Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
redAPPLE said:
so, does it mean, just UPDATING the OS would be ok?

e.g. one old g4 has x.3.9 (and this g4 is not the cleanest computer. programs installed, which i don't use no more etc.). i want to upgrade it to x.4. would the performance not suffer?

Although it would probably be fine.... I hear "less" people who are upset doing clean installs. Less troubles. Sure it takes longer, but it gives you a chance to do some housecleaning. There's a lot of files in OSX under the hood.
Good way to keep the machine clean.

But in MOST cases, upgrading is probably fine - from the feedback rec'd here... always backup before you do either.

mills04

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Worthing, West Sussex, UK.
I've only ever had to reinstall once, and that was when I was sending something over my network to a Windows PC and I accidently shut down my iBook lid.:rolleyes:

I always back up my stuff every week to my Lacie drive. Just to be safe.

I always use OnyX to repair permissions and run maintenance scripts. Does the job ok.

Happy Mac-ing.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
generik said:
You may need to do it if you use this command:

sudo rm -rf /*
Yup! Do it from a 'Terminal' window and look away for a while. :rolleyes: :D

What better way to spend some free time?! :p

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Crikey said:
Heh. When I bought my G4 tower, it had 10.0 installed but came with the CD for 10.1; I installed 10.1 right over the top of 10.0 and it worked great. Then 10.2 came out, and I installed it right over the top of 10.1. Then 10.3 came out, and I installed it right over the top of 10.2.
Heh... that sounds like me. I did exactly the same thing with my old G4 tower (except I installed 10.0 the day it shipped), except at the point of upgrade between 10.2 and 10.3 I also moved the OS to a G5--cloned 10.2 to the G5's drive, then installed a straight 10.3 upgrade right on top of it. Never even did an archive and install.

Worked great except for this one little glitch that, so far as I could figure from the three other people in the world who reported it, only occurred on G5s that had been upgrade-installed from 10.2 to 10.3 and had over 2GB of RAM. And even that was just a minor annoyance.

10.4, I did finally do a completely fresh install and use the migration thingy to move my users over, but I doubt even that was necessary.

So no, I wouldn't get too worked up about reinstalling unless there's a very good reason. If you particularly love system hacks (as opposed to just a lot of apps), then eventually you might screw something up badly enough that an archive and install is required, but even then I'd only do it if there's a specific reason for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.