Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I have a handful of videos that I'd like to be able to play on my Apple TV. I would like to be able to play them on my Apple TV directly without having to have my Mac on (for Apple TV app Home Sharing) and without AirPlay from my iPhone. Additionally I'd like to store these videos in iCloud Drive.

I have an AirPort Time Capsule, and I know using VLC or Infuse I can have a folder full of videos that I can then access, but this is a little clunky, and I'd rather those files be stored in iCloud Drive.

Are there any options?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple killed synching direct to AppleTV after the fantastic first generation. I still miss that terrific option myself. I wish current AppleTV came with a standardized USB port to which those interested could attach big storage and then synch media to it.

Unfortunately, the best option is stream them from a drive attached to any Mac or PC: TV app or iTunes for software.

Another option is to store the videos in your Photos library so you can stream and play them in the Photos app. If that photos library is uploaded to iCloud, it probably plays them streamed from there.

And then there are a variety of other apps that mostly revolve around streaming them from somewhere: typically a NAS, etc.

But best option is still best option.

Another option would be buy an alternative to AppleTV that will support synching on device- like one of those media playing HDDs- and put the movies on that thing. Plug it into another HDMI port and you'll have it all contained in one package.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Are there any options?
Given the criteria you laid out and requiring using you iCloud storage, besides iCloud Photos there are no options, only alternatives that you mentioned that you were not interested in (Plex, Infuse, iTunes, VLC, etc.).

Have you considered iCloud Photos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.