Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I see apple in their wisdom to make the 6s better have now plagued us with movie clips that are twice the size of the photo.

No doubt the typical iPhone user will love this "feature", so how do the rest of us switch off the movie clips, and how do we delete the clips from the iPhone as there seems to be nothing obvious in the setting for it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
In the Camera app, click the livephoto icon (the concentric circles at the top center of the screen) to turn the live function off. If the icon is yellow, the livephoto function is ON.

You can turn OFF viewing the video portion, but you can't remove it from the file while on your phone. You can edit to remove the .mov part on an OS X system.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In the Camera app, click the livephoto icon (the concentric circles at the top center of the screen) to turn the live function off. If the icon is yellow, the livephoto function is ON.

You can turn OFF viewing the video portion, but you can't remove it from the file while on your phone. You can edit to remove the .mov part on an OS X system.
That's pretty much all what I want to say. :p

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Thanks, would have been nice to know it clogging up the memory with all those mini movies.

I'd probably keep the movie part 1 in a 100 times, if that. Would have preferred to delete the movie file from the phone rather than turn the live photo thing off and on.

I could have lived with switching between photo and video, the video frame rate and quality is very poor for the size of file.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
could have lived with switching between photo and video, the video frame rate and quality is very poor for the size of file
Yeah. 720P quality comparing to picture resolution is poultry. I hate such design. And every time I activate live photo, the transition between high quality photos to poor quality short video is "ugh".

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
And every time I activate live photo, the transition between high quality photos to poor quality short video is "ugh".

It's not true 720p, unless you watch very jerky blurred movies from torrent that claim to be "720p"

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No, it's a cool feature you can use or not. People complain it's taking space and you want the clips 4K. Apple can't win.

I have a few memorable Live Photos from family events; I like that feature.
But given the outcome is just so bad, I hope they can boost the resolution of that video clip to actually improve the overall quality of life photos. 3x of single photo size is also ok.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I have a few memorable Live Photos from family events; I like that feature.

I agree it could be cool, but also agree the implementation is poor. Firstly, the size will be an issue for some. If you are not computer literate then deleting the mov files could be a problem (I know a few that would struggle). Given how little memory is left out of a 16Gb phone (12.5 if you believe the phone and 10.5 if you believe itunes), it will be used in no time. I know people that have filled their 4s and 5s 16Gb phones due to apps and mainly photos..

Next it should be off by default for the above reason, and when first using the camera (or whenever it came out as a feature) it should have a message asking if you want it and warning that it will take up 3 times the memory of a normal photo.

The quality and frame rate is crap for the file size used.

And the phone should have the option of delete the mov files if not wanted. Chances are I'll never remember to turn it back on. If I could leave it on and then delete the unwanted mov files than that would work well. As said, 99% of the time only want static image as I use it as a work phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree it could be cool, but also agree the implementation is poor. Firstly, the size will be an issue for some. If you are not computer literate then deleting the mov files could be a problem (I know a few that would struggle). Given how little memory is left out of a 16Gb phone (12.5 if you believe the phone and 10.5 if you believe itunes), it will be used in no time. I know people that have filled their 4s and 5s 16Gb phones due to apps and mainly photos..

Next it should be off by default for the above reason, and when first using the camera (or whenever it came out as a feature) it should have a message asking if you want it and warning that it will take up 3 times the memory of a normal photo.

The quality and frame rate is crap for the file size used.

And the phone should have the option of delete the mov files if not wanted. Chances are I'll never remember to turn it back on. If I could leave it on and then delete the unwanted mov files than that would work well. As said, 99% of the time only want static image as I use it as a work phone.
I had thought there was a way to delete the movie files or maybe Apple said a way was coming. I don't agree it's "crap" (for the file sizes involved), it does exactly what it should.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
It IS off by default. And it stays OFF unless you left it ON the last time you used it.
There IS a way to remove the Live portion without needing OS X or being a computer expert.. While viewing the photo, select the share button (upwards arrow in bottom left corner). Select "duplicate". It will ask you if you want to duplicate the Live photo, or just the still. Select Duplicate as Still Photo, and then delete the original.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I really like this feature, and family members I send photos to enjoy it as well. They are jealous and ask me why their phones can't do that! However, I do understand the unfavorable downside of significantly increasing the size of the file. Another reason Apple needs to increase the minimum size from 16 to at least 32 GB!

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
It IS off by default. And it stays OFF unless you left it ON the last time you used it.

Nope, never turned mine on, and my daughter's phone was the same. Only found out by surprise when we noticed the photos "moved"

There IS a way to remove the Live portion without needing OS X or being a computer expert.. While viewing the photo, select the share button (upwards arrow in bottom left corner). Select "duplicate". It will ask you if you want to duplicate the Live photo, or just the still. Select Duplicate as Still Photo, and then delete the original.

Sounds like a bodge, copy and then delete just to delete a mov file in the first place.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope, never turned mine on, and my daughter's phone was the same. Only found out by surprise when we noticed the photos "moved"

Sounds like a bodge, copy and then delete just to delete a mov file in the first place.
Sounds like a solution for someone that might want/need to do that for already existing live photos--someone who didn't turn off that option to begin with to avoid live photos completely and ended up having some and now doesn't want them.

Reactions: Mascots

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Doesn't make it any less of a bodge fix because apple forgot that some might not want it. A sign of the ever lazy programming in the world where the fix is more memory, more storage, faster processors....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't make it any less of a bodge fix because apple forgot that some might not want it. A sign of the ever lazy programming in the world where the fix is more memory, more storage, faster processors....
They didn't forget it would seem as they clearly put in an option that the end user can use to enable or disable it.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009

That doesn't make sense.
But I'll take the bait - how does the inclusion of a feature with a toggle placed directly in the options bar that's always available in the app that you use take the picture considered lazy programming in anyway?

Maybe a marketing push to get people to start using it, but I guarantee this has little to do with development and you should be thanking those lazy developers for foreseeing issues that people may have by ensuring Live Photos movement takes up around 50% of the image's size.

Reactions: Simplicated

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I'm sure the profit will increase as most will need a bigger phone memory now.

Why doesn't it make sense. I've got about 50 of these dumb movies that I now need to go delete manually by connecting to a PC. That bodge was the copy to delete. I'd like to keep it on but don't want to fill my phone with Gb of crap I'll not need for the sake of a few maybe interesting shots. Lazy programming is thinking we have Gb to waste (more so than "other")

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm sure the profit will increase as most will need a bigger phone memory now.

Why doesn't it make sense. I've got about 50 of these dumb movies that I now need to go delete manually by connecting to a PC. That bodge was the copy to delete. I'd like to keep it on but don't want to fill my phone with Gb of crap I'll not need for the sake of a few maybe interesting shots. Lazy programming is thinking we have Gb to waste (more so than "other")
You want to keep it on, but not have it do what it's designed to do? So is that like you want to use the video recording function but not have it record videos and take up space? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.