Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
I have a 14 Pro with an activated eSIM with AT&T, but I sometimes like to switch to my SE2 just for a different feel (Touch ID, small size, etc) for a few weeks and then go back to the 14 Pro. With my 12 Pro I would just swap out my physical SIM card and I was good to go. What do I have to do now?

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
I have a 14 Pro with an activated eSIM with AT&T, but I sometimes like to switch to my SE2 just for a different feel (Touch ID, small size, etc) for a few weeks and then go back to the 14 Pro. With my 12 Pro I would just swap out my physical SIM card and I was good to go. What do I have to do now?
It can be done from iPhone to iPhone. Go to settings; cellular; and you can set up a new eSIM from there.

I like to switch phones between iPhone and Android. I have not found a way to switch without contacting AT&T, which is always an adventure and a pain in the rear. I hate it!

• Angry
Reactions: Dopestar

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
It can be done from iPhone to iPhone. Go to settings; cellular; and you can set up a new eSIM from there.

I like to switch phones between iPhone and Android. I have not found a way to switch without contacting AT&T, which is always an adventure and a pain in the rear. I hate it!

Thank you. And I can do this from iPhone to iPhone as much as I want, back and forth with no problem?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I never had issues transfering my esim from one iphone to another iphone and I'm currently on Verizon. I'm also able to do it back and forth multiple times without issues. There was one instance when i couldn't, but a simple fix for that was for me to log into my Verizon account and activate esim that way with no issues. I can't speak for AT&T.

Reactions: gotong

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI

1) Log into your AT&T account on their website.
2) Go to your main account page.
3) Scroll down to the "My devices" section.
4) Click on "Manage Device" under the phone that currently is using the eSIM.
5) On the My Device page, scroll down to "Options and Settings" section
6) Click on "Manage Your SIM"
7) A menu will slide down, Click on "Switch Devices"
8) On the next page, enter the IMEI number of the phone you want to transfer your eSIM to and click Continue.

System usually takes about 1-3 minutes to transfer in my experience. I've transferred eSIM between my Samsung Z Fold 4 and my 14 Pro Max about 4 times now in the last few months.

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
8) On the next page, enter the IMEI number of the phone you want to transfer your eSIM to and click Continue.

System usually takes about 1-3 minutes to transfer in my experience. I've transferred eSIM between my Samsung Z Fold 4 and my 14 Pro Max about 4 times now in the last few months.
Thanks, but I do not have "Manage Your SIM" as an option on that page. It is an option under my wife and son's phones, but not for my phone. Odd.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Not on your network (T-mobile) but the process is the same. I had a 13 mini for a little while and switched back and forth between a pro model and that during the 2 week return policy. The first few times were fine swapping the eSim - then I ran into some issues.

I was basically swapping it out a handful of times within the return period and the phone number transferred fine but the iMessage activation got a little jumbled when I did it twice in a day. Don't think it had something to do with the carrier but more so Apple (this could have been a glitch that may have been fixed by now) but basically you're stuck waiting 24 hours for iMessage to activate (can still text, they'll just be green). Called the carrier as well as Apple because I thought something went wrong but both Apple support and carrier support said there's nothing they can do, just have to wait.

Not the worst situation to be in. But if it happens to you don't panic - just have to wait for it to activate within that 24 hour window. Think it was more of a safety precaution on Apple's behalf because I imagine it was flagged as unusual.

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010

I contacted AT&T. "Manage Your SIM" only works for moving between eSIMs. I have used a physical SIM for the S22. They are sending me a QR Code for the Samsung phone and I will supposedly be able to move back and forth between it and my iPhone 14 Plus. Thanks.

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
I contacted AT&T. "Manage Your SIM" only works for moving between eSIMs. I have used a physical SIM for the S22. They are sending me a QR Code for the Samsung phone and I will supposedly be able to move back and forth between it and my iPhone 14 Plus. Thanks.
ahhh, makes sense. I converted my physical sim to esim on my 13 pro max right before the 14 pro max got here so that I was ready for it. Did AT&T charge you for the QR code? Also I have heard of the codes only working one time and you have to get a new one every time you want to transfer the sim. But maybe they figured that out?

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
ahhh, makes sense. I converted my physical sim to esim on my 13 pro max right before the 14 pro max got here so that I was ready for it. Did AT&T charge you for the QR code? Also I have heard of the codes only working one time and you have to get a new one every time you want to transfer the sim. But maybe they figured that out?
They did not charge me. I will have to see how it works. They said I would be able to go back and forth between the S22 and the iPhone.

Reactions: Burgess07

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA

I am curious to know if you have an Apple Watch as well and if you do what happens when you switch to the fold? Do you still get calls and text messages?​

Jeffrey67

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023

Thank you so much for this, you’re a lifesaver!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.