Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have pointed out to Transport NSW IT people that the PDF timetables that can be downloaded from their website causes Preview to crash on my two Mac computers. They also display a black screen when I try to view them with an iPad.
The helpful (!) response was a list of web browsers that are compatible with their website.

If you don’t mind crashing Preview try downloading the Manly Ferry (F1) timetable.

It would be good to know how a PDF can cause the crash so it can be fixed in Preview (even a “cannot open” message would be useful)

Note that it is possible that the PDF is doing worse things in Windows.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Note that it is possible that the PDF is doing worse things in Windows.

You didn't provide a link. Using D.T.'s link, I tried all of the following browsers and it works fine in all of them:
  • Internet Explorer Windows 10
  • Edge Windows 10
  • Chrome Windows 10
  • Firefox Windows 10
  • Safari iPad iOS10
  • Safari iPhone iOS10

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
This is the link that displayed black after the first page on my ipad
https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/09-F1-Manly-20171126-20171215.pdf
But it no longer does this so hopefully the bug has been fixed (but I haven’t yet checked it with Preview on a Mac). If so it would have been nice for them to thank me for alerting them. And I wouln’t have raised it here.
This PDF opens without issue on my iPhone SE (11.2.1) and a MacBook Air 2013 (10.13.2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.