Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I use iCloud drive to sync my desktop and documents folders between my iMac, macbook and ios devices. Is it possible to add a windows machine to this setup, so that the windows desktop and documents folders are in sync with the other devices. I realize that it requires a workaround, since icloud drive on windows is itself a folder.

Thank you

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Should be possible. I havn't tested it. But you can remove your home folders on Windows.
Heres how:
  1. Open an Explorer window
  2. Click the little arrow left to the first folder
  3. Choose your home folder on the list, it will be the folder with your Username
  4. Right-click the desktop folder and select Properties
  5. Click the tab "Location"
  6. Click the button Move... and navigate to the iCloud Desktop folder, and that should be it.
When you navigate to the iCloud Desktop folder, be a little precise with when you click "Open" in the dialog box. If you select the wrong folder, it can mess with your desktop.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Worked. Thanks!

Should be possible. I havn't tested it. But you can remove your home folders on Windows.
Heres how:
  1. Open an Explorer window
  2. Click the little arrow left to the first folder
  3. Choose your home folder on the list, it will be the folder with your Username
  4. Right-click the desktop folder and select Properties
  5. Click the tab "Location"
  6. Click the button Move... and navigate to the iCloud Desktop folder, and that should be it.
When you navigate to the iCloud Desktop folder, be a little precise with when you click "Open" in the dialog box. If you select the wrong folder, it can mess with your desktop.

Reactions: Lunder89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.