Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I daily drive an iPhone 13 mini that I love. I upgraded from an iPhone 8, which I still have.

I find that I spend too much time on my phone using social apps etc, and I would love to have the ability to switch to my iPhone 8 that doesn't have any social apps installed when I need to take a break.

I am using a virtual sim in my 13 mini - is there any way that I can, at a moment's notice, swap over to my 8 from my 13 mini for a day or weekend and then switch back? I'm on AT&T if that matters.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I am using a virtual sim in my 13 mini - is there any way that I can, at a moment's notice, swap over to my 8 from my 13 mini for a day or weekend and then switch back? I'm on AT&T if that matters.
No, there is no "quick" way to switch back and forth between the 13 mini and 8 if you are using eSim on the 13 mini.

Only "easy" way is to convert back to using a physical SIM card on the 13 mini. Then you can swap the SIM between the two phones.

Reactions: canuckRus

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Check out focus and screen time

with focus you can hide certain apps and their notifications, you can still launch them from search or the App Library.

with screen time, you can set daily time limits on certain apps, or categories of apps, so you can limit yourself to a certain time of social apps a day, after that, the app is locked, and notifications are hidden. You can still launch apps after you've hit the limit, but you'll be presented with a "1 minute, 15 minutes, or rest of day" option to limit how much additional time you'll be able to access them

Reactions: Chidoro

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
I just converted back to a pSIM, since I like to switch between an iPhone 12 PM and iPhone 13 mini. I’ve tried it with eSIM, but with Verizon I have to wait 24 hours before I could move the eSIM again. At least this was my experience about 6 months ago.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
No, there is no "quick" way to switch back and forth between the 13 mini and 8 if you are using eSim on the 13 mini.

Only "easy" way is to convert back to using a physical SIM card on the 13 mini. Then you can swap the SIM between the two phones.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll see if I can figure that out. If I had two phones with eSim, could I do what I wanted?
Would be much easier to get rid of all social apps instead.
Not an option for me, but thanks.
Check out focus and screen time

with focus you can hide certain apps and their notifications, you can still launch them from search or the App Library.

with screen time, you can set daily time limits on certain apps, or categories of apps, so you can limit yourself to a certain time of social apps a day, after that, the app is locked, and notifications are hidden. You can still launch apps after you've hit the limit, but you'll be presented with a "1 minute, 15 minutes, or rest of day" option to limit how much additional time you'll be able to access them

Thanks for that. I've looked into that a little bit, but not enough. I'll do some more digging.
I just converted back to a pSIM, since I like to switch between an iPhone 12 PM and iPhone 13 mini. I’ve tried it with eSIM, but with Verizon I have to wait 24 hours before I could move the eSIM again. At least this was my experience about 6 months ago.
Hmm, ok. That's a bummer. Is that a Verizon thing? I have AT&T.

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll see if I can figure that out. If I had two phones with eSim, could I do what I wanted?

Not an option for me, but thanks.

Thanks for that. I've looked into that a little bit, but not enough. I'll do some more digging.

Hmm, ok. That's a bummer. Is that a Verizon thing? I have AT&T.

Verizon thing

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
You can use an Apple Watch. You can still text and make calls to people.

I sometimes like to leave my iPhone at home and just go outside with just the Apple Watch.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
You can use an Apple Watch. You can still text and make calls to people.

I sometimes like to leave my iPhone at home and just go outside with just the Apple Watch.
My apple watch is not cellular, so that won't work unfortunately. Good idea, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.