Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anorak783

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Hi,

I hope all are well and safe from the Covid-19 outbreak.

I use some old Mac equipment which serves me well and I have no desire to upgrade:

* A 2008 Macbook Pro running MacOS 10.11.6

* An iPhone 6 running iOS 12.4.6

I also don’t trust cloud storage with my personal data unless I absolutely have to, so I do not have iCloud Photo Library Sharing switched on for my photos.

Is there a way to import my photos from my iPhone into the Photos App on my MacBook, edit them and then re-sync the edited images back into the iPhone? Syncing using iTunes with the iPhone connected via a USB cable only seems to sync in one direction: from the iPhone to the MacBook. There doesn’t seem to be a way to perform the sync the other way, from the MacBook back to the iPhone.

Can anyone advise how to do this, preferably without using any third-party apps/software.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions offered.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
If the photos are ones that were taken on the phone, you can import them directly into Photos like you would from a digital camera. Plug the phone into your Mac and launch the Photos app. Your phone should appear in the sidebar. You can select it and import the photos from the “camera roll” into Photos. Note the checkbox to delete the photos off the phone. Once all the photos are in the Photos app on your Mac, you can sync them back to the phone via iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.