Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Tried a few different phones in the last few months. 6S/6S Plus, S7, Moto G 4th Gen and most recently the SE a week ago. Definitely missed iOS. I was perfectly fine with everything else at least on the MotoG4. Pure Android definitely helps but iOS is always missed. So smoothe. I do wish Apple would start building in Qi wireless charging though. It was nice they are finally water resistant on the 7. Other then that the SE has been a joy. Fast, good camera, nice small size, good Battery and more. Helps full pricing isn't as high as the others too. Just my input after being on the SE for awhile.

Ryan

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I had the SE prior to my iPhone 7. It was a solid iPhone that I had zero issues with. However, the screen resolution was a huge downfall for me and I missed 3D Touch from my 6s. But over all, I appreciate the extra screen space on my iPhone 7.

Reactions: Tthomas612

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I had the SE prior to my iPhone 7. It was a solid iPhone that I had zero issues with. However, the screen resolution was a huge downfall for me and I missed 3D Touch from my 6s. But over all, I appreciate the extra screen space on my iPhone 7.

It really would be the best iPhone to date, IMO, if it had a better resolution. Every time I use the 4.7" I'm jealous of the screen (not size)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It really would be the best iPhone to date, IMO, if it had a better resolution. Every time I use the 4.7" I'm jealous of the screen (not size)

Agreed. It was my biggest gripe. But I understand the sacrifice was made from a smaller screen.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan

Yea. For me I never used 3D Touch anyway. Bigger screens are nice for certain tasks but then my portability aspect takes a step back.
[doublepost=1475077619][/doublepost]
Apple is working on "True" wireless charging technology that doesn't rely on a charging pad of some sort.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/16/energous-wattapp-apple-wireless-charging/

This seems very cool. Hopefully it's not 5 years out though lol

Kingofclouds

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
The SE has torn me completely. Owned one for 6 months now and love it but really miss the space the bigger screens give you....BUT nothing feels as good as those slab sides to hold. Every time I convince myself the 6/7 form factor is ok, all I have to do is pick one up and instantly the SE feels perfect again. Just a shame the black screen phone comes with( IMO) horrible Space Grey and not black or silver.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

Both the SE and the 4.7" iPhones have the same resolution (326ppi). The 4.7" model just has more pixels to fill up the bigger screen, but the spacing of the pixels is the same. The 4.7" iPhone does have a better contrast ratio, and the iPhone 7 series does have a wider color gamut (though I haven't really noticed much difference).

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The resolution has nothing to do with it. Both phones have the same PPI. The SE's screen is inferior to that of the 6 or newer, but it's not because of resolution. Just a higher quality display.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The resolution has nothing to do with it. Both phones have the same PPI. The SE's screen is inferior to that of the 6 or newer, but it's not because of resolution. Just a higher quality display.

That is really what I should have stated, but I think everyone knew what I meant. The screen is just old, and not nearly as good compared to the last few years. Obviously that is in large part b.c they used the 5S shell

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
So these are my thoughts on the iPhone SE. I just sold mine which I had used for the better part of 5 months. I scooped up a 6s Plus on the low after I returned my iPhone 7.

• Pocketbility. The SE is a great device to have in your pocket. When you get it out and hold it in your hand it feels natural.

• A9. The A9 chip seems faster in the SE than on the 6s or 6s Plus. It's a snappy little phone that shines when playing graphic heavy games.

• design. IMO the KING of all iPhone designs. The iPhone 5/5s was the last truly aesthetic pleasing iPhone. SE adds to that legacy.

• Battery. Even though the battery is smaller ... it has better battery than the regular 6s and iPhone 6. Though I believe it may not be as good as 6s Plus or 6 Plus the battery is damned good.

• Price. An iPhone with now almost too of the line specs for $399 ... sign me UP!!!

The bad of the SE ...

• Screen size. Apple could have easily made the screen 4.3" and still had the same body... which leads me to my next bullet...

• Bezels. With the 6/6s/7 Apple has started refusing Bezel size, but the SE has the screen and display of the 5s therefore the BEZELS ARE HUGE!! At times they seem WAY TOO BIG!!

• Front facing camera. 1.2 mp in 2016? Come Apple even trying to cut corners it should be nothing less than 5.

The SE is beautiful and I enjoyed my time with it, but I missed my screen and display

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Screen size is never enough. When the first iPhone came out, I couldn't imaging people squinting their eyes to look at a web page on a tinny 3.7" but they did, with zoom help. I got SE because carrying size top of my priority list, I was tempted by the 4.7", it looks almost tolerable, carrying size-wise to me, but at the end chose the iconic flat metal band design. Same I chose a Macbook 11" and every now and then I hook it up to a 25" monitor and go wow, but never regretted my 11" choice because my priority is portability.

sclubone

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
I'm on my third SE now - two silver, and one grey - the screen quality is markedly improved in the latest grey unit, whereas blacks were quite grey in the earlier silver models. Are there different suppliers for the screens, and an easy way to find out which is which?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The SE has torn me completely. Owned one for 6 months now and love it but really miss the space the bigger screens give you....BUT nothing feels as good as those slab sides to hold. Every time I convince myself the 6/7 form factor is ok, all I have to do is pick one up and instantly the SE feels perfect again. Just a shame the black screen phone comes with( IMO) horrible Space Grey and not black or silver.

The bleakness of space grey forced me into gold. If they still did a slate SE looking banged up and all over time id still do it :D
[doublepost=1478016712][/doublepost]
I'm on my third SE now - two silver, and one grey - the screen quality is markedly improved in the latest grey unit, whereas blacks were quite grey in the earlier silver models. Are there different suppliers for the screens, and an easy way to find out which is which?

It's luck of the draw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.