Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
i dont see any technological reason why this cant be done, as i say the technology is there, wifi has the bandwidth, there are already apps that can sync the iPhone outside of Itunes, just making this available over wireless would be the next logical step.
obviously apple dont hand out sweets to kids too often in fear of making them sick (ok crap analogy)

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
i dont see any technological reason why this cant be done, as i say the technology is there, wifi has the bandwidth, there are already apps that can sync the iPhone outside of Itunes, just making this available over wireless would be the next logical step.
obviously apple dont hand out sweets to kids too often in fear of making them sick (ok crap analogy)

I was doing it via Bluetooth with my Treo, so it can be done. Apple just needs a way to charge you for it through iTunes first.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It can be done, but not by us ... by Apple.

We'd have to make some sort of Wi-Fi/USB spoofer ... where iTunes thinks that the iPhone is connected via USB when it is actually just connected over wireless SFTP.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
I was doing it via Bluetooth with my Treo, so it can be done. Apple just needs a way to charge you for it through iTunes first.

Bingo[\B]. While it seems ridiculous off hand, Apple doesn't give much for free... There won't be a "pay per sync" feature for wireless syncing, I'm sure of that, but I would NOT be surprised at all if it becomes a part if some paid upgrade to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.