Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tb2me

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Have any of you guys and gals noticed the fake Switcheasy Capsule Neos and Rebels on street carts in NYC (or, one presumes, other major cities)? They're super cheap and obviously don't offer the same protection of the real thing, but they are attractive. I'm waiting on my Rebel Celesta to arrive (because I was dumb and had it shipped to my parent's house, not mine! D'oh!) and I've been pretty antsy about having my 3GS naked in my pocket, so I picked up one of the fake Neos on the street today for all of $5. It's white and royal blue in satin finish plastic. (And the blue is shiny!)

Like I said, they're clearly not very high quality, but as an interim case until I get the real thing, it is very sharp!

(the pic was taken WITH my iPhone, so obviously the case is empty :) ) (And the pic was taken with a 3GS, but my hand was shaky and the lighting in here is AWFUL, ha)

Attachments

• 3655532210_33c85dff54_o.jpg
    3655532210_33c85dff54_o.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 107

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
it looks good and i think the connection between the two pieces is stronger than the real neo, but its not safe for you phone.

the fake rebel is fine because the inside piece is standard silicone, its not super protective but can't harm the phone.

the fake neo is just a hard plastic touching to your phone directly, any other hard case at least have thin silicon rails inside to protect the backplate.
so its not protective AND can harm your phone.

goodluck and thanks for the update.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Hmmm where did you snag that?

Like the color scheme. Just ordered the military green from the Switcheasy website. Looking forward to it as not seen that anywhere for the 3GS. Oops, that ain't 3GS it's the first iPhone. Ugh.

This looks like a cool color scheme for a knockoff. Don't think your iPhone will be destroyed by it in the short term either.

Shoot I just bought a polycarbonate case for this weekend while I await the the new neo from Amazon for $6 by Cozip. That's with no shipping via Amazon prime.

So I'll bang around with that this weekend while awaiting the new neo. Have been using a Casemate Signature (for AT&T) on both the 3G and now 3GS. Also had one for the 2g. That one made it for a year but was worn down in a year.

For some reason the leather version for AT&T is still in good shape and threw it right on the 3GS. In about a half a dozen drops for the earlier two phones, the Casemate hard leather case came through leaving the phones in pristine condition.

The funniest was in my kitchen not a week before selling the 3G. Picked up the phone and it was slipping and as I shifted my arm to snag it as it was falling it literally flew against the wall several feet before falling to the hard tile floor another few feet.

The 3G showed no power. Thought maybe it was dead. Couldn't start it. Put it on a cradle and powered it up. Good as new. Not a nick.

So where in Manhattan did you get the knockoff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.