Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sta1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
Greetings... I preordered two iphone12s for our family thought T-mobile and would the intention to switch from ATT to Tmobile. Does anyone have experience moving your number from another carrier to Tmobile with the new iPhone12? Any suggestions on how to get started with the switch? I received a message that my phones had shipped (with a preassigned mobile number as well). I just wished this to work as smoothly as possible...

Thank you for any advice on how best to make the update to the iPhone12 as well as the switch...

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
When you get your phones, you can call T mobile for a new line(s) activation and phone registration.

Remember to tell them you want to port your old ATT number to TMO.

They will activate on your phone's IMEI # for each phone.

sta1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
Thanks! That's good to know. I am expecting the phones tomorrow from tracking info... I suppose that I shall simple call T-mobile and then go through the setup process with them to port my numbers from ATT... Any other tips I should consider? Thanks!

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Make sure your ATT account is up to date, all EIP contracts paid for in full, and that you have account access as TMO will need access in order to port the phone number from ATT to TMO.

Do some research on line plans - there are many discounted pricing for veteran/military/first responders as well as educators and government employee.

You will love TMO - I have been with them for over 6 years and they have the best 5G (sub 6 in my area) and most important to me: international text & data service without a surcharge.

sta1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
I appreciate the advice, I am hopeful that we will like Tmobile as our recent ATT experience has been challenging, poor reception nearly everywhere we venture in our neighborhood.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Hopefully you live in a Sub 6 area like I am = consistent over 80mbps service.

I am hoping TMO will build more mm Wave towers so that I can get some really screaming service.

BTW: turn on WiFi Calling feature on the phone to take advantage of making cell calls even inside shielded rooms...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
5G will drain the iPhone battery pretty quickly. Even if you only use LTE, the QualComm modem in the iPhone 12, the LTE speed is twice as fast as the iPhone 11 on LTE.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
5G will drain the iPhone battery pretty quickly. Even if you only use LTE, the QualComm modem in the iPhone 12, the LTE speed is twice as fast as the iPhone 11 on LTE.
yes very well aware.

I'd only use 5G mmWave only for serious downloads or streaming and if I am outside next to that short range tower....

Otherwise, the 4G LTE and 5G Sub 6 are more than fine and does not drain my battery.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I’m going to switch my wife and I to T-Mobile after 11 years with AT&T on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. The Magenta Plus 55 plan is half what we’re paying AT&T. I had been reluctant to switch to T-Mobile because everyone that I knew on TMobile in DFW hated the service (poor reception and data speed). From what I understand, they’ve improved considerably.

Is there a “right” time to make the switch, like shortly before or after I get my next bill from AT&T? I’m thinking that it’d be best to avoid trying to figure out AT&T’s prorated charges.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I'd change on the near the end of your ATT billing cycle.
That way you don't pay for another month.

I love TMO - it's been the best since I switched from VZW which was double.

TMO is great if you travel internationally - free data & messaging around the globe except for certain communist countries...

Reactions: Pipper99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.