Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ns60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Is there a way to sync my MS Outlook notes using iCloud to my iPhone? and vice versa??

Has anyone got this working?

Much appreciated if you can help.
Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You Are Not Alone

Is there a way to sync my MS Outlook notes using iCloud to my iPhone? and vice versa??

Thanks.

But frankly, I don't even trust Outlook with my email....It's got more holes in it than a worn out fishing net....As for getting it to sync anything with iCloud? Not even Thunderbird will do that yet....Applemail is the best bet for now.

ns60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Appreciate the quick reply but Outlook is a must for me at work.

tuyentalent

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011

Thanks.

Apple does not allow us to hook into their proprietary apps and Notes on iPhone is one of those. So actually we have no way to sync any other notes to Notes in iCloud.

AppleD

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
There's an app called iMExchange2 that syncs notes from an Exchange server. I use it to read, update and delete my notes for work. It doesn't sync over to iCloud, but provides access to your notes on your iPhone.

ns60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
There's an app called iMExchange2 that syncs notes from an Exchange server. I use it to read, update and delete my notes for work. It doesn't sync over to iCloud, but provides access to your notes on your iPhone.

Thx AppleD but IMExchange is fairly useless. I've tried everything to get it working and no go. Support is non existent. I guess the search goes on.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Thx AppleD but IMExchange is fairly useless. I've tried everything to get it working and no go. Support is non existent. I guess the search goes on.

I have an issue syncing my outlook to the icloud as well.

bartlettpsj

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I have same problem. I can see no standard way - without third party apps - of syncing Notes from Outlook to iOS devices and vice versa.

I see all my Notes were imported into the cloud when I installed iCloud, but new Notes entered on the iOS devices and imac seem to be syncing nicely , but nothing appears in Outlook.

I found that using the old cable method with iTunes method did something, but also confused things too as a note i entered in Outlook did appear on the iOS devices, but one of the notes on the iOS devices duplicated itself!!

I think Apple have somework here to complete. Probably we can use the cable method, but I hope it doesn't generate too much duplication and confusion.

ns60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I agree with you. I think for me I'm turning off the iCloud stuff and syncing my notes with iTunes. Its too confusing otherwise.

Thanks!

bartlettpsj

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Actually, I think the issue is that notes are synced between iOS devices using the @me.com account (and IMAP protocol), whereas Outlook Notes are done the old way (iTunes interface to Outlook and cable).

I proved this as logged onto my iCloud, checked the @me.com email (which I do not use) and can see the notes that have been sync'ing. So I added iCloud mail to my Outlook (which is the me.com account) and I can see the notes in the @me.com account in the Outlook @me.com folder. You can't change or add to them though. They are basically just messages done through IMAP.

Clearly Apple :apple: haven't implemented a proper way of Sync'ing Notes with Outlook via iCloud. Bit of a shame for us who use Notes a lot. Best you stick with the cable until they finish the job :)

ns60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

AppleD said:

Hi again, so I started using imexchange. It was working ok but now I lost the ability to add or save notes. I'm missing the + sign in notes and can't save locally. Anyone come across this?

Thx!

rplow

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
iCloud & Outlook Notes

I have the same problem too.
I understand the latest version of MS Exchange Server DOES sync NOTES. Our backoffice hopefully will upgrade shortly.

iCloud does NOT seem to be a very good work-around.

I've also heard that 3rd party software like Companion Link offers a solution.

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
So I purchased the in-app upgrade on my iphone. According to the iMExchange website, this upgrade will also automatically apply to any iPad on the same iTunes account. Unfortunately when I open the program on my iPad I'm asked to pay once again. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've tried to ask the developer directly but no response.

mdb288

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Think you don't pay on second device

My memory is dim so forgive me if I am wrong

I think I had the same experience when I put it on my iPad after buying it for my iPhone...It looks like they want to charge u a second time...

But after you go through it all...it knows you already own it and it is free for the
Additional device

Btw...think it works great

Hope my memory serves me...sorry if wrong!

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I don't think there is automatic sync with outlook.

Once in a while you can connect your device using a cable/Wi-Fi to your PC and under "Info" in iTunes just select the "Notes" to sync with outlook. This helps all your notes in iOS devices to offload their "notes" to outlook.

Once you are done, you can uncheck that box and hit "Apply". You have to do this so in the future all the new notes in your iOS devices are being synced with other iOS devices and to store them in the iCloud.

Frankly we consumers are in a bad spot due to the infighting between Apple,Google and Microsoft. Each one trying to not support each other's ecosystem and more often than not, we have to rely on all three in our daily lives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.