Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I've been thinking about getting rid of my @gmail email and move completely to @me. My personal email is @gmail and is tied to my Apple ID (my only one) and my iCloud accounts, and I thought of some steps to take to move everything.

- create the new @me from iOS.
- switch my Apple ID from the old @gmail to @me.
- un-sync my @gmail iCloud and delete it.
- create a new iCloud using the new @me address
- reset my iTunes and App Store Apple IDs

Will this work? If not, what should I do?

Last edited:

shaun319

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
I would stick with gmail. Honestly, I am an apple fanboy but I don't think they can compete with gmail when it comes to email. Atleast not yet.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

I'm probably going to keep my gmail for now and see if Apple gets on par or better with their mail service, then switch. I might move a few minor things over to the me account for now.

But I really want to know if the steps I laid out will work.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Is it really worth the trouble to go from an e-mail service with five 9's uptime over the past 5 years to one that can barely get off the ground?
Agreed. I had an @mac address for years (still do until MM is killed for good) even through the MobileMe fiasco, but when Apple announced iCloud I said "Enough is enough!" and bailed to gmail. I am so glad I did, and would never even consider going back. If Apple couldn't make a solid mail client when it was $99/year what makes you think they will be any better for free?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think I will keep my gmail address for now, but I will keep an eye on iCloud's email service then switch later. I already made my @me address, so I could fall back on that if and when the time comes.

:apple:

Does this stage work? I haven't been able to do this bit. :(

Yes, go to https://appleid.apple.com, go to Manage Account, login, and you can change your Apple ID and email. You might have to verify the new address.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Personally I would (and did) stick with Gmail for e-mail, but sync contacts and calendars with iCloud.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I still use my GMail account as my AppleID. Apple won't allow you to use your iCloud ID as your AppleID.

So, I have GMail forward all mail to my @me address. Benefit is iCloud push notifications, and I've also got a better email address.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I was a MobileMe customer so I just did the http://www.me.com/move and now my iCloud Apple id is userid@me.com and the email for it is userid@me.com. So are you saying that if you are a brand new customer that you can not simply create a userid@me.com for your iCloud ID and email address? Would they make you create an Apple ID from some other email address and then create the userid@me.com email address? The reason I ask this is that I just assumed that if you wanted to move from gmail.com to me.com you would just start by creating a new iCloud ID with a new me.com ID. And then start to forward your old gmail.com email to your new me.com email.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I was a MobileMe customer so I just did the http://www.me.com/move and now my iCloud Apple id is userid@me.com and the email for it is userid@me.com. So are you saying that if you are a brand new customer that you can not simply create a userid@me.com for your iCloud ID and email address? Would they make you create an Apple ID from some other email address and then create the userid@me.com email address? The reason I ask this is that I just assumed that if you wanted to move from gmail.com to me.com you would just start by creating a new iCloud ID with a new me.com ID. And then start to forward your old gmail.com email to your new me.com email.
This will create an iCloud ID fine, but if you already have an iTunes/Apple Store ID that uses your gmail address you cannot change that so you end up with 2 Apple IDs. Very confusing. For example my original Apple ID that I used for purchases is my old @swbell.net address, and I also have a MobileMe ID that was created for me, but I cannot merge the 2. I assume if I converted to iCloud it would allow me to use my MobileMe ID, but that is still 2 individual IDs that I would have to keep track of. Apple really needs to do something about this mess.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
This will create an iCloud ID fine, but if you already have an iTunes/Apple Store ID that uses your gmail address you cannot change that so you end up with 2 Apple IDs. Very confusing. For example my original Apple ID that I used for purchases is my old @swbell.net address, and I also have a MobileMe ID that was created for me, but I cannot merge the 2. I assume if I converted to iCloud it would allow me to use my MobileMe ID, but that is still 2 individual IDs that I would have to keep track of. Apple really needs to do something about this mess.
OK, so you actually used your iTunes ID for you iCloud ID and then added your me.com address to that. Could you have just created a new iCloud ID with the me.com address you wanted to use and kept you @sebell.net for iTunes Only? For me, I like have my iTunes ID separate so I can easily share purchase's with my wife but we wanted to keep everything else separate so we wanted our own iCloud and email setup with our me.com addresses.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
OK, so you actually used your iTunes ID for you iCloud ID and then added your me.com address to that. Could you have just created a new iCloud ID with the me.com address you wanted to use and kept you @sebell.net for iTunes Only? For me, I like have my iTunes ID separate so I can easily share purchase's with my wife but we wanted to keep everything else separate so we wanted our own iCloud and email setup with our me.com addresses.
Keeping them separate is no problem but many people don't want that. If separate is OK with you then great, you already do what you want. Actually I have not created an iCloud account or moved my MM account to iCloud, and I don't intend to do so until they get things straightened out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.