Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrleonhuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Washington DC
Hello everyone,

I have a LG ultrawide monitor(2560*1080). I used SwithcResX to customize resolution as 2560*1080 when I was using Yosemite.

But after I upgraded to El Capitan, the SwitchResX does't work anymore. I am using version 4.5.2. I turned off the SIP as instructed in SwitchResX website.
terminal-png.590197

I used the custom resolution parameters that I used in Yosemite, but it is always showing "not Installed"(I did restart).
swtich-png.590198

Although the SwtichResX website shows it supports El Capitan since version 4.5.2. But it doesn't work for me. And other 3rd party applications, for example, QuickRes, seem to be not supporting custom resolution. How you guys who need to custom resolution fix this problem?

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem solved.

It should be a bug from El Capitan. I did a clean install the El Capitan, and used Migration Assistant to restore my files. ( I am not sure if this step makes difference)

Then I removed the SwitchResX completely. And created a new user, and installed a new SwitchResX from this new user. And it worked!

Thank you for the solution from :
http://surajms.com/2015/04/fixing-switchresx-saving-issue/

Attachments

• terminal.png
    terminal.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 9,253
  • swtich.png
    swtich.png
    103 KB · Views: 9,259
Last edited:

mjturner

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Godalming, United Kingdom
I've not tried that particular resolution but I had no problem using SwitchResX to create a custom 3840x2400 (= 1920x1200 HiDPI) resolution for use on my 13" rMBP. I did have to disable SIP to allow for the resolution profile to be saved, but it worked fine (I re-enabled afterwards, as disabling is only only needed for the initial creation of the profile).

mrleonhuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Washington DC
I've not tried that particular resolution but I had no problem using SwitchResX to create a custom 3840x2400 (= 1920x1200 HiDPI) resolution for use on my 13" rMBP. I did have to disable SIP to allow for the resolution profile to be saved, but it worked fine (I re-enabled afterwards, as disabling is only only needed for the initial creation of the profile).

Thank you for the information. I have 2 questions:

1. After you disable SIP, and you enter "csrutil status", does it show the information above as my screenshot? like "System Integrity Protection Status : enabled (Custom Configuration)".

2. When you created the custom resolution and save it, does it show "need reboot" or "not installed"?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I never got SwitchResX to work on El Capitan, but I use QuickRes and it works perfectly. It's only $5.
http://www.quickresapp.com

I can get custom resolutions, HiDPI modes, etc. I use it to force my Cintiq Companion 2 into retina mode (it has 1440p on 13" screen which is retina ppi). And it's much easier to use than SwitchResX if you only need custom resolutions. Also, it doesn't require to switch off rootless/SIP.

Please note, I'm not in any way affiliated with them, I just really like the app :)

mrleonhuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Washington DC
I never got SwitchResX to work on El Capitan, but I use QuickRes and it works perfectly
http://www.quickresapp.com

I can get custom resolutions, HiDPI modes, etc. I use it to force my Cintiq Companion 2 into retina mode (it has 1440p on 13" screen which is retina ppi). And it's much easier to use than SwitchResX if you only need custom resolutions. It's only $5.

Please note, I'm not in any way affiliated with them, I just really like the app :)

I really want try it. But I heard it does not support custom resolution. For example, does it support 2560*1080 (21:9)?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I really want try it. But I heard it does not support custom resolution. For example, does it support 2560*1080 (21:9)?

Hmmmm, I don't have that resolution listed. Then again, perhaps it's monitor dependent. Anyway, I guess you need SwitchResX then :( Sorry, my mistake.

G.Felix

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2017
I tried here, create new user and it continues "Not Installed"
[doublepost=1492490845][/doublepost]Não fix here!!

El Capitan - Ultrawide 34 - mac mini 2012
Tunderbolt to hdmi

i try 4 times creat new user... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.