Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suncountry

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I purchased a iPhone 13 Mini a week ago and still not completely sure I made the right choice. I won't be returning it because it is the exact phone my daughter wants for Christmas. So my question is on SIMs.

How do I handle buying the iPhone 13 and possibly replacing with another 13 mini (if I decided the 13 wasn't what I wanted)? Do I just get a new SIM with each purchase at the Apple store or can the SIM be switched between phones? Also can SIM from daughter's SE (original) be moved to my old Mini? I would like to avoid a trip to the ATT store if I can avoid it.

TX!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just swap SIMS from one phone to the other. Connection is instant.
If you’ve got two functional SIMS and two phones, you don’t need any more SIM cards.

suncountry

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
Just swap SIMS from one phone to the other. Connection is instant.
If you’ve got two functional SIMS and two phones, you don’t need any more SIM cards.
Can you have more than one active SIM for one phone number? When the Apple store activated the Mini, they deactivated cell service for my iPhone 8+.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Switching SIMs between iPhone 13 models should be fine, but if you move an older SIM into an iPhone 13, you will not have 5G on the iPhone 13. I ran into that moving my iPhone 11 SIM into my iPhone 13. Wound up having to activate the SIM that came with the 13.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can you have more than one active SIM for one phone number? When the Apple store activated the Mini, they deactivated cell service for my iPhone 8+.
Apple likely activated your AT&T service through an eSIM. If you order a new phone, you enter your account information and when you activate the new phone, your AT&T service will automatically transfer to the new one. Otherwise, you can transfer the eSIM within the Cellular settings of the new phone.

suncountry

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
Still not completely sure how to move forward. My iPhone 13 is coming tomorrow and I assume my cell service will switch to it once I set it up. If I decide to return it, what is the best way to reactivate my iPhone Mini with my cell service? Thank you!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Still not completely sure how to move forward. My iPhone 13 is coming tomorrow and I assume my cell service will switch to it once I set it up. If I decide to return it, what is the best way to reactivate my iPhone Mini with my cell service? Thank you!
If you want to move back to your Mini, just move the SIM back.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The 13's are utilizing eSIM, so if they end up returning the 13, they'd have to do a SIM swap either by calling AT&T or there should be a tool online when you're logged into your account to input the eSIM from your 13 Mini and it should take a minute or so for change to take effect.

Reactions: suncountry

suncountry

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
The 13's are utilizing eSIM, so if they end up returning the 13, they'd have to do a SIM swap either by calling AT&T or there should be a tool online when you're logged into your account to input the eSIM from your 13 Mini and it should take a minute or so for change to take effect.
yea.. I don't think either phone has a physical SIM. Will look to find the tool online.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
yea.. I don't think either phone has a physical SIM. Will look to find the tool online.
I originally preordered and got a launch day AT&T Pro Max through Apple. I returned it and rebought unlocked. When I activated my launch day phone, it of course came with an ESIM which deactivated my old physical one. When I returned it for an issue and bought unlocked, I just stopped in the AT&T store which happened to be right next to Apple in my mall and asked for a phyiscal sim to be activated under my number. For me at least (and maybe I am old school), I upgrade every year and just am used to popping the old sim in rather than dealing with ESIM transfers. I always know my physical one is activate so really nothing to it.

Reactions: suncountry

suncountry

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I originally preordered and got a launch day AT&T Pro Max through Apple. I returned it and rebought unlocked. When I activated my launch day phone, it of course came with an ESIM which deactivated my old physical one. When I returned it for an issue and bought unlocked, I just stopped in the AT&T store which happened to be right next to Apple in my mall and asked for a phyiscal sim to be activated under my number. For me at least (and maybe I am old school), I upgrade every year and just am used to popping the old sim in rather than dealing with ESIM transfers. I always know my physical one is activate so really nothing to it.
Do you happen to know if the physical sim will override the E-sim of a different number? Going to give 13 mini to my daughter and think her SE sim will work in it for now. I don't want it wiping out my 13 phone and number. Planning to switch all our phones to Verizon in the coming week or so.

I now have both 13 and 13 mini unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.