Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
I have a Pro Controller that won't connect to my M1 Mac after restart. Initially the controller pairs and works flawlessly, all functions including vibration and gyro work flawlessly, I am able to turn the controller on and off and it will reconnect successfully but once I restart my mac, it will no longer connect. I then have to "Forget / Unpair" the device and repair it again. At this point is connected successfully again.

I am looking for either 2 solutions 1) to fix the issue with the controller being unable to connect after restart, or 2) create a script that will unpair the Pro Controller at shut down, so that I only have to pair it again when rebooted. If anyone has any information on how best to go about either option, please do not hesitate to chime in.

This is a new Mac with little to no third party software installed, It came with Ventura and was updated to Sonoma.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You could try blueutil to unpair/pair the controller.
https://github.com/toy/blueutil
"blueutil
--pair ID [PIN] pair with device, optional PIN of up to 16 characters will be used instead of interactive input if requested in specific pair mode
--unpair ID EXPERIMENTAL unpair the device
ID can be either address in form xxxxxxxxxxxx, xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx or xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, or name of device to search in used devices"

I would install it From source and integrate it into an AppleScript saved as an app.

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
Thank you for that information and explanation. I have noticed an issue during the pairing process and wonder if it could be a bug. When pairing the device, a random pairing code comes up on the screen, but only for a split second and disappears before I can enter it. I do know that when pairing with my keyboard I am required to enter a pin code and have no issues in doing so, however when pairing the Gamepad this code pops up for a split second and then disappears. From my experience, if the code was not entered successfully the gamepad would not pair and work successfully. This is a real head-scratcher for me. Why does the Pro Controller pair and work successfully (even with simultaneous disconnects and reconnects being a non-issue) until I restart my Mac. It is as if upon restart, macOS Sonoma forgets the device exists even though it is still in the bluetooth list.

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
Thanks again for your help bogdanw I already did all the above already. I took your advice and have installed "blueutil" and have created a shell script to unpair the device at startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.