Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Hi there! I have a question for anyone who has 2 cell phones.

I have a 13 pro and got a great deal on a slightly used se 2022 on Facebook marketplace. My original intention was for this to be for my mother but she does not want the phone. Obviously this isn’t something I can return and would have to try to resell. I am now wondering if I should just keep it as a backup phone/media player.

I’ve taken up hiking and would like to take the se with me instead of my 13 pro in case something happens to it. I’m quite clumsy. Is it possible to just switch the sim between the 2 iPhones? And on a semi regular basis? I have Verizon wireless.

When I switch will my phone number automatically go to whichever has the sim in it? Like calls will automatically start coming through that one? They will both be connected to the same Apple ID. Also would there be any issues with Verizon like fees or anything?

Anyone that has 2 iPhones have any advice or input? Thank you!

Reactions: Reggaenald

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have an iPhone SE2022 and an iPhone 11 and can switch the sim between them on AT&T with no fees (that I’m aware of so far). I keep both phones updated and set up the same. The only issue is that I have to unpair my Apple Watch from the one I’m not using and pair it with the one I am using. I’m not sure how Verizon handles fees for this sort of thing.

I don’t switch often. At home on Wi-Fi I can receive and make calls on the phone without the sim in it. iMessages come through on both. So I use the smaller phone with the sim in it and with the Apple Watch because it’s easier to carry around in the spring. I’m also clumsy and want it for a hiking phone.

I prefer to use larger phones at home.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I have an iPhone SE2022 and an iPhone 11 and can switch the sim between them on AT&T with no fees (that I’m aware of so far). I keep both phones updated and set up the same. The only issue is that I have to unpair my Apple Watch from the one I’m not using and pair it with the one I am using. I’m not sure how Verizon handles fees for this sort of thing.

I don’t switch often. At home on Wi-Fi I can receive and make calls on the phone without the sim in it. iMessages come through on both. So I use the smaller phone with the sim in it and with the Apple Watch because it’s easier to carry around in the spring. I’m also clumsy and want it for a hiking phone.

I prefer to use larger phones at home.
Has the SE 2022 caused you any eye strain or headaches?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi there! I have a question for anyone who has 2 cell phones.

I have a 13 pro and got a great deal on a slightly used se 2022 on Facebook marketplace. My original intention was for this to be for my mother but she does not want the phone. Obviously this isn’t something I can return and would have to try to resell. I am now wondering if I should just keep it as a backup phone/media player.

I’ve taken up hiking and would like to take the se with me instead of my 13 pro in case something happens to it. I’m quite clumsy. Is it possible to just switch the sim between the 2 iPhones? And on a semi regular basis? I have Verizon wireless.

When I switch will my phone number automatically go to whichever has the sim in it? Like calls will automatically start coming through that one? They will both be connected to the same Apple ID. Also would there be any issues with Verizon like fees or anything?

Anyone that has 2 iPhones have any advice or input? Thank you!
I have two phones, but both have their own line. I take my 6s+ with me on walks. It was paid off in 2017, so I'd rather that break if something happens. My 11 Pro Max is still being paid off.

In your case though, switching SIMs isn't an issue. Your number is attached to the SIM, not the phone. So whatever phone the SIM card is in, that's the phone that's going to ring or take texts.

Your issue may be more of trying to keep things synced between the two phones.

ozapple

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2022
Don't know how it works in the states, but here (Australia), you can put a cheap pre-paid SIM in a second phone and call-divert your main number to it from the 'good' phone.

This would only work for calls though as far as I'm aware. Somebody may know a way to divert messages..?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Don't know how it works in the states, but here (Australia), you can put a cheap pre-paid SIM in a second phone and call-divert your main number to it from the 'good' phone.

This would only work for calls though as far as I'm aware. Somebody may know a way to divert messages..?
That's Call Forwarding (in the US). Usually a hassle if you're only forwarding calls for a short while. The hassle of swapping the SIM before or after a hike is minor in comparison.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Has the SE 2022 caused you any eye strain or headaches?
I get normal Eye strain if I don’t practice common sense habits like taking breaks, blinking, and so forth. But nothing extraordinary like I experienced with OLED panels or previous versions of LCD panels.

Regarding my past issues with LCD: On the 2020 SE and my original XR, the white was too glaringly bright and contrasty. LCD panels don’t seem to have a white point setting but my issue was I needed one on those phones. The white seared my eyeballs.

I’m happy to say that on the newer made XR I briefly had last year and on my current iPhone 11 and SE 2022, everything about the panels seems more harmonious and conducive to better eye comfort.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Is it possible to just switch the sim between the 2 iPhones? And on a semi regular basis?

Yes, as stated above, it’s pretty easy to swap the SIM into another phone and make that one active with the ph #.

But

It’s not something I personally would want to do every time I’d want to go for a hike.
The SIM card is very tiny and fragile. The SIM tray is tiny too. If you’re kinda clumsy, it’s easy to drop the SIM card and kinda finicky fitting it into the tray.
Maybe it’s unwarranted, but I never feel comfortable swapping a SIM. If something goes wrong, you’re royally screwed.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Yes, it’ll basically just work. You might get notifications about your phone number and that a new phone is using your number, but apart from that and that apps like WhatsApp will be locked out until you log back in there’s nothing to worry about. Much fun with your duo
:)

Last edited:

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I get normal Eye strain if I don’t practice common sense habits like taking breaks, blinking, and so forth. But nothing extraordinary like I experienced with OLED panels or previous versions of LCD panels.

Regarding my past issues with LCD: On the 2020 SE and my original XR, the white was too glaringly bright and contrasty. LCD panels don’t seem to have a white point setting but my issue was I needed one on those phones. The white seared my eyeballs.

I’m happy to say that on the newer made XR I briefly had last year and on my current iPhone 11 and SE 2022, everything about the panels seems more harmonious and conducive to better eye comfort.
Maybe you could use slight color filters to combat that if you ever get another iPhone with such an issue? I’ve had iPhones with similar problems and slightly adjusting the display color with a color filter helped a lot.

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
Yes, it’ll basically just work. You might get notifications about your phone number and that a new phone is using your number, but apart from that and that apps like WhatsApp will be locked out until you log back in there’s nothing to worry about. Much fun with your duo
:)
Whatsapp will work unless he uses it on the other phone. I wish it supported multiple devices like Telegram

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Whatsapp will work unless he uses it on the other phone. I wish it supported multiple devices like Telegram
Exactly, it logs you out and you can’t use it on both phones. So stpd but that’s Facebook for ya. Oh, Meta, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.