Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I had thought this would be fairly common, but my Google-Fu failed to provide a good answer.

If I open items into iBooks (.pdf's and non-DRM .epub's from an email, Dropbox, or website) on my iPhone, I want to sync those books to my other iOS devices.

Seems a simple enough request, but iBooks seems incapable. The "collections" tab certainly syncs, but no content in those collections does. I've checked all settings, so I'm pretty sure I am not missing anything options wise. This seems logical, Apple only let's you sync data you have obtained through them. Fair enough.

Is manual syncing via iTunes my ONLY option to sync ebook data? That would be somewhat unfortunate, since I frequently add to my collection, and rarely have my iPad, MBP, and iP5 in the same place at the same time.

Is there an alternate reader that can do it? Something I am missing?

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
What I do is open the PDF or ePub file in Dropbox on my phone and my iPad. It can be time consuming if it's a huge PDF file but once the same file is on both devices, bookmarks and annotation begins to sync between them.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
What I do is open the PDF or ePub file in Dropbox on my phone and my iPad. It can be time consuming if it's a huge PDF file but once the same file is on both devices, bookmarks and annotation begins to sync between them.

In doing that, will iBooks automatically move those files into your different collections?

Definitely a time consuming option, but if that's my only one then so be it.

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
Oh I don't know about different collections, I keep all my files in one big list, sorry

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013

I do that as well, I put my file on dropbox so it will syn with my latpop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.