Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I mean... I can't possibly recommend that particular order. I would definitely plug the new one in first, get it the way you want, then wipe the old one.

+1 to the above... You can have AppleTV's mirror the Home Screen of the original, which should set them up exactly the same way. I do this in our household where we have three AppleTV's, but no matter which, they all look the same (same apps installed, all icons in same spots, etc).

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
tvOS doesn't backup app settings or system settings. You can enable the One Home Screen setting on your old Apple TV and it will setup the new one with the same apps and home screen order. But you will have to re-login to everything.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, do it in the order suggested in #3 & #4: get the new one set up BEFORE wiping the existing one. If you like how the existing one is set up, use that "one Home Screen" option linked in #2 to basically duplicate the setup on the new one.

AFTER the new one is as you want it, then you can wipe the old one and sell it or give it away. Doing it the order you (OP) seem to be implying in post #1 would not leave you with a "one Home Screen" to duplicate. You would have to manually get the new one's apps in the positions where you have them on the existing one.

Last edited:

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
tvOS doesn't backup app settings or system settings. You can enable the One Home Screen setting on your old Apple TV and it will setup the new one with the same apps and home screen order. But you will have to re-login to evrerything.
That's a total pain the a** - they should transfer logins as well - but they don't.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Would be nice if there was a wizard to transfer from old to new. Or iCloud backup/restore. Sucks to have to login to so many apps again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.