Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crash Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Austin, Texas
I was considering finally giving up my grandfathered unlimited plan and switching to the newer AT&T Unlimited Plus. But the comparison feature on my account shows I'd pay MORE.

Is that what I should expect?

AT&T.png

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Be very wary of taxes, fees and other carrier imposed fees. No one at AT&T (or any other carrier) will tell you ahead of time what these will be. They claim that you will only know once you get your first bill and by then, it may be too late to switch back to your old plan as its no longer offered.

Reactions: WSPAN1C

Crash Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Austin, Texas
Be very wary of taxes, fees and other carrier imposed fees. No one at AT&T (or any other carrier) will tell you ahead of time what these will be. They claim that you will only know once you get your first bill and by then, it may be too late to switch back to your old plan as its no longer offered.

Ha, so it's even worse than it looks? Because it already looks terrible.
[doublepost=1516202846][/doublepost]
Why are you wanting to switch?

I expected to save money on the new plan. Guess I was crazy. I also wanted to take advantage of discounts on DTV Now and HBO. But it's not much of a deal if my phone plan increases $15-20 for the same service.

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Ha, so it's even worse than it looks? Because it already looks terrible.
[doublepost=1516202846][/doublepost]

I expected to save money on the new plan. Guess I was crazy. I also wanted to take advantage of discounts on DTV Now and HBO. But it's not much of a deal if my phone plan increases $15-20 for the same service.
I believe it's $25 off DirecTV, correct? And free HBO. So you may still save money, you'll just have to break out the calculator. I'm sure you have taxes and fees already on your current plan so that shouldn't change much. For the record, I'm on the Unlimited Plus plan and my taxes and fees add up to $6.80 per line, but that will vary based on your location.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
T-mobile includes the fees in their pricing so if the plan costs $60 it will be $60

Crash Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Austin, Texas
I believe it's $25 off DirecTV, correct? And free HBO. So you may still save money, you'll just have to break out the calculator. I'm sure you have taxes and fees already on your current plan so that shouldn't change much. For the record, I'm on the Unlimited Plus plan and my taxes and fees add up to $6.80 per line, but that will vary based on your location.

I think the discount is only $15 now. So it would be pretty close, but I don't see any real savings.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I was considering finally giving up my grandfathered unlimited plan and switching to the newer AT&T Unlimited Plus. But the comparison feature on my account shows I'd pay MORE.

Is that what I should expect?

I recently gave up my Grandfathered UDP as well and it's saving me about $200 a month for my family of 5 as my teens were constantly running overages on their non-unlimited data plans. Thoughts for you:

1. You can save $10 a month on Unlimited Plus by setting up automatic billing.

2. If you travel internationally, the International Day Pass is a huge win as it's $10 per day for unlimited voice, text, and data- I've streamed entire NFL games for 3+ hours on a train in China without a care in the world about overages.

3. Tethering tethering tethering. I use this feature so much its ridiculous, the AT&T LTE is faster than my in home wi-fi and when I'm on the road in hotels I never have to worry about slow speeds or room charges.

4. ATT Loyalty Retention discount. I received 2 iPhone X's for the price of 1 when I told them the plan I was in was expensive and threatened to move to another carrier. Making the switch to Unlimited Plus will get you this offer if you speak to their Loyalty department (must be through Loyalty department).

5. Peace of mind. No more worrying every time a new iPhone comes out that ATT is going to nuke the plan.

To me, that's worth the $5 delta in price right there. And if you have kids or an elder in the family, you can add them to the plan for a flat $20 a month and save them some major coin too.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Ok but he’s not asking about T-Mobile. He said at&t
I think he was correcting the part of post #2 that says "No one at AT&T (or any other carrier) will tell you ahead of time what these will be".
[doublepost=1516213086][/doublepost]
Your phone bill would go up $5/month (if you setup AutoPay to a debit card or with a check, which gives you a $10 discount on the new plan). So you're talking $145/month (new plan) vs $140/month (old plan).

The new plan would lower your DTV bill by $15/month, and the free HBO should be worth at least $10/month.

So your phone bill goes up $5/month but you get $25/month in TV discounts...

That sounds like a $20 net savings for you. Plus you get tethering and the other features @boltjames mentioned above.

Last edited:

Crash Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Austin, Texas
I think he was correcting the part of post #2 that says "No one at AT&T (or any other carrier) will tell you ahead of time what these will be".
[doublepost=1516213086][/doublepost]
Your phone bill would go up $5/month (if you setup AutoPay to a debit card or with a check, which gives you a $10 discount on the new plan). So you're talking $145/month (new plan) vs $140/month (old plan).

The new plan would lower your DTV bill by $15/month, and the free HBO should be worth at least $10/month.

So your phone bill goes up $5/month but you get $25/month in TV discounts...

That sounds like a $20 net savings for you. Plus you get tethering and the other features @boltjames mentioned above.

So the $155 estimate doesn't include autopay? Because my current plan that they are comparing it to is on autopay.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I just switched. We had two lines with grandfathered unlimited data that we'd kept through numerous upgrades and one line with a no-data feature phone my mom uses. Switching will save us only about $10 over what we're paying now, but we did it for the following reasons:

1. Personal Hotspot/Tethering
2. Unlimited Texting (we were still on pay-per-message, and occasionally getting burned).
3. Unlimited texting and data for my mom.
4. $15 credit on DirectTV Now.
5. The ability to add our kids for $20/ea. when they're older.
6. Not having to worry about the plan disappearing at any moment.

Free HBO for life was an added bonus.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I just switched. We had two lines with grandfathered unlimited data that we'd kept through numerous upgrades and one line with a no-data feature phone my mom uses. Switching will save us only about $10 over what we're paying now, but we did it for the following reasons:

1. Personal Hotspot/Tethering
2. Unlimited Texting (we were still on pay-per-message, and occasionally getting burned).
3. Unlimited texting and data for my mom.
4. $15 credit on DirectTV Now.
5. The ability to add our kids for $20/ea. when they're older.
6. Not having to worry about the plan disappearing at any moment.

Free HBO for life was an added bonus.

I was a recent grandfather-cutter too, congrats. #1 and #6 put me over the top.

Set yourself up for autopay and save another $10 a month.

Crash Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Austin, Texas
So I signed up for AT&T Unlimited Plus last week and it says my plan price is $155. I was already on autopay on my previous plan so I assume that will go down to $145.

The site showed me a MySummary page that said my upcoming bill is $179.80 with a -0.37 proration and the ongoing monthly bill is $180.17. It didn't itemize so I'm not sure what to make of that. I hope those aren't the actual prices going forward because my previous grandfathered plan was a total of $160.60 from a plan price of $139.99. So I was expecting a new total bill of $5 more.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I made that mistake I had grand father 4 line unlimited and paid $30 for unlimited SMS and 700 minus calls, I called ATT and they promised that the 4 line unlimited will not share they lied, it yes it sharing and no one will tell other way its say in your bill 4 line unlimited sharing and I lost the 20% discount that I had.
dont do it keep what you have

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Carefully read the fine print. If it's the same plan I considered, there is a serious throttling of data once you reach a fairly low threshold. I can see that it would be useful for a large family, with some of the incentives offered, but just be aware..........

Reactions: cygnusjen

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Carefully read the fine print. If it's the same plan I considered, there is a serious throttling of data once you reach a fairly low threshold. I can see that it would be useful for a large family, with some of the incentives offered, but just be aware..........

Yes it will not help the say something and do what ever they want don't trust them

shirleypimple

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
So I signed up for AT&T Unlimited Plus last week and it says my plan price is $155. I was already on autopay on my previous plan so I assume that will go down to $145.

The site showed me a MySummary page that said my upcoming bill is $179.80 with a -0.37 proration and the ongoing monthly bill is $180.17. It didn't itemize so I'm not sure what to make of that. I hope those aren't the actual prices going forward because my previous grandfathered plan was a total of $160.60 from a plan price of $139.99. So I was expecting a new total bill of $5 more.

Please keep up with this post in the next couple of months and let us know how the bill changes. I'm still reluctant to change to a new plan from my original grandfathered unlimited plan. One question - Did they charge you a device activation fee when you switched to the Unlimited Plus plan?

BearBert

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Funny thing is the AT&T Unlimited Plus is now a grandfathered plan as well, since new plans were released today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.