Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Again, why bring up a solution in a privacy thread that is probably the least secure in protecting your data.

And you were recommending it.
I was saying that ChromeOs is a lot better as a distribution because it has the backing and maintenance of Google when it comes to features and stability and security which is most important to end users. I wasn’t really saying that you should use Chrome OS or Linux!! It is just a horrible idea for average users used to Apple ecosystem to switch to something like PopOS from MacOS and if you want people like that to use Linux at least Chromebook would be an easier and much more stable transition.

Also you can make ChromeOS as private as Chrome browser but I guess no one uses that because of privacy?? ChromeOS is also since it’s inception the most secure operating system in terms of zero day and other security vulnerabilities and is more secure than any other commercial OS. So from a users perspective coming from a MacBook which do you think would be easier for a average user to get used to a Starlabs notebook or a high end Chromebook like a Samsung with Oled screen or Acer 713?

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I was saying that ChromeOs is a lot better as a distribution because it has the backing and maintenance of Google when it comes to features and stability and security which is most important to end users. I wasn’t really saying that you should use Chrome OS or Linux!! It is just a horrible idea for average users used to Apple ecosystem to switch to something like PopOS from MacOS and if you want people like that to use Linux at least Chromebook would be an easier and much more stable transition.

Also you can make ChromeOS as private as Chrome browser but I guess no one uses that because of privacy?? ChromeOS is also since it’s inception the most secure operating system in terms of zero day and other security vulnerabilities and is more secure than any other commercial OS. So from a users perspective coming from a MacBook which do you think would be easier for a average user to get used to a Starlabs notebook or a high end Chromebook like a Samsung with Oled screen or Acer 713?
Not all end users give a flying **** about stability, features or security.

They tend to look at hardware specs & value for money. This was the surprising discovery of why the Android One program failed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also you can make ChromeOS as private as Chrome browser but I guess no one uses that because of privacy??
True, but then all you give up is your privacy, which is kind of what we're talking about.
I was saying that ChromeOs is a lot better as a distribution because it has the backing and maintenance of Google
I'm sure, and many of us use more privacy minded browsers instead of chrome.

It seems odd that you're promoting an OS that is antithesis of privacy in a privacy focused thread, I mean if we're talking distribution channels and support then Apple is great, but as noted, the OP chose to move off because (at the time) Apple's decision in reading iPhone's data without the owner's permission - Something that bothered the OP and yet chromeOS is your suggestion? Seems ill fitting to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: crymimefireworks

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
why do some experienced computer people (mostly from the 90's) who knows alot about internet and can get the latest copy of a StarWars movie in great quality in any format like and use and recommend google and their entire platform?

maybe they are too into deep in google and grew accustomed to their comfort and ease?
or they know too much about computers to be hacked?

this has been eating at me a little, lately.

about the CSAM
does anyone know what happened in the USA white house friday with the big 4 tech?
the UK is starting their "battle" on child safety encryption which will tackle child exploitation online.
this is through messenger apps Signal, Telegram, Facebook's WhatsApp and Apple's iMessage
so leaving  over CSAM is unnecessary because all platforms are being observed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Odd coincidence
The PinePhone Pro brings upgraded hardware to the Linux phone
Pine64 is launching a major hardware upgrade in its quest to build a Linux smartphone. After the launch of the original PinePhone in 2019, the organization is now taking preorders for the PinePhone Pro, a new smartphone it's calling "the fastest mainline Linux smartphone on the market." The phone was announced in October, and you can now secure a unit. The MSRP is $599, but it's up for preorder now at an introductory price of $399.

I stand by my original assessment in that I don't see a linux based phone (aside from android) gaining any traction, and remining only a niche hobbyist product

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It is funny how everyone has focused on my mention of ChromeOS. No one has even thought about the context of why I even brought it up and let me say this again I never recommend ChromeOS OR Linux because neither would be a good replacement for an average Apple user invested in the Apple ecosystem.

If you wanted to avoid the supposed CSAM threat by Apple the closest OS that doesn’t scan for CSAM is ChromeOS. That doesn’t mean that I recommend it. I don’t. I recommend MacOS and iOS for privacy and security and I can lock down and find work around that don’t involve me throwing my entire system/software ecosystem out the door for Linux and Pinephone which are not going to just work or even be slightly compatible with what those users are used to.

But go ahead and distort what I said and focus on something I never recommended. If you really read my posts the entire point breaks down into if you are online you don’t really have privacy no matter what you think. So this entire idea in my opinion is a fools errand. Just lock down whatever system you use as best you can and enjoy it. Whatever it is!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
From the Pinephone website,

If you depend on proprietary mainstream mobile messenger applications, banking applications, use loyalty or travel apps, consume DRM media, or play mobile video games on your fruit or Android smartphone, then the PinePhone Pro is likely not for you.

Now I really would LOVE for true Linux based phones like Pinephone to succeed and I will probably buy one at some point but for most average users it isn’t ready for them.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I stand by my original assessment in that I don't see a linux based phone (aside from android) gaining any traction, and remining only a niche hobbyist product
I agree it's likely to be a niche product. But I do think it could be more than a hobbyist product--eventually. Just like there are people who run, say, Ubuntu on the desktop who aren't hobbyists. There are some potential Linux phone selling points, such as privacy.

I could pontentially see myself a Linux phone user. At this point, I can't see a phone ever being more than a secondary device. And I'd rather have a device that won't be spying on me than the ability to run the latest hot app.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
From the Pinephone website,

If you depend on proprietary mainstream mobile messenger applications, banking applications, use loyalty or travel apps, consume DRM media, or play mobile video games on your fruit or Android smartphone, then the PinePhone Pro is likely not for you.

Now I really would LOVE for true Linux based phones like Pinephone to succeed and I will probably buy one at some point but for most average users it isn’t ready for them.

And the last I'd heard, there were issues with the phones doing basic phone things, like making calls. I've noted, in fact, that a lot of privacy minded people keep saying: Linux phones are promising...but it's just not viable, yet. (Of course, this is one of those "mileage varies" deals.)

But realistically, past this, the inability to run a lot of apps will be a huge limiting factor. There are people, like me, who wouldn't care that much. As I said above, at this point, I have no interest in a phone as more than a secondary device, and I value privacy. But the vast majority of users would care about app limitations if nothing else. Indeed, I'm surprised by the fixation on apps--someone I know needed to do something one time. It could be done by web browser, easily, but she said: I'll download the app!!!! Really? For a one time use?

Real world app compatibility is also an issue with deGoogled Android phones from what I hear. I remember reading of at least one person who'd used deGoogled phone...but it got so frustrating that it was replaced with an iPhone.

Reactions: crymimefireworks

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
From what I hear, that's even a challenge on the iPhone 13. I've yet to have a smartphone do voice calls better than my old Motorola flip phone. It's getting to the point where iPhone should be renamed to iPad nano.

This is not the first time I've heard some comment that a smart phone is worse than an old flip phone as a phone! (And meanwhile, I'm sure that an argument can be made for a Western Electric landline phone over a cell phone!) At least some people don't apparently don't care--I've also heard a lot of people comment: I use my phone all the time, but I can't remember when I last made a call...if ever!

The interesting problem with Linux phones, though, is that the last I heard they might not work at all--particularly here in the US. I'm not sure about the exact situation--I just hear the rumbles of "not ready for real use, because it won't work!"--but it sounds like a combination of where the software is at, coupled with the available cell phone networks. I believe I've heard of some Ubuntu Touch phone situations where the phone worked nicely at one time--and then stopped working, because of the carrier.

There's so many tasks that still just don't work on the phone. It's why I can't go without a laptop.

And so many more tasks will work on the phone--but work much better on a computer.

Apps on De-Googled phones wouldn't be an issue if they didn't farm out so much dependency to Google Play Services. I have some apps on that complain constantly about the lack of Play Services on my Motorola Photon, but they run just fine. Older versions of the same apps run without complaint and maintain full functionality. Others are capable of running, but won't simply because the service is missing.

I think I've heard of other issues, too--but the Play Services are a big factor. They can be replaced by (IIRC) Micro G, which will work at least part of the time. Some apps (like some banking apps), however, have to have an official Google Android setup.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
From what I hear, that's even a challenge on the iPhone 13. I've yet to have a smartphone do voice calls better than my old Motorola flip phone. It's getting to the point where iPhone should be renamed to iPad nano.
I am reading that the iPhone 13 no longer have noise cancellations for phone calls (which has been standard since, I don't know, forever?). Obviously that will ruin call quality. I wonder if Apple cheapened out on this to make people buy Airpods?

It's really poor taste by Apple imo, for a phone that cost $1000 (that's the price of the base iPhone 13 in my country).

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Somehow, especially after double-securing my phone with in-built Knox as well as Norton Lifelock notifying me of any bad thing that happens, having security vault for photos, required PIN for any 'sensitive app', I feel more like whatever happens on my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE stays on my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE. I have more peace of mind with my setup than when I was a born-again Apple fan a couple of years ago. I run Linux in full skeuo clothing as well on both laptops and one gaming PC, which dual boots Windows 11 but I've removed the wifi/ethernet card and use it offline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.