Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
So I’m waiting for my AirPods Max to arrive (Sunday) and I have a question.
They’re obviously going to be paired to my iPhone but I’d like to pair them to my PC.
Is it possible to also pair them to a PC and switch from phone to PC without having to unpair (from iPhone) and then re-pair to PC and vice versa?

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
Have had a pair of AirPod Max for a week and they seem to pair seamlessly between my iPhone 12 max and 2019 iMac. As soon as you put them on and you are working on your Mac they connect straight away. Not sure what would happen if your iPhone is near the Mac, I think in that case if they are paired to the iPhone you may have go into the bluetooth settings and select manually, perhaps someone could clarify that. By the way I always said that I would not buy a pair of max because of the price but decided to give them a try and honestly so far I'm glad I did, They are comfortable, sound great, music and movies. Not quite audiophile quality but hey they are are not sold as such. FYI purchased them from Richer Sounds for £478 entered the discount code for free next day delivery, strangely on the buy now page the final price was £472 and was still delivered the next day.

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Have had a pair of AirPod Max for a week and they seem to pair seamlessly between my iPhone 12 max and 2019 iMac. As soon as you put them on and you are working on your Mac they connect straight away. Not sure what would happen if your iPhone is near the Mac, I think in that case if they are paired to the iPhone you may have go into the bluetooth settings and select manually, perhaps someone could clarify that. By the way I always said that I would not buy a pair of max because of the price but decided to give them a try and honestly so far I'm glad I did, They are comfortable, sound great, music and movies. Not quite audiophile quality but hey they are are not sold as such. FYI purchased them from Richer Sounds for £478 entered the discount code for free next day delivery, strangely on the buy now page the final price was £472 and was still delivered the next day.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been sitting in the fence for a while but had a notification yesterday that John Lewis had new stock in at £479 so Ive taken the plunge. Arriving tomorrow ☺️

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I do not own Airpods Max but I do have AirPods Pro that are paired to Apple devices (iPhone, iPad) but also to work Windows PC. There is no auto switching for the PC. When it comes to PC, they act like regular Bluetooth headphones - if the PC was the last device they have connected to they would connect automatically. In other cases you need to trigger the connection manually (from the Bluetooth settings).

Triggering the connection manually works consistently and is rather fast so no issues there.

Reactions: Retroglide08

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I do not own Airpods Max but I do have AirPods Pro that are paired to Apple devices (iPhone, iPad) but also to work Windows PC. There is no auto switching for the PC. When it comes to PC, they act like regular Bluetooth headphones - if the PC was the last device they have connected to they would connect automatically. In other cases you need to trigger the connection manually (from the Bluetooth settings).

Triggering the connection manually works consistently and is rather fast so no issues there.
That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification

Reactions: secretk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.