Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
It already set up my gmail on my iPhone for me, but, it doesn't really "sync" But that i mean, if i have read messages on my Mail.app, they will show up as unread on the iPhone, and vice versa. I thought that was the whole point of syncing?

I would think, even if it pulled the messages off the server when i'm on wifi, that when i plugged it in if all those messages were already viewed on my Mac, they would be all changed to "read" on my iPhone....is this not the point of syncing?

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
It already set up my gmail on my iPhone for me, but, it doesn't really "sync" But that i mean, if i have read messages on my Mail.app, they will show up as unread on the iPhone, and vice versa. I thought that was the whole point of syncing?

I would think, even if it pulled the messages off the server when i'm on wifi, that when i plugged it in if all those messages were already viewed on my Mac, they would be all changed to "read" on my iPhone....is this not the point of syncing?

i wondered how they would deal with this.

also, if you delete a message, it should move to trash on the other device. both should be a mirror image of each other, otherwise its no better than other products that don't have that apple integration going for them.

very disappointing, hope they add this feature.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

This may be purely an issue of GMail... it behaves that way when you use any two *other* POP devices also (e.g. two Macs, a Mac and a PC, etc). You'll note that, with any POP client, the webmail interface also does not recognize that messages were marked as read in the POP client.

You can find a number of threads about this issue from back when GMail first came out.

If you try another POP e-mail service, I suspect you'll find it behaves the way you expect it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.