Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil tiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
My new mac should be arriving on monday(tommorow) and while I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrivial, i am preparing to transfer my files over.

Will I be able to save my folder (which contains my pictures, videos, text files etc) + my favourites list, and my itunes music library onto the hard disk mode of my ipod and just easily switch it over? I have been reading up on it, but some of the stuff I've read contradicts the other ones. It's the favourites I'm especially thinking may not work.. does anyone know?

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Transferring your pictures, videos and text files should be fine, but I dont know about your favorites lis though since safari uses different bookmark exports than IE, if you are using firefox though it should be fine

lil tiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
k, thank you! So what if I just copied the favourites, kept them in my folder.. if I clicked on them would they open, so I could resave them? I have quite a lot, So I hope there is an easy solution..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
lil tiger said:
k, thank you! So what if I just copied the favourites, kept them in my folder.. if I clicked on them would they open, so I could resave them? I have quite a lot, So I hope there is an easy solution..
I do believe you can export your favorites in Internet Explorer to an HTML file that Safari can import. It might take some time to get your orgranize your folders and bookmaark but they'll be there.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
lil tiger said:
thank you Eidorian! Do you know how I would go about doing that?
In Internet Explorer.

File > Import and Export

Pick Export Favorites and when it asks you what folders just keep the selection on all of your Favorites.

nate

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When I've had to transfer stuff from a Windows computer, I just grabbed patch cord and connected the PC and Mac; I know that my Mac will see the XP computer and you can then grab stuff off and transfer it. I think you just need to turn sharing on (on both XP and OS X).

This also works with other Mac computers, of course. When I got my iMac G5 I got my files off my powerbook just by turning sharing on and hooking up a patch cord.

I think that this way is much faster than burning a CD or DVD, or using an iPod to transfer files. And I don't know why you'd need 3rd party software, but I guess it would make things more automatic, instead of having to actually turn sharing on and then drag and drop folders and files.

Good luck,

--nate

lil tiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
what's a patch cord? I'm fairly sure we don't have one, so i'll likely stick with the ipod option. I can't see it taking that long would it? probably like 45 min max is my guess..

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
lil tiger said:
what's a patch cord? I'm fairly sure we don't have one, so i'll likely stick with the ipod option. I can't see it taking that long would it? probably like 45 min max is my guess..

I think Nate is referring to plugging in an ethernet cable to directly conntect your PC to your new Mac, then opening your PC folders on the mac and dragging and dropping into Mac folders.

From one of the links that Mitt. provided:

"Direct ethernet connection

If you have both computers in the same location, you may be able to use an Ethernet cable to connect both computers together and copy files between them. You may need an Ethernet crossover cable depending on which model Macintosh you own. See below the related document "Macintosh: Computers That Require an Ethernet Crossover Cable" to see if you will need an Ethernet crossover cable. This method has the advantage of being fast and being able to transfer any amount of data."

Congratulations on your new Mac!

lil tiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, unless they give me one of those with the powerbook, we don't have one.

thanks for the info!

and thank you! :D I'm extremely excited!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
lil tiger said:
Yeah, unless they give me one of those with the powerbook, we don't have one.

thanks for the info!

and thank you! :D I'm extremely excited!

If you want to try that route, you can buy a cable at any Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc. Here's a 7' example:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...10051&langId=-1&productId=86947&cmArea=SEARCH

Also - do you have a cable modem - if so, there's likely an ethernet cable connecting the modem to your computer. You can just use that cable to facilitate the transfer. Good luck with the file transfers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.