Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
London
My iMessages sync between my iPhone and iPad fine, but with my new iMac that I've just set up, I can't get them to sync/ I'm sending messages from the mac to my friends iPhone, but it's all happening in a separate conversation rather than the one on my other devices.

The Apple ID is the same but I think it's because the phone number isn't on my mac, but I only have the option to add an email? Help please :D.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
It's a well known problem and there isn't anything you can do about it. There has even been an article from a former Apple employee blasting how iMessage lives in a universe where time is not ordered.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
London
It's a well known problem and there isn't anything you can do about it. There has even been an article from a former Apple employee blasting how iMessage lives in a universe where time is not ordered.
Actually I just managed to do it by disabling iMessage on iPhone and then re-enabling it, then a box came up on my mac after about 30 seconds asking if I wanted to add my phone number to iMessage :D. Thanks anyway :).

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You may still find that one or the other of your devices/computer does not always keep "up" with iMessage conversations.

It is a known issue and Apple will have to tweak it to fix it fully.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Mine always keep up not sure what he's talking about. iPhone 5 iPad 4 and MacBook Pro no issues

machv

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Thank you.

Actually I just managed to do it by disabling iMessage on iPhone and then re-enabling it, then a box came up on my mac after about 30 seconds asking if I wanted to add my phone number to iMessage :D. Thanks anyway :).

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Set up the phone first. Get all the "addresses" you want on it under whatever AppleID you intend to use.

Then sign out of the iPad AppleID and iMac iMessage AppleID.

When you sign back in on same AppleID used for iPhone, you should get some pop-ups when they synchronize (I set up iPad second, the iMac last)

Under 6.1.2, I have easily gotten all 3 to cooperate.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
iMessage works fine here. Set all your devices to use the Phone Number when sending messages and it should all work fine. I'm sitting here as we speak in a group conversation watching it all update correctly on my phone which is sitting next to my macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.