Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleForeigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Canada
As the title suggests, I plan to switch from an android to an iPhone. I will be getting the iPhone 8 plus once it is available. My questions are:

• Do I have to enact the fingerprint scan (or face scan if I decide at the last minute to get an X)? Is there a way to only have an passcode and never have the fingerprint scan enabled?

• Can I delete stock apps and apps created by Apple? For examaple on my android, I could go to settings > apps> then choose to delete non Google made app or disable a Google map app.

• Can I make certain apps, primarily social media apps, ONLY work over wifi? I didn't have this option with an android unless I turned off data. I want to be able to have my data on and be able to use Google Maps, but not have any other apps that work on data work. With an android I only had the option to turn off background data.

• Can I set up imessage to not store messages on my phone and auto saved on my dropbox, iCloud, or google drive?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As the title suggests, I plan to switch from an android to an iPhone. I will be getting the iPhone 8 plus once it is available. My questions are:

• Do I have to enact the fingerprint scan (or face scan if I decide at the last minute to get an X)? Is there a way to only have an passcode and never have the fingerprint scan enabled?

• Can I delete stock apps and apps created by Apple? For examaple on my android, I could go to settings > apps> then choose to delete non Google made app or disable a Google map app.

• Can I make certain apps, primarily social media apps, ONLY work over wifi? I didn't have this option with an android unless I turned off data. I want to be able to have my data on and be able to use Google Maps, but not have any other apps that work on data work. With an android I only had the option to turn off background data.

• Can I set up imessage to not store messages on my phone and auto saved on my dropbox, iCloud, or google drive?
You don't have to use Touch ID (or Face ID) and can just use a PIN or a password (or nothing at all) if you want.

You can delete most of the stock apps.

You can set so that various apps don't use cellular data.

There's not much you can do about iMessage. You can delete messages yourself, but they won't be synchronized somewhere, at least not yet (at some point with iOS 11 there's supposed to be some type of support for iMessage iCloud sync).

Last edited:

AppleForeigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Canada
You don't have to use Touch ID (or Face ID) and can just use a PIN or a password (or nothing at all) if you want.

You can delete most of the stock apps.

You can set so that various apps don't use cellular data.

There's not much you can do about iMessage. You can delete messages yourself, but they won't be in synchronized somewhere, at least not yet (at some point in iOS 11 there's supposed to be some type of support for iMessage iCloud sync).

My mom has an iPhone 6 plus and would like to remove apps and make only certain apps work on cellular data too. How do I delete stock apps and apple apps off the phone? How do I set apps so they don't use cellular data?

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
661C6ED7-51B9-43AB-B545-A8ED75569636.png

@AppleForeigner To restrict certain apps to WiFi, flick off the toggles for each individual app you see in Settings > Cellular - example shown above.

EDIT: Credit to @C DM for posting the official support link as well!

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

1. Yes you can only choose to have a passcode instead of touch I'D

2. Yes you can delete stock apps ( you can download them from the app store if you want them later)

3. Yes you can control what apps work over mobile data.

4. No. If you delete the messages on your phone, they will be deleted from icloud as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.