Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmeulen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
The Netherlands
Swyping right on iOS9 and 9.1 home screen brings you some news highlights. Not that exciting yet however when configuring 'general > Language & region > Advanced >' and disable automatic and put in your language of choice it will bring you Dutch, Italian or other country oriented news headlines.
Might only work when iPhone language is English and Region is set to United States. This setting brings you the new news app as well.

Feel free to give it a try. I am reading the headlines of NU, AD and NOS in the spotlight search screen (swype right).

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Swyping right on iOS9 and 9.1 home screen brings you some news highlights. Not that exciting yet however when configuring 'general > Language & region > Advanced >' and disable automatic and put in your language of choice it will bring you Dutch, Italian or other country oriented news headlines.
Might only work when iPhone language is English and Region is set to United States. This setting brings you the new news app as well.

Feel free to give it a try. I am reading the headlines of NU, AD and NOS in the spotlight search screen (swype right).

The swipping right thing works on iPhone 6 but NOT iPad Mini 3 , no highlights there . Any idea please ?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I have my region set to 'Germany' and all I get are App and Contacts suggestions. No nearby places, no news.
Anyone from Germany who have these in their Siri suggestions?

rmeulen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
The Netherlands
The shipping right thing works on iPhone 6 but NOT iPad Mini 3 . Any idea please ?
Works on iphone 5s but I don't have it working on iPad2. Apparently the feature right swype is not available for older devices, however iPad mini 3 is not that old.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
The swipping right thing works on iPhone 6 but NOT iPad Mini 3 , no highlights there . Any idea please ?
I have an iPad mini 2 and it works. Give it some time and check that you have Siri Suggestions enabled under Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Siri Suggestions.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I have an iPad mini 2 and it works. Give it some time and check that you have Siri Suggestions enabled under Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Siri Suggestions.

Thank you ! I just found that out on another tread where someone was asking how to turn it off so I did it the other way round and all is good ! It was driving me nuts to have that on iPhone and not iPad ;-)

Reactions: marvz

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I asked before but how can you specify the news source? CNN is not a source I trust or like.

I'm afraid it's not possible , I feel the same way about CNN and don't have it turned on in NewsApp so it's not related

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
I have my region set to 'Germany' and all I get are App and Contacts suggestions. No nearby places, no news.
Anyone from Germany who have these in their Siri suggestions?
I do!

m5w4ri9g.jpg

Screenshot shows iPhone 6 running iOS 9.0 (13A344).
I also have the same news on my iPad Air 2.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I do!

m5w4ri9g.jpg

Screenshot shows iPhone 6 running iOS 9.0 (13A344).
I also have the same news on my iPad Air 2.
Thank you! Did it work from the beginning? and your Region is set to Germany, right?
I see you don't have nearby places either.. very strange. I set my device language to English but this can't be the reason for missing Siri suggestions or?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Thank you! Did it work from the beginning? and your Region is set to Germany, right?
I see you don't have nearby places either.. very strange. I set my device language to English but this can't be the reason for missing Siri suggestions or?
Yes, I had this from the beginning on both of my devices. Region is Germany, correct.

And no, setting the phone language to English could not be the reason, I guess, as long as the region is Germany....

But as you said - nearby places are missing. I didn't notice that until you told me :confused:;)
I wonder how we could get them, too....?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Yes, I had this from the beginning on both of my devices. Region is Germany, correct.

And no, setting the phone language to English could not be the reason, I guess, as long as the region is Germany....

But as you said - nearby places are missing. I didn't notice that until you told me :confused:;)
I wonder how we could get them, too....?
Okay, thanks again. I think, I will just wait.. perhaps it's some kind of server side problem..
And no, I don't know either. Even maps, if you are typing a search, there are no round-nearby-places-buttons (if you know what I mean). These are probably the same as these buttons in Siri Suggestions. Don't know why they are missing.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I am in Germany, with an iPhone 5s running the official iOS 9 build (13A344), and I don't have nearby places, or news or even the wikipedia results integrated in the search results screen. My phone is in italian and the region was originally set to Italy (I've since changed it to Germany with no difference).
The thing is that I was running the GM until a few days ago (I'm a registered developer), and I did receive the news (for Italy, as the region was Italy then), and the wikipedia results.
When iOS 9 was released officially I've restored the phone to factory settings and set it up as a new phone, and I've lost the wiki and news.
I don't know if it's a server load issue (the App store is also being very very slow for me in these past couple of days), or something else. I haven't touched the preferences for Spotlight suggestions (apart from switching it off and on and rebooting a few times with no results).

I'm also running El Capitan GM on a developer laptop and I've tested right now the spotlight search: it shows wiki and news results correctly.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
my iPhone 6 is set to "Vereinigte Staaten" and i still get the news in german. i think it relies on your actual location like gps?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 115

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
my iPhone 6 is set to "Vereinigte Staaten" and i still get the news in german. i think it relies on your actual location like gps?
But your language is still german, maybe that's the setting that influences it.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
But your language is still german, maybe that's the setting that influences it.
My iPad mini 2 has language set to German and region is also set to Germany but like on my iPhone I only see App and Contact suggestions... very strange.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I understood Apple news though would be a standalone app? Not a overview spotlight section..

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
It's two different things: Apple News is a standalone app currently available in the US only (or if you set your location to be the US, the app appears in your home screen). The News section in the search screen is just a selection of latest news picked from sources that may be relevant to you: when you tap on the preview, Safari opens and goes to the link on the website, so it's not connected to Apple News the app.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hey I just discovered one weird thing: if I turn off WIFI, suddenly I get the news previews in the spotlight screen (in italian: I have the phone in Italian, live in Germany and my region is set as Germany: so the news are definitely tied to your phone language and not to the region -- I'm talking about the news in the spotlight screen, not the news app: they are unrelated!), as well as the wikipedia results... turn wifi back on and they stop working. Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: marvz

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Hey I just discovered one weird thing: if I turn off WIFI, suddenly I get the news previews in the spotlight screen (in italian: I have the phone in Italian, live in Germany and my region is set as Germany: so the news are definitely tied to your phone language and not to the region -- I'm talking about the news in the spotlight screen, not the news app: they are unrelated!), as well as the wikipedia results... turn wifi back on and they stop working. Can anyone confirm?
I will try it!
Edit: it works!! Turned WiFi off, swyped right, for a few seconds nothing was displayed and now I see App and Contact Suggestions AND news. And yes, these news are displayed in your device's language. Very strange.
Edit 2: turned WiFi back on, for the first minutes news were still shown but now they are gone again. So they only work over cellular?! ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.