Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
eva01 said:
i personally believe he needs either last gen or this gen eMac
There are people claiming that they do professional video editing on their TiBooks and even on their G3's :eek:
I think, that eMac can do the editing very well. There will be lots of thinking pauses, and coffee/cigarette breaks when you push it harder :rolleyes: but that's the price of being on a tight budget.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
crazysaxchris said:
is 800 mhz to slow?
How long is a piece of string?

Thing is, other than a few high end programs which have high minimum CPU/OS requirements, any mac will run any Mac OS program. So it's a matter of degree - the job will get done, whether it is fast 'enough' depends on your own expectations and how big the job is.

The machine will be fast enough (given a RAM Upgrade, and potentially an extra Firewire hard drive) for casual movie editing in iMovie.

If you have a large project, or want to do professional work, or want to use FinalCut, the answer may be different.

The price is decent for the machine for what it is.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
Processer or Hard Drive

Well I'm not sure what do these few days.

I could get a EMAC with a 1mhz processer with 40 gb.

Or an emac with 80 gb but only 700 mhz.

I think I would get the one with 1 mhz processer then I wouldn't have to hunt around for a regular airport card

THANKS YALL

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The decision would depend on cost and how much you can afford. You should get and external HD anyway for backup, that would help if you needed additional storage. Also having 1 GB of RAM will boost performance. AppleCare is important also.

ThatSoundAgain

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
wdlove said:
The decision would depend on cost and how much you can afford. You should get and external HD anyway for backup, that would help if you needed additional storage. Also having 1 GB of RAM will boost performance. AppleCare is important also.

Seconded. The HD space can easily be upgraded with an external box later, not so with the processor.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you can upgrade a HDD easier than a proc. so go with the 1GHz processor, get yourself an external when you can, and more ram and you will be good to go.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I've done a significant amount of professional video editing on an old G4 500Mhz. If you have enough HD space and enough ram, I don't see any issues.

I ran Final Cut Pro 3 on that machine w/o issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.