Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richsadams

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Resolved "Genius Sync" Issue

This issue was driving me a bit crazy as well. Every time I connected my iPhone 4 "Step 6 of 6" caused "Sync Genius Data" for 599 songs. It didn't take a long time, but I don't use iTunes Genius (no Genius Playlists in iTunes either) and it was annoying.

I'm running OS X v10.8.2 "Mountain Lion" and iTunes v11.0.1 using iTunes Match.

Here's how I resolved it including an odd quirk:

First I ensured that Genius was NOT turned on on my iTunes account, the iTunes app on my iMac as well as my iPhone.

• Open iTunes
  • Under the iTunes "Store" menu I turned iTunes Match off ("Turn Genius on/off under the "Store" menu isn't an option when iTunes Match is turned on.)
  • Checked "Genius" status under the "Store" menu drop-down to ensure that it was not "On".
  • Closed iTunes
  • Openend iTunes
  • Turned iTunes Match back on and let it do its thing.
  • Closed iTunes
  • Opened iTunes and connected my iPhone.

At this point no change - Step 6 of 6 the Genius sync started again.

However, I followed the exact same steps above once more. After the second time it stopped Genius syncing. I have no idea why doing this two times worked. It might have needed to update on iTunes Match and I just didn't give it enough time.

In any case, I've reconnected my iPhone several times since then and no more Genius syncs.

I don't know if this process will work for others, but hope it helps!

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Same here. I rarely use it so I've now turned it off in iTunes.

I don't even know what Genius does. Other than synchronize lots and lots of stuff. So I just turned it off a second ago. I suspect it has something to do with listening on-line which is something I'm not interested in doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.