newest phone that you can afford.

Reactions: juice3250

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I think with ~30 days until a new phone release it would be worth waiting to see what comes out. Then you can do your research and make the most educated decision on what will fit your needs.

If you want a phone to last 3-5 years IMO it is good practice to get the newest phone that you can afford.
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I know the trade in deals will probably be good on the new phones.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Do you think there's a possibility of the iPhone 15 plus having 120hz pro motion display?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
What will I be missing if I decide to get the 13 Pro Max instead of the 15 Pro Max?
Most iPhones - especially the Pro versions are over powered. In real world usage you would not notice the difference between a new or 2 year old pro. You would also save 50% in expense.

Even a 3 year old iphone is still very fast. This is why they have high resale value compared with android phones.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Most iPhones - especially the Pro versions are over powered. In real world usage you would not notice the difference between a new or 2 year old pro. You would also save 50% in expense.

Even a 3 year old iphone is still very fast. This is why they have high resale value compared with android phones.
Thank you. I don't mind getting an iPhone that's 2 years old as the differences are minor. Most people keep their iPhones for longer than Android users. Maybe that's just my perception though. I will try to get the newest phone I can this year but I'm certainly fine getting the 13 Pro Max if it'll save me some money and hold its value. That's something I appreciate about iPhones. They don't lose very much value if and when you want to sell them.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Thank you. I don't mind getting an iPhone that's 2 years old as the differences are minor. Most people keep their iPhones for longer than Android users. Maybe that's just my perception though. I will try to get the newest phone I can this year but I'm certainly fine getting the 13 Pro Max if it'll save me some money and hold its value. That's something I appreciate about iPhones. They don't lose very much value if and when you want to sell them.
If you can afford it, the 15 will be worth it for usb c. My macbook and ipad are usb type c but phone is lightening which is super annoying.

Iphone shoot video exceptionally well. Get 256gb if you record alot.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
If you can afford it, the 15 will be worth it for usb c. My macbook and ipad are usb type c but phone is lightening which is super annoying.

Iphone shoot video exceptionally well. Get 256gb if you record alot.
Also sounds like 256gb will be the base storage size. I really hope that the price doesn't increase a lot. Or at least the trade in deals are good enough. I don't mind financing it through Verizon for 3 years. The only thing that sucks right now with Verizon is almost all new phones require me to upgrade my data plan. So that's an extra $10/month. I just went through the steps to trade in my Pixel 7 pro for a Galaxy phone, and it said I'm required to upgrade the plan. It's pretty stupid of Verizon. It's one of the reasons I have bought unlocked Android phones for the past few years. So unless I'm able to buy the iPhone unlocked for the same price, I don't know that I will be able to finance it through Verizon. I'm also going to try and sell my Pixel instead of trading it in if I have to finance it through Apple.

The whole Verizon thing pisses me off though. I don't need the unlimited plus data plan. I have been fine on the unlimited start plan as I don't use a hotspot. Plus an apple watch requires me to add an additional line of service. Which I don't like.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Also sounds like 256gb will be the base storage size. I really hope that the price doesn't increase a lot. Or at least the trade in deals are good enough. I don't mind financing it through Verizon for 3 years. The only thing that sucks right now with Verizon is almost all new phones require me to upgrade my data plan. So that's an extra $10/month. I just went through the steps to trade in my Pixel 7 pro for a Galaxy phone, and it said I'm required to upgrade the plan. It's pretty stupid of Verizon. It's one of the reasons I have bought unlocked Android phones for the past few years. So unless I'm able to buy the iPhone unlocked for the same price, I don't know that I will be able to finance it through Verizon. I'm also going to try and sell my Pixel instead of trading it in if I have to finance it through Apple.

The whole Verizon thing pisses me off though. I don't need the unlimited plus data plan. I have been fine on the unlimited start plan as I don't use a hotspot. Plus an apple watch requires me to add an additional line of service. Which I don't like.
iPhone plans are not cheap and are becoming more expensive every year. Hence why it's become popular to keep your phone for longer or sign a contract for 1-2 year older model to save $10-20/month.

However, if you buy a Pro, it should serve you well for several years - especially as recent iPhones are over-powered for the average users and have dedicated AI chips that are ahead of their time and will be useful for on-device processing going forward :)

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area

Might be worth looking at Tmobile. I think they have an eSim trial so you can test it out with your current device.
Personally I have the same or better coverage than my friends with ATT or Verizon, and Tmobile has great family plan deals. I've never changed my plan since my iPhone 7 when I was with Sprint and even if I changed plans now, there's no feature or price difference.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Might be worth looking at Tmobile. I think they have an eSim trial so you can test it out with your current device.
Personally I have the same or better coverage than my friends with ATT or Verizon, and Tmobile has great family plan deals. I've never changed my plan since my iPhone 7 when I was with Sprint and even if I changed plans now, there's no feature or price difference.
I may look into T-Mobile. However we have 5g Internet through Verizon as well as 3 lines of service. We are currently paying about $200 for all 4 lines. 3 phones and 1 for the 5g Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.