Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
OK hi folks I am back with my two week assessment (unbiased assessment) of my new Samsung Galaxy S3. I will include my initial post and update it. The reason for this post in Apple MacRumours is simply I really like a lot of Apple products and wanted to offer a perspective of someone who had never used any other products than Apple (any that matter). If you have read this post before, just skim to the blue parts, those are my updates.

Well as I have intimated in previous posts, I did finally take the plunge to get a SSGS3. Here are my opinions/assessments on it compared to my iP4.

Build Quality:

Despite what some people say about the build quality, I think the device feels lovely in my quite small hands. It has a nice feel to it, best compared to a lovely glass pebble that is stretched out. (remember this is all MY opinion). It is light as hell and compared to the build quality of the iP4 (which is my comparison basis), feels more nimble and light. Yes iP4 has a SOLID build to it, it is a lovely device but the GS3 feels lighter and nicer in the hand.

OK I have found my opinion has NOT changed in the feel or look of the form factor. I have since put a case on the phone and it looks really sharp on the device and allows more grip on the device, not that the grip was bad before

Screen:

The screen IS awesome. I can see no difference in text or desktop resolution. I was anticipating to see some fuzzy but I see nothing to say that it is in any way less than the retina screen. The real estate of the screen is also amazing. If this (pentile) was a factor to keep from switching, don't even sweat it.

I don't find any difference in my opinion on this either. The screen renders clear and is very attractive, if people find it a bit over saturated they can disable an option in the display menu called: Auto Adjust screen tone. This is selected by default as an energy save I believe.

OH and I have to admit that playing games on this screen is much more fun that my last phone.

Size:

OK here I am mixed. I do like the pocket-ability of the iP4 make no bones about that. SSGS3 is NOT a pocket phone in any way, shape or form. If you have really baggy pants or large pockets you can fit it in there but for me, since I value investments, it will now either be in a holster or in my purse.

As far as texting, I find it the same if not a little bit better than the iP4 (i love the haptic feed back, but have currently disengaged it to solve a battery issue). Even though I have short stumpy thumbs it works well. I am looking into getting a thumb keyboard app which splits the keyboard like it does on the iPad.

Reading and watching everything is better on this device. Especially as you get a bit older haha!

One handed texting: Awkward, but I have never one hand texted much before so it's not an issue for me. This might be a deal breaker for some though. I couldn't one hand text for shizz anyways...

Update: Still feel the same about the size of the device but I have since DL Thumb Keyboard and have customized it to work with my stumpy lil thumbs and I can type much more quickly and accurately than I have been able to before. I am still waiting on a SGP Screen protector and then I can start just dumping it in a handbag when I go. It CAN fit in my rear jeans pocket but I would not want to have to sit down! Just as a kind of Easter Egg, apparently there is an option to have it ring/vibrate louder/harder if it is in a purse or pocket, although How it knows where it is is beyond me and I haven't tested this yet.

Speed:

Yep it's fast but this is my first 4G/LTE phone so I am not really going to count that as a comparison.

Update: As far as apps opening, page switching etc, it is very fluid and non laggy. Synchronization over WiFi happens very briskly.

Battery: (Edited for brevity)

Here is the pain. Firstly since this is my first Android phone, other than reading forums etc I really can't judge what is GOOD for an Android phone battery...I can only compare it to the iP4 and the iP4 wins hands down for battery.

This is still true but now I have seemed to rectify the issue by factory resetting the phone and bumping the battery (reset caused due to NOOB ownership)

I know I have to be much more diligent with my usage and what to have on vs what I did with the iP4. With the iPhone, I never had to turn off things such as wifi, bluetooth etc just to save battery. I realize the screen takes a lot of juice and I have it turned down accordingly.

Update: I know use my device as I wish to throughout the day, sometimes I play games, sometimes it stays Idle but I had aprx 19hrs on the device with 43% battery left last night (Damn that game Zombie Farm)

So, the battery comes nowhere near the iPhone4. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am still new to it and I still have a learning curve on the device. I hear this is an issue for the european versions (regarding cell phone standby).

This is still true, but as time went on with my iP4, I was playing much less games and fiddling around with the phone much less also.

Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

This remains true. Also I do have to say, it is really nice to see all of the menu choices/customization that is available. It is nice to have almost full control of how my device works. I suspect full control requires Root. Considering I have already had to reset my device, I think I will stay away from that side of the fence for a while!

I haven't delved into the music aspect yet, but video plays smooth and loads fast.

UPDATE: One thing I worried about was how to incorporate my new Android into my Apple Ecosystem. One way I discovered was iSyncr Wifi. It allows you to sync your music back and forth, with playlists and podcasts wirelessly hand in hand with iTunes. I also learned how you can save your Address book contacts and back them up to your Android device which helped when I had to reset my phone (again, this was not because of the device behaviour but rather the user error) Tip: Never delete Widgets when you are in the applications manager menu....If you didn't already know, they are part of a widget and when you delete a widget you delete the app LOL!!

Of even more importance (to me) I have learned that iSyncr will sync my Android device photos to a file on my iMac that I can then use iPhoto to pull them in, keeping my memories all in the same place which is what I wanted.

The speaker is much better than on the iP4 for listening to music when I am in the shower.

This has not changed. Speaker has much more volume.

I have taken some video and a few pics and the camera seems to work well but I will go more into it this weekend.

Edit, I have taken some photos and videos and they have turned out very well so no complaints there.

Call quality is great both on receiving end and my end. This has not changed either

If you have lots of friends that used to iMessage you on your iPhone, you will have to disable iMessage on your iPhone and possibly even remove the device from the support page, barring that, have your friends when texting you, tap and hold on the initial text that they send that keeps being sent as an iMessage whether you have the phone or not, when you hold on the text, a bubble comes up which says: "Send as Text Message" This should break the cycle of you sending them texts they can read and you not receiving their replies because their phone associates your number with Apple ID.

Again, I am just starting the learning curve, but so far no regrets. The apps I have downloaded look great but one thing that blows is that for the Mint.com finance one, Android doesn't allow you a quick search function to choose what you spent your money on when you are entering an expenditure which iPhone app does (huge time saver that is too!).

Also I have noted that having the Newest Android handset with a different screen size than the rest is not the best way to ensure you get the apps and games that you want. Some are just not supported yet. This is either something one has to live with, or if it's a deal breaker, return to iPhone. For me I can work around it so I will be keeping this phone.

The only thing that really remains is deciding if I want to learn to root or not. So far I don't find anything bothersome with TouchWiz. I don't know how it compares to "stock" and am finding no issues with the phone so at this time it is not necessary, also Root and Custom Roms seem to take a while to come to Canadian carrier based phones on XDA.

As far as reliability goes, I have had one game crash on me once in the two weeks I have had it. I have had the device hitch up on iSyncr when I pushed in too many commands for it. But so far, not once have I had it reboot itself or freeze or any of the old complaints that you hear about an Android Phone. (lag, slow response, app crashes etc).

Time will truly tell if this phone stands up to the stellar reliability that my iPhone4 has shown me. I sent it to my mom knowing it would be reliable and a great device for her. I wonder if I will be able to say the same with an Android device ;)

So this concludes my Android experience from the viewpoint of an avid Apple girl. It's not as scary as I would have assumed, but I will say that YES, if you are NOT in the mood to frig around with your phone and just want a grab and go, Apple is the best for this. With all of the options that Android gives you, you are bound to waste/spend time (depends on your perspective) just simply because the options are THERE! I am not so sure I would want to give my mom this phone. Considering she is about as tech savy as my cat. I am NOT saying that Apple users are simple but she has an iPad that she finally got used to, going to an iPhone will be an easy transition (I had to help her out with the iPad at first).

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
thank you for the really insightful review, while i'm not apt to jump ship at this time when i'm ready for a new phone (oct) i will definitely take this into consideration
since my renewal happens around the same time as the supposed release of the iphone5 this give one something to think about

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is about as unbiased a review can get, so kudos.

There is a world to discover outside of iOS, and I'm happy it's working out for you in positive ways.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks guys, I really did want to put forth a review that didn't generate the Android vs Apple debate. I still really like iPhone and have nothing really negative to say about it, I just wanted to change it up a bit. Who knows I may end up switching back to Apple in a couple of years (or sooner if this device doesn't stand the test of time).

Til then I still am enjoying my 3rd Gen iPad and my 2009 iMac 27" Quad core i7! Gotta get that Apple fix somehow!

Last edited:

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the great review! I'm currently trying to decide if I want to give the S3 a shot as well. It's very discomforting thinking about leaving my trusty (reliable) iPhone behind!

I have a question for you:

Have you been able to hook your S3 to your car bluetooth so that you can send and receive text messages hands free? This is a fantastic feature on Windows phones (Nokia Lumia 900 has it) where, when you receive a text, the phone announced the name of the sender and asks if you want the message read. You can then reply verbally (your message will be read back to you for accuracy) and send back...all without touching the phone. Great stuff!

Can the Samsung do that?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks for the great review! I'm currently trying to decide if I want to give the S3 a shot as well. It's very discomforting thinking about leaving my trusty (reliable) iPhone behind!

I have a question for you:

Have you been able to hook your S3 to your car bluetooth so that you can send and receive text messages hands free? This is a fantastic feature on Windows phones (Nokia Lumia 900 has it) where, when you receive a text, the phone announced the name of the sender and asks if you want the message read. You can then reply verbally (your message will be read back to you for accuracy) and send back...all without touching the phone. Great stuff!

Can the Samsung do that?

Alas I can't say... I have hooked it up to my car for hands free calls. OH! That reminds me, for some reason people who receive the call from me hear more background noise with my SSGS3 than with iP4. I forgot to include that. I am also not sure how to rectify, or what the cause is, but I guess it will suffice for quick calls but not long chats on the highway... sigh. The noise difference can be one of two things, either Sammy's BT is ******** or it's better and picking up all of the noise in my vehicle, which is possible because my car is not really very sound proof from wheel vibration etc. (known issue with Mazda 3 vehicles)

Sorry, I have never tried the text thing... If it happens I will let you know! I think I would require some sort of IM to voice app no?

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I have a question regarding the Galaxy S3 as well. I previously switched to the Galaxy Nexus and it didn't have the ability to group SMS with contacts. I don't mean sending out a mass text but rather how the iPhone, Blackberry, and many other devices allow you to have a threaded conversation with multiple people. This is a must-have feature for me as I use it in both personal and business environments multiple times per day. So does the Galaxy S3 have the ability to have threaded group SMS conversations? Thanks.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wrathwitch you're awesome!!

Thank you so much for this review its unbias and very honest and sincere, although I'm more than happy with my IP4, you provided exactly the type of review I want to read when it comes to my curiosity of other phones.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Til then I still am enjoying my 3rd Gen iPad and my 2009 iMac 27" Quad core i7! Gotta get that Apple fix somehow!

That's precisely what I do. I'm Apple everywhere else but my smartphone -- I just need more out of a device that I carry on me at all times.

Whereas for more leisurely things like apps, games, reading, light browsing, I go to my iPad. And computers, fugetaboutit; all macs at home.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I have a question regarding the Galaxy S3 as well. I previously switched to the Galaxy Nexus and it didn't have the ability to group SMS with contacts. I don't mean sending out a mass text but rather how the iPhone, Blackberry, and many other devices allow you to have a threaded conversation with multiple people. This is a must-have feature for me as I use it in both personal and business environments multiple times per day. So does the Galaxy S3 have the ability to have threaded group SMS conversations? Thanks.

I just checked out my phone and I didn't see it available. Now that being said, I haven't used it that way yet, but I did do a little research and there are a couple of SMS Apps on Android market that may work for threaded SMS messages. One I believe was GO SMS Pro and Handcent, but you would have to look up those yourself to see if they meet your needs.

sorry I couldn't be more help, I just thought ALL phones did that!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for the insight WW, appreciate the info as I'm about to venture down a similar path. I'm taking delivery of a new Galaxy Nexus this week and am looking forward to giving Android, specifically Jelly Bean and thorough work over.

My biggest concerns involve keeping data synced across all of our devices, of which this will be the only non iOS device. More specifically, I presently use iCloud to sync my contacts, calendars, and Safari bookmarks across a 4s, iPad and 2 Macs. The bigger problem is that I also sync calendars with my wife's iPhone and iPad. I really don't want to have to migrate all of this functionality over to Google but from what I've read, if I want it to work I don't think I'm going to have a choice--really not looking forward to reconfiguring 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and 3 Macs (damn, forgot about my wife's new MBA) just to get this to work. And I know I can use Chrome to sync bookmarks across all devices now but again, trying not to switch everything just to use one new device. IMO, biggest problem using Android and iOS simultaneously is the fact that I can use any number of methods to sync this data on iOS devices, including iCloud but can't use it on Android.

My other problem is losing iMessage. I have an old AT&T grandfathered text plan with only 200/month and as so much of my messaging is to other iOS users, I rarely come close to using it. Also means my kids can't text me from their iPods and iPad any longer. Again, I'm aware there are alternative solutions but all involve all of my iOS contacts changing as well--really not feasible.

I honestly don't foresee switching permanently--will probably split time between the 4s and GNex until the next iPhone arrives so I'll do the best the make do until then.

Sorry for the slight threadjack WW, just thought I'd jump in with my similar situation before this thread degenerates into an Apple/iOS/Android pissing contest as unfortunately happened with your last thread. If anyone with similar experiences as advice or can point me in the right direction for some solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for the useful insights into your experience moving from iOS to Android Wrathwitch. :)

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

This remains true. Also I do have to say, it is really nice to see all of the menu choices/customization that is available. It is nice to have almost full control of how my device works. I suspect full control requires Root. Considering I have already had to reset my device, I think I will stay away from that side of the fence for a while!

I don't think that most people really need to root their phone unless there is something they really want to do that requires root or if you like to really tinker with your phone. I know that some people cannot stand carrier bloatware on their phone so they root for that reason. For me, I just remove the icons from my home screen. I know that some people say they can get better battery life by rooting. If you still feel that battery life is an issue and really want to try to improve it by rooting, you should do some more research before undertaking it.

You seem to be very happy with it as is. My impression that rooting may not provide you a lot of gain for the effort and risk.

In any case, I really enjoyed your review. It is much better that some of the other tech reviews I have read. Many of the tech reviews tend to go into technical details and are more or less cookie cutter reviews. I really enjoyed your review because it shows your personal use of the device. It is quite refreshing.

Can the Samsung do that?

I have used VLingo on my HTC Desire Z to do this in the past. It is possible. I actually recommend that you not try to text hands free. I did this a few times and I find that texting hands free is so much of a distraction that I feel it adds undue risks while driving. So much of my concentration is focussed on listening to the message and then speaking the command to compose a message, then compose the message in my head, speak the message, listen to the text message to make sure the voice reco understood me correctly and then confirm. To do all that while driving is just too much for me. I'd rather wait until I finish driving and then check and send my text messages.

I have also just used VLingo to send texts with voice only while not driving. At least for me, when I text, I pause from time to time. VLingo thinks that my pause is the end of the message. Not sure about other voice reco apps. Also, I have a tendency to go back and edit a couple of words here or there. Using voice reco to go back and edit just isn't convenient. I have to repeat the entire message.

Being able to send and receive text messages is cool. However, I just find it rather impractical once the novelty wears out. I also feel that it is too dangerous to text with voice reco while driving. The Siri hype made me try it on my phone, but at least the app that I tried on my phone just isn't as good as old fashioned typing.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Wrathwitch you're awesome!!

Thank you so much for this review its unbias and very honest and sincere, although I'm more than happy with my IP4, you provided exactly the type of review I want to read when it comes to my curiosity of other phones.

You are more than welcome. Again, I love both products. I never thought I would ever switch from an iPhone!! I really hope that Apple hits the ball out of the park with the new upcoming iPhone!

Thanks for the insight WW, appreciate the info as I'm about to venture down a similar path. I'm taking delivery of a new Galaxy Nexus this week and am looking forward to giving Android, specifically Jelly Bean and thorough work over.

My biggest concerns involve keeping data synced across all of our devices, of which this will be the only non iOS device. More specifically, I presently use iCloud to sync my contacts, calendars, and Safari bookmarks across a 4s, iPad and 2 Macs. The bigger problem is that I also sync calendars with my wife's iPhone and iPad. I really don't want to have to migrate all of this functionality over to Google but from what I've read, if I want it to work I don't think I'm going to have a choice--really not looking forward to reconfiguring 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and 3 Macs (damn, forgot about my wife's new MBA) just to get this to work. And I know I can use Chrome to sync bookmarks across all devices now but again, trying not to switch everything just to use one new device. IMO, biggest problem using Android and iOS simultaneously is the fact that I can use any number of methods to sync this data on iOS devices, including iCloud but can't use it on Android.

My other problem is losing iMessage. I have an old AT&T grandfathered text plan with only 200/month and as so much of my messaging is to other iOS users, I rarely come close to using it. Also means my kids can't text me from their iPods and iPad any longer. Again, I'm aware there are alternative solutions but all involve all of my iOS contacts changing as well--really not feasible.

I honestly don't foresee switching permanently--will probably split time between the 4s and GNex until the next iPhone arrives so I'll do the best the make do until then.

Sorry for the slight threadjack WW, just thought I'd jump in with my similar situation before this thread degenerates into an Apple/iOS/Android pissing contest as unfortunately happened with your last thread. If anyone with similar experiences as advice or can point me in the right direction for some solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for the useful insights into your experience moving from iOS to Android Wrathwitch. :)

TY for the compliment. I know how you mean with regards to losing iMessage, it is how my parents used to text me. I think I solved this problem by giving my mom the iPhone4 which will include 10 faves and unlimited texting! We can still Facetime with her iPhone/iPad and my iPad. It was a small factor when I decided to switch as I felt a bit guilty gettin them all cozy into the Apple world and finally iMessage just to remove the option from them!! I don't have as many devices as hardwired into the eco system as you though, you might find it not worth your time.... time will tell.

I don't think that most people really need to root their phone unless there is something they really want to do that requires root or if you like to really tinker with your phone. I know that some people cannot stand carrier bloatware on their phone so they root for that reason. For me, I just remove the icons from my home screen. I know that some people say they can get better battery life by rooting. If you still feel that battery life is an issue and really want to try to improve it by rooting, you should do some more research before undertaking it.

You seem to be very happy with it as is. My impression that rooting may not provide you a lot of gain for the effort and risk.

In any case, I really enjoyed your review. It is much better that some of the other tech reviews I have read. Many of the tech reviews tend to go into technical details and are more or less cookie cutter reviews. I really enjoyed your review because it shows your personal use of the device. It is quite refreshing.

I'd rather wait until I finish driving and then check and send my text messages.

Being able to send and receive text messages is cool. However, I just find it rather impractical once the novelty wears out. I also feel that it is too dangerous to text with voice reco while driving. The Siri hype made me try it on my phone, but at least the app that I tried on my phone just isn't as good as old fashioned typing.

You are welcome and I totally agree with you. Text is never that important, usually if people are phoning it is more urgent and also easier to deal with over BT.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I have used VLingo on my HTC Desire Z to do this in the past. It is possible. I actually recommend that you not try to text hands free. I did this a few times and I find that texting hands free is so much of a distraction that I feel it adds undue risks while driving. So much of my concentration is focussed on listening to the message and then speaking the command to compose a message, then compose the message in my head, speak the message, listen to the text message to make sure the voice reco understood me correctly and then confirm. To do all that while driving is just too much for me. I'd rather wait until I finish driving and then check and send my text messages.

That's interesting that you feel that way as I found the complete opposite to be true. It was very easy for me to listen and reply and I felt no pressure or distraction. Perhaps the Lumia 900 handles the process a little differently (the feature is native to the phone rather than an application).

It was so seamless and easy that, although I am not a person who texts all that frequently, I instantly felt this was a "must have" option and not a novelty (although it is pretty darn cool at first).

For me, it allows me to safely text without ever removing my eyes from the road. I found it to be no different than having a casual conversation with a person in the passenger seat. It worked that well.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I am going back and forth over trying out the GS3. I just tried the HTC One X and I was not a huge fan of it although it was a good phone. I am a smoker and so one handed texting is a big deal to me and I couldn't do it with the One X. I also couldn't stand not having the home button with the One X which is one reason I think the S3 would be an easier transition for me. My problem is losing the eco system with my iPad and AppleTV. I like that with iOS 6 I can respond to imessages on my ipad if I don't feel like switching to my phone. Also I like photo stream. Is there anything on S3 that allows you to sync pictures with the iPad or are you just using something like dropbox? I will probably wait for the iPhone 5 to come out to make my decision but the S3 is still high on the list. Glad the switch is working out for you.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I also couldn't stand not having the home button with the One X which is one reason I think the S3 would be an easier transition for me.

I'm having trouble deciding too. The HTC has the button on the top of the phone like the iPhone which I like. But the SIII has the home button!

Decisions, decisions!

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I am going back and forth over trying out the GS3. I just tried the HTC One X and I was not a huge fan of it although it was a good phone. I am a smoker and so one handed texting is a big deal to me and I couldn't do it with the One X. I also couldn't stand not having the home button with the One X which is one reason I think the S3 would be an easier transition for me. My problem is losing the eco system with my iPad and AppleTV. I like that with iOS 6 I can respond to imessages on my ipad if I don't feel like switching to my phone. Also I like photo stream. Is there anything on S3 that allows you to sync pictures with the iPad or are you just using something like dropbox? I will probably wait for the iPhone 5 to come out to make my decision but the S3 is still high on the list. Glad the switch is working out for you.

Forget about texting one handed. If you couldn't with the One X you won't be able to with the SSGS3! If I want photos on my iPad from my phone, Dropbox will have to be the way to go. I don't really upload pics to my iPad though.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Any SG3 users experiencing battery drain while in standby mode? I'm on AT&T btw.

I did initially have some issue similar to that, there IS a known issue with the SSGS3 if you Google battery drain there is a fix for the indicators for battery. To actually stop the drain (was getting 1-2%/hr in standby) I did a factory reset and bumped the battery once. Since then (also use Juice Defender app) I have had no issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

I have a question regarding the Galaxy S3 as well.

Shoot, will answer if I can, but Google is more knowledgeable than I am! :D

*Edit: Interesting that this post no longer exists. I didn't see the image so I am not sure what that was all about*

Last edited:

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
that link you posted was for the Droid Incredible but maybe it applies to the SG3 as well. On my SG3 I lose about 0.5% per hour at night. During the day it really depends on how many and how often you are syncing email, facebook, twitter etc. Remember that any of these will wake the phone up, connect, sync and then go to sleep again.

Juice defender is great for controlling how often services like gmail get polled and will certainly improve the standby time.

I did initially have some issue similar to that, there IS a known issue with the SSGS3 if you Google battery drain there is a fix for the indicators for battery. To actually stop the drain (was getting 1-2%/hr in standby) I did a factory reset and bumped the battery once. Since then (also use Juice Defender app) I have had no issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

Shoot, will answer if I can, but Google is more knowledgeable than I am! :D

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
that link you posted was for the Droid Incredible but maybe it applies to the SG3 as well. On my SG3 I lose about 0.5% per hour at night. During the day it really depends on how many and how often you are syncing email, facebook, twitter etc. Remember that any of these will wake the phone up, connect, sync and then go to sleep again.

Juice defender is great for controlling how often services like gmail get polled and will certainly improve the standby time.

It was for the principles that I posted the article. Moreso on HOW a battery charges/discharges. That is physics and should not change no matter what phone you use. Also, I suspect it has a bit to do with how a handset manufacturer sets their device to charge/discharge.

As you say .5% is not insane, esp depending on what is waking your device. Two apps I downloaded to check on this phenomenon was Better Battery Stats and CPU Spy. I also Disabled a lot of the Samsung crap that I have no intention of using but am forced to have lurking on my phone :)

wtmk81

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm having trouble deciding too. The HTC has the button on the top of the phone like the iPhone which I like. But the SIII has the home button!

Decisions, decisions!

I traded my 4S straight up for an HTC One X last month. I love the One X, the screen is amazing. My only gripe with the phone is the placement of the lock button. The screen is so big that it's hard for me to reach that spot. I would have much preferred that HTC put the button on the side where the SGS3 has it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Great read, it is nice to get a full prospective, in a way that isn't intended to trash or enrage other users on here.

I too am a mixed mode used who has android and iOS devices. I share some of the feelings on here with regards to the new Samsung phone. I can't decide if I want to go the route of the s3, or replace my iPhone 4 with a newer iPhone this coming October or November.

Having other options is great, but I too have many devices in the apple ecosystem.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Great read, it is nice to get a full prospective, in a way that isn't intended to trash or enrage other users on here.

I too am a mixed mode used who has android and iOS devices. I share some of the feelings on here with regards to the new Samsung phone. I can't decide if I want to go the route of the s3, or replace my iPhone 4 with a newer iPhone this coming October or November.

Having other options is great, but I too have many devices in the apple ecosystem.

Ty for the compliment. I think if I had a lot of devices (Apple) which all synced and functioned as a nice eco system I wouldn't have switched. But my iMac has Snow Leopard and so doesn't have access to iCloud/photo stream and syncronization. My iPad basically stands alone because my iMac is not Lion updated. Sooo while it was neat having my iP4 pics photo streaming to my iPad, I only really use my iPad as RSS news reader, some light surfing and Zynga poker. It pretty much lives in my bedroom. So, I also didn't have lots of paid apps either.

That being said what I DO have and make good use of, is the communication between my iMac, iPad and APPLE TV for video and music streaming downstairs in my living room! You will have to pry my iPad out of my cold dead hands! LOL!

Unless you are starving for a new experience and device, it is pretty much nothing but win to wait for the new upcoming iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.