Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I just ordered my macbook, there are some questions I have.

1. Will my ipod (currently using with my PC) sync with my macbook just the same or will I have to restore it?

2. Will i be able to use my external hard drive to move files over from my pc to my mac?

3. How do I move my purchased songs from itunes over to the mac?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
evanrousso said:
I just ordered my macbook, there are some questions I have.

1. Will my ipod (currently using with my PC) sync with my macbook just the same or will I have to restore it?

2. Will i be able to use my external hard drive to move files over from my pc to my mac?

3. How do I move my purchased songs from itunes over to the mac?

1. You may have to reformat it for use with the Mac, it used to be that way but im not sure if its still needed.

2. Yes

3. Just copy them over to the music folder in your user home directory. Make sure to authorize the new Mac

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1. If you have iTunes 7 on your PC and MacBook, and you authorize the iPod in someway for multisyncing, then yes.

2. Yes.

3. When transferred and imported into your iTunes library on the MacBook, you just need to authorize your MacBook to play songs purchased via your account. Just type in your iTunes account's password when you try to play one of the songs, and everything will be fine.;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I had a friend call me last night about her ipod being PC formatted and using it on her new mac. It works ok until you need/want to upgrade the ipod software. Then you need to reformat it (losing all info on ipod) so it can install the mac ipod software.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
stuartluff said:
I had a friend call me last night about her ipod being PC formatted and using it on her new mac. It works ok until you need/want to upgrade the ipod software. Then you need to reformat it (losing all info on ipod) so it can install the mac ipod software.

Just went through this with my Shuffle. Took 20 seconds though.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.