Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
This is as much as MacOS question as it is an iOS question.

I have LastPass and I have had it for a few years but about 6 to 12 months ago, I sorta got upset with it and decided to switch from FireFox to Safari everywhere and so I switched to just using Apple's iCloud password manager.

iOS 12 has new features so LastPass and others integrate better. Fine. The old integration was ok with me. But, I still see a few lacking issues with all of them (judging from review of 1Password, Dashline, and Keeper.

My complaints wit LastPass I'll not dive into but the thing I would like to see are timestamps when the password is created. This would help in a few ways. One is when you get into the icky situation where iCloud has one password and LastPass has an older password it would allow me to quickly figure out which one I want to use. Indeed, it would allow for automation of merging sets of passwords.

On top of that, it would also open the gate for either a manual rotate option or even an auto-rotate feature so that old passwords are rotated periodically. What is surprising is I don't see this feature anywhere.

So, my questions are:
  1. Is there a (simple) way to merge (for example) LastPass passwords into iCloud or push iCloud passwords out to LastPass?
  2. Is there a password manager that puts a timestamp of when the password was created?
  3. Is there a password manager that does either a manual password rotate or an automatic password rotate?
  4. Is there a password manager that alerts you when a password gets old?

The articles I've found say to not use iCloud as your password manager but use a third party because of these (insert list) reasons but the reasons they cite are juvenile and don't really have much if anything to do with security.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I use only 1Password. Works on all my devices and syncs between them. 1Password does 2 and 4. It doesn’t alert you but on the Mac old password get sorted in the side menu (6 months etc).

Reactions: pedzsan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.