Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
" In addition, the console is being designed to provide a view of the most recent viruses found on each Macintosh within the network along with the 10 most prevalent viruses."

Ooo, that'll provide whole seconds of entertainment :rolleyes:

So is the previous lack of this IT tool the reason my college IT department insisted on taking my PB from me for 12 hours and installing the anti virus software themselves?

It pissed me off to no end. I take it to them and tell them I'm a pretty advanced user, I think I can install it myself. The guy at the desk answers "yeah but we have to do it"
me - "why?"
them - "because you can't do it on a Mac, we have to do it"

I let it go at that. I was always told it wasn't proper manners to harm someone you've only just met. I'll find him later in the year...

*cough*
Excuse the small tangent...

First post?

Tyler

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Earendil said:
So is the previous lack of this IT tool the reason my college IT department insisted on taking my PB from me for 12 hours and installing the anti virus software themselves?

I would tell them to "F" off... Not sure why your college would even require antivirus software... there is probably more to it than I know.

Anyways, I wish there was a way to connect to the Corporate Server via OS X to see which PCs were infected, that's what I want.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
ZildjianKX said:
I would tell them to "F" off... Not sure why your college would even require antivirus software... there is probably more to it than I know.

Anyways, I wish there was a way to connect to the Corporate Server via OS X to see which PCs were infected, that's what I want.

Well they wouldn't allow my computer on the network until I did...so I played along.

I figured it was because they wouldn't know for sure if I had any virus software at all on my computer. Not sure how this concerns them much. but I guess it's better safe than sorry. with this client I assume they can tell if anti virus software is running on a windows computer remotely?

The funny/sad/sickening thing is, on the 3rd day of class a nasty virus hit our school. We were apparently the first people to report the virus to Nortan, so things have been slow on the recovery side. They basically had to shut down each individual dorm building until every computer in that dorm was disinfected. There is a firewall/proxy server to the outside world, but not between dorm buildings on the network. So once it's in, it's in.

the virus apparently spreads like the flu, and shuts down network activity, or does some hocus pocus so that the IT department is unable to remotely help Windows PCs. Each infected PC must be taken to the IT department.

This left me without internet for a long period of time, which was sad as I'm not the problem :(

Tyler

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Earendil said:
" In addition, the console is being designed to provide a view of the most recent viruses found on each Macintosh within the network along with the 10 most prevalent viruses."

Ooo, that'll provide whole seconds of entertainment :rolleyes:

It pissed me off to no end. I take it to them and tell them I'm a pretty advanced user, I think I can install it myself. The guy at the desk answers "yeah but we have to do it"
me - "why?"
them - "because you can't do it on a Mac, we have to do it"

I let it go at that. I was always told it wasn't proper manners to harm someone you've only just met. I'll find him later in the year...

*cough*
Excuse the small tangent...

First post?

Tyler
That requirement that THEY install the AV software on Macs is just...odd. It needs to go!

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
sjk said:
I thought this was MacRumors, not MacDailyNews. :rolleyes:

what's wrong with macdailynews? i just found out about that site, and i like it a lot. it has just as many, if not more frequent updates than macbytes. there are a lot of stories i only hear from there as well. long live macdailynews.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Wonder Boy said:
what's wrong with macdailynews?
Read enough user comments there and my remark to Earendil will eventually make sense. :)
It was sarcastic humor, if anyone even cares. Actually MDN has been relatively calm and civil lately, especially without the political firestorms.

Btw, that's a classic clueless IT story, Earendil. It's both sad and comical how their strict, stubborn Windows-centric antivirus policy insisted on making unnecessary hassles for you with controlling, fearful, reactive behavior that exposed their ignorance about Mac OS X. Any negotiations under those circumstances can be hopelessly frustrating but getting too pissed-off only seems to counterproductively fuel their delusions. Good "luck"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.