Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Can anyone give me any advice on switching from AT&T after 7 years to T-Mobile?
I can get a iPhone SE for $200 and the T-Mobile Magenta plan comes with unlimited local plan + free international data and text included (2g).

I'm thinking of doing it as I need a new iPhone to replace my iPhone 6s plus and don't want to pay for the AT&T international plan which is $70/30days.

Any thoughts or opinions on switching, pros/cons.

Should I do it?

Reactions: jpn

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I switched from AT & T to T-Mobile in 2018. Couple of thoughts for you:

Check the coverage in your area. Arguably the only major draw back to T-mobile is it is behind Verizon (and AT & T depending where you are) in terms of coverage.

I am on the Magenta Veterans plan and I don’t plan to switch anytime soon. We used our overseers minutes while in Spain and had no issues.

The number one draw for me is price tag and customer service. I can’t tell you how many times T-mobile has waived a fee or gone out of their way for me someway or another.

I’d say your making the right decision.

Reactions: gotong and jpn

dooku77

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
I dumped AT&T when my bill created at almost 241.00 for 2 lines and 2 phone installments. I tried like crazy to get anyone to explain to me why my bill was never the same from month to month and no one could. After that failure of customer service, they always tried to up sell me Directv and further enrage me. Best thing I ever did was switch to T-Mobile military plan. Taxes and fees included, t-mobile Tuesday’s, reps in my part of the country and they don’t start to throttle until you reach 50gb of data. The only the thing I dislike is the crazy down payments they require even with excellent credit for devices most of their deals are for new customers only.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I switched from AT & T to T-Mobile in 2018. Couple of thoughts for you:

Check the coverage in your area. Arguably the only major draw back to T-mobile is it is behind Verizon (and AT & T depending where you are) in terms of coverage.

I am on the Magenta Veterans plan and I don’t plan to switch anytime soon. We used our overseers minutes while in Spain and had no issues.

The number one draw for me is price tag and customer service. I can’t tell you how many times T-mobile has waived a fee or gone out of their way for me someway or another.

I’d say your making the right decision.
I'm pretty sure they cover San Francisco, were I live.
[automerge]1591148832[/automerge]
I dumped AT&T when my bill created at almost 241.00 for 2 lines and 2 phone installments. I tried like crazy to get anyone to explain to me why my bill was never the same from month to month and no one could. After that failure of customer service, they always tried to up sell me Directv and further enrage me. Best thing I ever did was switch to T-Mobile military plan. Taxes and fees included, t-mobile Tuesday’s, reps in my part of the country and they don’t start to throttle until you reach 50gb of data. The only the thing I dislike is the crazy down payments they require even with excellent credit for devices most of their deals are for new customers only.
I'm liking what I hear...
The only concern I think I have is using talk and web simultaneously. Which ATT has and from what I now read T-Mobile does too?

dooku77

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
[automerge]1591148832[/automerge]

I'm liking what I hear...
The only concern I think I have is using talk and web simultaneously. Which ATT has and from what I now read T-Mobile does too?

Yes you can. Sprint couldn’t do it for a while.

Reactions: gotong

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Using TMO internationally, you may want to check coverage and usage limitations (percent used outside of the US).
I just did a quick check on their website and typed in different countries, it seems like they cover all major countries that I travel to without any out of coverage charges. Europe mostly..

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I just did a quick check on their website and types in different countries, it seems like they cover all major countries that I travel to without any out of coverage charges. Europe mostly..
Great, I have seen carriers limit the time (percentage) of 50 percent usage outside the home country. Then they cut you off.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Great, I have seen carriers limit the time (percentage) of 50 percent usage outside the home country. Then they cut you off.
I really just need to get incoming phone calls and text messages. I can even forward my phone calls to Google Voice to avoid the T-Mobile $.025/min fee for voicemails received. Then call clients back using Google Voice over data or WiFi.
I can then get a eSim data plan now for faster data speeds if needed for a fairly cheap price.
If I wanted to get ATT calls/text then I would have to pay for a International plan @ $70/30days or $10/day. :(

Ultimately switching to T-Mobile will save me $70/30day international plan x N times per year.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I switched a couple years ago. I find the LTE data to be faster on T-Mobile. The coverage in my area has been great. All the carriers have slightly different coverage though.

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
If you mostly spend your time in SF and you have good reception with T-Mobile then no problem. You just don't want to save 70 bucks a year and have drop calls IN SF.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

In certain parts of the SF Bay area I get a rather poor T-Mobile signal. But don't actually care as I use it mostly overseas. Even had a signal in Antartica! Just be sure you have a return option if you find that you don't get signal in the places that you want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.