Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I'm rocking my iPhone 4 on an unlimited data plan on Verizon. Once the 5s was announced, I did some digging and learned I'd lose my unlimited data with an upgrade (lame). I understand the tricks to keep unlimited data, but frankly I don't have the money to buy a new phone at cost or to add a second dummy line. So then I started investigating alternatives that would potentially save me some money in my monthly bill and get me an upgrade. Chatted online with a Verizon rep the other day who mentioned they have a plan for customers switching out of unlimited data that consists of unlimited talk and text and 6gb of data for $70/month. Went into my local store and they have no idea what I'm talking about, chatted with another online rep who claims this plan isn't a thing. Now I'm frustrated. Two questions:
1. Has anyone heard of this unlimited talk/text +6gb of data for $70/mont?
2. Does anyone know of any alternatives for those of us with unlimited data? I'm not a power user, have only gone over 4gb once in the past 6 months but their tiered plans are crazy expensive vs. the competition. I'm considering moving carriers, but I live in Eastern North Carolina and no one else provides comparable coverage. Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Use a credit card and pay $100 a month until it's paid off in around 7 months.

Personally, I think unlimited data is worth keeping, however, if you check your data usage and it's under what the current plans offer (which you say it is -- and you don't plan to change your usage) then maybe it's no big deal.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Use a credit card and pay $100 a month until it's paid off in around 7 months.

Personally, I think unlimited data is worth keeping, however, if you check your data usage and it's under what the current plans offer (which you say it is -- and you don't plan to change your usage) then maybe it's no big deal.

Keep in mind, usage can change, going from a 3G to a 4G device, so even if they're within "decent" limits now, it could change after going to the 5s.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Never heard of the plan. The 2 GB share everything plan is more expensive than my current unlimited data plan. So I will continue to pay full price. I'm in the same boat with no other decent provider near me, but that will likely change in the next year for both of us as t mobile and at&t expand. I got the 5s as it is the first iphone that will work on those carriers LTE bands, in addition to Verizon. So when T mobile gets here I can jump ship with no etf and without having to get a new phone. If you can get a 7GB plan and talk/text for $70 and you dont use a lot of data, then go for it, as that is not a bad deal.

----------

I believe you are referring to the Verizon Max plan that they are doing as an incentive for unlimited data customers to get onto the tiered data plans.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/26/verizon-max-plan-goes-live/

Thats not a good deal. Basically the same cost as unlimited but only 6 GB of data. You still have to shell out for a new phone. Guess I dont see the advantage of switching.

mbmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I believe you are referring to the Verizon Max plan that they are doing as an incentive for unlimited data customers to get onto the tiered data plans.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/26/verizon-max-plan-goes-live/

I think that is what I am referring to as well. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my options are buy a new phone at full cost, switch from unlimited to 6gb and gain the ability to do a subsidized upgrade (and pay less for more), or look into moving carriers. I'm interested in T-Mobile, unfortunately they do not yet offer 4g in my area and I do not get a discount with them brought my work, but I do through Verizon, ATT and Sprint. Maybe if I threaten Verizon with switching they'll make a deal with me...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think that is what I am referring to as well. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my options are buy a new phone at full cost, switch from unlimited to 6gb and gain the ability to do a subsidized upgrade (and pay less for more), or look into moving carriers. I'm interested in T-Mobile, unfortunately they do not yet offer 4g in my area and I do not get a discount with them brought my work, but I do through Verizon, ATT and Sprint. Maybe if I threaten Verizon with switching they'll make a deal with me...

Wouldn't adding the dummy line be cheaper, in the long run, than buying full retail? It would translate to $10 a month, or $240 over the two years...

mbmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I'd do whatever you can do to keep the Verizon Unlimited.

I understand that thought. Initially when the 5s was announced I started investigating ways to save on my monthly bill, even if it was as little as $10/month and to get a new phone. Now realizing I have a pretty fantastic deal (450 mins/1000 texts/unlimited data for $70/month bc of a work discount). I think what I'm really getting at is that I hate wireless carriers and how much they charge.

mbmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Yes I totally agree. It will be worth it. I think Best Buy offers no interest financing for 18 months if you pay it off in that time if you use their credit card.

This looks like a good idea, however I really hate using credit cards and I am already working to pay off a balance on a card right now. Again, thanks for all the suggestions, but looks like I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 for a while longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.