Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
I have,
  1. Photos taken by a digital camera.
  2. Photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring).
  3. Photos taken by my iPhone(after restoring).
My iPhone has many problems, and I'm planning to restore it again.

My questions is:

How do I add the photos taken by the digital camera, photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring and after restoring), and in that sequence to my iPhone after restoring my iPhone again?

Please give me step by step procedures if possible. I'm not very familiar with iOS(12) and macOS(High Sierra).

Thanks.

ps. I'm using Photos(iOS and macOS)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have,
  1. Photos taken by a digital camera.
  2. Photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring).
  3. Photos taken by my iPhone(after restoring).

Where are these photos, on your iPhone? If they are on your iPhone you can use image capture app on your Mac to copy them to your hard disk. If they are in iCloud it isn't as easy if you want to preserve the original resolution.

If the pictures are important to you then this would be the right step in setting up a 3-3-3 or similar backup strategy.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Where are these photos, on your iPhone? If they are on your iPhone you can use image capture app on your Mac to copy them to your hard disk. If they are in iCloud it isn't as easy if you want to preserve the original resolution.

If the pictures are important to you then this would be the right step in setting up a 3-3-3 or similar backup strategy.

1.Photos taken by a digital camera - on my Mac(not added to the Photos).
2.Photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring) - on my Mac(added to the Photos).
3.Photos taken by my iPhone(after restoring) - on my iPhone.

What's a 3-3-3 backup strategy?

Moreover, how do I add photos taken by a digital camera to the Photos(macOS) before the photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring) since they're already in the Photos(macOS)?

How do I download the photos taken by my iPhone(after restoring) and add them to the Photos(macOS) after the photos taken by my iPhone(before restoring)?

How do I "sync the photos"?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Get your iPhone pictures back on to your iPhone.

Get your other camera pictures on to your Mac.

Use FileBrowser to copy the pictures from your Mac to your iPhone

FileBrowser - Document Manager by Stratospherix Ltd

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
If you have enough iCloud storage, you can set both iPhone and Mac to use iCloud Photo Library, set Mac Photos to keep originals (and iPhone too if you want), let it sync. Then add your photos from your digital camera and your previous iPhone photos to your Photos library on Mac if they are not there yet and let it all sync again.

The added benefit is that all new photos will automatically download to your Mac and you’ll be able to back them up using Time Machine.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What's a 3-3-3 backup strategy?

Three different backups on 3 different media types in 3 different locations. One location should be fireproof/secure, such as a Bank Deposit box. On-line backup services such as CrashPlan or Backblaze are also possible locations. Tape is often the 3rd media type, but since that is impractical for most non-business uses just make sure that if 2 of the media types are hard disks that they are from different vendors ideally, or different models from the same vendor.

One decision when setting up a Photos library is whether photos are placed in the library itself or referenced by the library. The advantages of "by reference" storage is that it is easy to back up just the photos, and the individual files are easy to find. The photos database would then be backed up separately.

I don't completely understand all of the intricacies of Photos as I use Adobe's lightroom. When I get new photos, either from my iPhone or a camera, I place them in folders on my hard disk, renaming the files as I do. [That way you don't have 100 files named "image001.jpg"]. Then I import them into the appropriate program.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
I'm trying to add the photos to the Photos(macOS) in that sequence. And sync the photos from the Photos(macOS) in that sequence to my iPhone.

Besides, my iCloud is not big enough.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To add photos to the MacOS Photos app you can just drag and drop them into the app. Or you can open Photos and goto File > Import....

Photos within the Photos app are listed chronologically by their creation date. If that doesn't work for you then when you are in Photos you can right click the photo(s) > get info or press the "i" button. Then in the info screen double click on the date. There is no button, this almost feels like a hidden feature. From there you can change the creation date and time zone.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Photos within the Photos app are listed chronologically by their creation date. If that doesn't work for you then when you are in Photos you can right click the photo(s) > get info or press the "i" button. Then in the info screen double click on the date. There is no button, this almost feels like a hidden feature. From there you can change the creation date and time zone.

Thanks.

Last edited:

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
How do I add photos to the macOS Photos app from my iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.