Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello all!

I want to introduce my app SwitchBuddy - companion app for basically anyone with Nintendo Switch console. It helps you with transferring screenshots, allows for easy discovery of new games, eShop deals, Nintendo-related news and much more.

SwitchBuddy-generic-banner.jpeg

The main features are:

Transfer

Start the transfer on Switch, scan the first QR code with SwitchBuddy, and you can easily export selected screenshots or videos. You can save these either into Photos or iCloud Drive. Here is step-by-step guide.

Games database​

Complete list of Nintendo Switch games (excluding shovelware) with rich details like trailers, screenshots, price, price history and more. Upcoming / New releases / New reveals lists and much more.

News

Stay up-to-date on recent articles, reviews, videos, and more from websites focused on Nintendo stuff. I am regularly expanding the sources.

Deals​

Follow sales on the Nintendo eShop and get notifications when wishlisted games get discounted.

Widgets​

Countdown widget, Up Next, Calendar and more for your Home Screen and Lock Screen.

SwitchBuddy_image_Widget_Widgets_129_9764.png

Why SwitchBuddy app?​

Sending screenshots with SwitchBuddy is faster (don't need to scan the second QR code) and you can save all the screenshots with a single tap. In the browser, you need to tap & hold on each image and save it.

switchbuddy-app-vs-browser.png

Follow updates on new blog - https://switchbuddy.app/blog/ and short from on Mastodon - https://indieapps.space/@switchbuddy

Available on the App Store

https://apps.apple.com/app/switchbuddy/id1563251210

Pricing
Most of the app is free (for example the entire Transfer, Gallery and News sections). Plus subscription unlocks more widget types, unlimited number of favorites, unlimited eShop deals list and similar. I am trying to make it fair by charging for features that mostly involve ongoing costs or paid data sources like OpenCritic game ratings which I am using.

Plus subscription costs around 2$/month or 17$/year or 32$ once.

Press Kit: https://impresskit.net/switchbuddy

Attachments

• SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_Banner_100_4ad1_standard.png
    SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_Banner_100_4ad1_standard.png
    941.1 KB · Views: 938
  • SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_108_6c76.png
    SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_108_6c76.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 103
  • SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_107_fae3.png
    SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_107_fae3.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 90
  • SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_106_4860.png
    SwitchBuddy_image_iPhone_106_4860.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello,

I am currently working on the biggest update yet. It will add new "Games" tab to track upcoming Nintendo Switch game releases.

Initial Test Flight is available, let me know if you'd wanna check this out!

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
switchbuddy-nintendo-companion-game-releases.png

Version 3 of my Nintendo Switch companion is getting ready for App Store. In the meantime, feel free to check it out via TestFlight (all features unlocked) - https://testflight.apple.com/join/nUoEFKJN

This release will add:
  • Upcoming game releases (showing all the known Switch releases from the IGDB database)
  • Game details with screenshots, videos, indexed news and more
  • Countdown widgets
  • Landscape gallery + option to select different sizes for the transferred screenshots
  • Better layout of the themes screen
  • Improvements to scanning QR codes

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Version 3 is finally live 🎉

After months of work and some last-minute "fight" with App Review, newest update for my Nintendo Switch companion is on the App Store.

Here are the release notes:

The most significant update yet. The main new feature is the ability to track new game releases via the brand-new Games tab. Don't miss any important games!

You can view screenshots and videos and add the release date to the calendar or favorite games to make them available for countdown widgets!

I have also improved the Gallery section - it supports landscape, and you can select the thumbnail size.

Also launching SwitchBuddy+: 100% optional subscription that unlocks extra goodies and removes the limit on the number of favorite games.

Get it here: App Store

Press Release
switchbuddy-version3-banner.png

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, released two updates in the past days:

- Added ability to share individual game screenshots
- Improved adding to calendar: You can now edit existing events instead of creating new ones when tapping the button again
- You can now favorite/unfavorite games from the list (with long press)
- Screenshots and videos are now exported with the original date they were first captured (this changes the "created" date, "modified" will be date of export)

- Improved game detail - share button is easy to find, add to calendar is closer to release date
- Added ability to share games from the list (long press)
- Added one-time unlock for SwitchBuddy+ by popular demand. If you don't like subscriptions, this is for you.
- Fixed contrast issues on game detail with certain themes
- Fixed incorrectly grouped released games in Favorites
- (Hopefully) fixed issue where games list isn't probably refreshed
And already preparing the next big-ish update :)

With the Games update it seems the app is more popular than ever. And apparently countdown widgets are still a huge thing :D

• Love
Reactions: George Dawes

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, another minor updates landed in the past week or so.

- You can now search the list of games
- Better game detail: Added artworks and game modes (if available)
- Calendar events now have "From SwitchBuddy" note allowing you to search for them in Calendar app
- Better shared game website (you can freely share games with friends who don't yet have SwitchBuddy installed :))
- New: Double tap tab bar items to quickly scroll to the top (works for Gallery, Games and News)
Fixes:
- Fixed countdowns on shared game detail image (tap on the cartridge on detail page)
- Fixed opening game detail from widget/URL not working if another game is opened already

- 🇯🇵 Japanese localization
- Added Widget guide (in More)
- You can now more easily copy link to games (without opening the share sheet) long press on the game in list or on the share button in game detail to reveal "Copy link" action
- Re-ordered videos in game detail to show the most recent first
- Other smaller improvements

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, I am back with another big update! I have redesigned the Games tab to better showcase the games, let you quickly access favorites and also see new releases. You can find the complete release notes below.

I have also implemented the Shared with You feature which Apple added with iOS 16. When someone shares a game with you via SwitchBuddy, you will have access to these links inside the app.

switchbuddy-games-redesign-shared-with-you-banner.png

Release notes

## Better Games section!
- You can now access Favorite games faster.
- Featured section to not miss big games
- "New Releases" section listing recently released games
- Quick access to Widget guide and Games FAQ

## Shared with You (iOS 16)
Added support for Shared with You. When friends send you link via Messages, these links will be available in the app. Look for "Shared with You" card in the Games section.
You may need to enabled this feature in Settings -> Messages -> Shared with You -> toggle SwitchBuddy

## Up Next widget for SwitchBuddy+
New widget type that shows up to 4 of your upcoming favorite games. Available for SwitchBuddy+ supporters.

### Fixes:
- Contrast fixes for some themes
- Other smaller fixes here and there
And I have started maintaining full changelog online.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, back again with another update, this is one of the smaller ones.

# 3.1.3
Added free trial for SwitchBuddy+: Great to try all the themes and widgets

### Games
- Option to select default calendar for games: Long press on the calendar icon to select calendar to use for future events
- Spotlight integration: You can search your device to find favorited games and quickly open them

### Game detail
- Twitch links are now opened in Twitch app (if installed)
- More links on the game details + compact design
- Available news about game are displayed on game detail

- Added basic performance monitoring to help me catch slow parts of the app

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, happy to announce new updates:

- Search games: With new search, you should be able to find all the available Switch games
- Organize your Gallery: You can now name groups in gallery and quickly jump between them with "Jump menu".
- Discover awesome games with new "Game collections" in the Games tab
- Easily share your Friend Code with friends. You can save your code in SwitchBuddy and then easily show QR code to your friends to scan
- Calendar widget for SwitchBuddy+. See all your favorited games in a current month on a single widget
- Better loading of Games section - the rows should no longer jump around
- Improved games grid design
- Some smaller color tweaks and similar

Here are current widgets:

switchbuddy-widgets-promo.png

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
I have also created a couple of videos that showcase the new features.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
After months of backend work, I am back with another update 🚀

Version 3.1.9 adds price info and links to quickly open Nintendo eShop in North America and Europe (other countries aren't technically possible atm).

This pricing info also shows current sales which opens another exciting possibilities for the near future ;)

switchbuddy-prices-update.jpg

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Another exciting update is live! Version 3.2.0 brought Nintendo eShop sales directly to the app - so you can stay on top of current deals and save money.

I have also added an option to browse all games by modes; this is mostly there to quickly find new games that support split-screen and co-op play for local gaming.

switchbuddy-3-2-0-update-banner.png

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Really happy to introduce another big update 🎉

Building on the Deals feature from previous update, this one adds the option to add games to "Wishlist" to be able to quickly check current prices and see sales. (Notifications for sales will be coming later - it needs quite a bit of work).

This update also adds the option to browse games by specific genre (like RTS, Arcade, Shooter, etc..)

switchbuddy-3-3-0-update-banner.png

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, after almost two months of work, the new update is finally here 🎉

The main features are notifications and Lock Screen widgets. For upcoming favorite games you can set up notification to be notified when the game releases. SwitchBuddy now does prices check in the background for wishlisted games and will send you notification when there is new discount available.

More details in the attached release notes.

switchbuddy-eshop-prices-checker-sales-notifications.jpg

## Notifications
Get notified about game releses, sales on your wishlished games and more!

## eShop Region settings
eShop-related features now work for everyone! You can also select the source country for deals and pricing info. It is unfortunately not possible to support every country.

## Free-to-Play list
SwitchBuddy now lists all the games that are free in the eShop. (you can find it on the Games screen).

## Countdown widgets themes
With new theming options you can change the background of countdown & bookmark widgets.

## Better Transfer
You can quickly start new transfer with brand-new widgets or icon shortcut (long-press on the app icon on your home screen)

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello!

Finally managed to finish and ship OpenCritic integration 🎉🎉🎉

This makes it possible to show the critics score's on game detail screen + the ability to browse available reviews so you can better make a decision whether to buy particular game or not.

OpenCritic scores also means I can have "Best of 2023" collection of games that is automatically updated allowing you to find the best games of this year.

In the future I want to make more use of this integration to perhaps offer filtering of deals based on the ratings and similar.

switchbuddy-opencritic-update-banner.jpg

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
New TestFlight after some time :D

I am working on the ability to filter Nintendo eShop discounts (theres more than 1000 deals at any given time) and wanted to give this more polishing time.

Some example use cases:
- Find best rated games that are on sale
- Find RPG or Racing games that support Split-Screen
- Find Indie games with Co-op

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Version 3.6.0 is live :cool:

## Easily discover games with filters

You can now filter games lists when browsing by Game mode or Genre. For example you can see only Split-screen racing games with overage rating over 80.

## Filter deals (SwitchBuddy+)

Lost in hundreds of discounts? Use the new Filter! You can filter based on game modes, genres and OpenCritic rating. For example you can easily find the best discounted games by using the average rating filter.

This update also includes various little fixes and tweaks.
You can try the premium features via the above available TestFlight.

App Store link: https://apps.apple.com/app/switchbuddy/id1563251210

SwitchBuddy_image_Banner_0_ca8b_standard.png

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Hello, couple of smaller updates landed:

## Easily discover games with filters

You can now filter games lists when browsing by Game mode or Genre. For example you can see only Split-screen racing games with overage rating over 80.

## Filter deals (SwitchBuddy+)

Lost in hundreds of discounts? Use the new Filter! You can filter based on game modes, genres and OpenCritic rating. For example you can easily find the best discounted games by using the average rating filter.

## Best Games

New section available from "Games" that list TOP 20 Nintendo Switch games ever by OpenCritic ratings and best games each year since Switch release. Previous years require SwitchBuddy+.

This update also includes various little fixes and tweaks.

- Hopefully no missing YouTube thumbnails with this update :)
- OpenCritic tweaks (using the same calculated score as their website)
- Other smaller fixes and tweaks

- Added support for Ireland eShop
- Some tweaks to gallery loading
- App shortcut to open games search
- Bug fixes

- Meet "Shake Shortcuts Menu". Shake your device to access Transfer / Games Search / Friend Code anywhere in the app (iOS 16+)
- Enabled Live Text in the gallery. You can now easily copy text from screenshots or create stickers (stickers require iOS 17).
- Better UI for StandBy
- Prettier "GamingBuddy" promo screen that is sometimes displayed
- Minor bug fixes and similar

PS: Do you play on more platforms than Switch? Check out my GamingBuddy app.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Update 3.6.6 is out. Its main focus is on the Favorites screen which now supports A-Z ordering in addition to the default by date added. I have also added option to view favorites as a list in addition to existing grid layout.

The app also shows whether game is a DLC, Expansion, Remake and similar on the detail screen.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Last update this year :)

You can now see which games offer demo version and also filter available Deals based on this criteria (filtering is Plus feature).

There is also brand-new "New Reveals" list for just announced Switch games, ESRB & PEGI ratings info and some bug fixes.

switchbuddy-demo-update-banner.jpeg

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
The next update already landed :)

Support for Bundles
When you open a game that is a bundle, you can easily view all games that are part of that bundle.

Games that are part of a bundle also link to these bundles with new "Bundled in" section.

Preferences
There is new "Preferences" screen in More so important app settings are available from a single place. You can also customize the recently introduced Shake Menu or turn it off completely.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Version 3.6.9 is now live, bringing improvements to the Gallery and also two new widget types.

## Gallery improvements

You can change how the gallery shows screenshots and videos. New option allows grouping by date instead of game. There is also the ability to "join" multiple groups by naming them the same.

## New widgets

Two new widgets to easily view Featured games. Requires SwitchBuddy+.

This update also contains bug fixes and other smaller tweaks & improvements.
I have also been tracking all the available Nintendo Switch demos which are visible on the official website. See here demos from European shop: https://switchbuddy.app/nintendo-switch-demos-europe-full-list and American one: https://switchbuddy.app/nintendo-switch-demos-america-full-list

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
New update just launched. This is mostly preparation for the upcoming Nintendo Direct and other presentations :)

## Preparation for Nintendo Directs and other events
You should start seeing events in the News tab once new ones are announced and more improvements are on the way.

- Genres and game modes "tags" on game details are now tappable
- Added support for Chilean eShop
- Onboarding improvements, bug fixes and other tweaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.